GA-EP43-DS3L Network Speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP43-DS3L Network Speeds

I have a EP43-DS3L motherboard and my neighbor in my dorm has a M3A78-EM motherboard by Asus. Our dorm recently got a network upgrade, and we have been benchmarking our connection speeds.

I have been getting 85MB/s download and 10.5MB/s upload, while he is getting 260MB/s download and 10.5MB/s upload on speedtest.net. We are on the same connection and in fact only one room apart, and I have been trying to figure out the reason for this large difference.

I noticed that on both of our motherboard descriptions, the max LAN speed is listed as 10/100/1000 MBps. Is it possible that the motherboard is set for one of these in the bios settings, and mine is set for 100 and his 1000 for some reason? Is there some additional factor in the motherboard hardware I am unaware of that could explain this large difference?

Re: GA-EP43-DS3L Network Speeds

The connection speed depends not only on the motherboared but also the modem/router/switch it is connected to.
    Unless you have an extreme modem/router you will be connected at a 100Mbps.
    Yous should be able to tell what speed the link is by the NIC LED color.

Your numbers seem odd anyway, I am not aware of ISPs providing more than 40Mbps downlink. Speedtest.net top ranked provider in the USA only rated for 46Mbps download.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      The connection speed depends not only on the motherboared but also the modem/router/switch it is connected to.
      Unless you have an extreme modem/router you will be connected at a 100Mbps.
      Yous should be able to tell what speed the link is by the NIC LED color.

Your numbers seem odd anyway, I am not aware of ISPs providing more than 40Mbps downlink. Speedtest.net top ranked provider in the USA only rated for 46Mbps download.
      I am on a university connection. I'm pretty sure it's much faster than the private ISP providers.

Comment

Originally posted by losse View Post
        I am on a university connection. I'm pretty sure it's much faster than the private ISP providers.
        Oh for sure it may be.
        What is your NIC LED color? (look in the manual for color speed indication.)

Comment

My connection provider does a 50Mb service. Some have gotten around 56Mb+ from it. There are high speed connections out there. Only difference between the UK and US is that the Uk is the home of "One way internet" ie the connections ae very asymetric. You get a 50Mb download and 1.5Mb upload. On a 10Mb connection you're limited to 512Kbit upload speeds.

Your connection speed may be a driver issue. Depending on what OS you are running the |Realtek ethernet may not support 1000Mb.

Check the NIC settings in device manager. Right click the adapter and choose properties. Make sure that Auto Disable Gigabit is disabled, Flow Control is on and that all checksum and send offloads are enabled. You may also have to enable Jumbo Frame. Also make sure your MTU and RWIN settings are optimised in the registry. See here for what that means: How do I optimize my MTU and RWIN settings? DSL FAQ - dslreports.com .
          Last edited by Psycho101; 07-13-2009, 01:40 PM.
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
            My connection provider does a 50Mb service. Some have gotten around 56Mb+ from it. There are high speed connections out there. Only difference between the UK and US is that the Uk is the home of "One way internet" ie the connections ae very asymetric. You get a 50Mb download and 1.5Mb upload. On a 10Mb connection you're limited to 512Kbit upload speeds.

Your connection speed may be a driver issue. Depending on what OS you are running the |Realtek ethernet may not support 1000Mb.

Check the NIC settings in device manager. Right click the adapter and choose properties. Make sure that Auto Disable Gigabit is disabled, Flow Control is on and that all checksum and send offloads are enabled. You may also have to enable Jumbo Frame. Also make sure your MTU and RWIN settings are optimised in the registry. See here for what that means: How do I optimize my MTU and RWIN settings? DSL FAQ - dslreports.com .
            I do not have the motherboard's manual on hand. I'm not sure what the NIC led color is, but if it is the LED where the ethernet cable plugs in, it is flashing orange.

My NIC settings in the device manager were as you suggested. I will look into chanting the MTU and RWIN settings.

The two people whose speeds I compared mine to are both using different operating systems than I am. I'm using XP, one of them is using Vista, and the other is using the new beta Windows OS. Could this affect the speeds?

Comment

I'm not sure what the NIC led color is, but if it is the LED where the ethernet cable plugs in, it is flashing orange.
              There's one that flashes and one that is constanly on, according to my manual orange is Gb connection, I guess they are all the same so that should be fine.

My NIC settings in the device manager were as you suggested. I will look into chanting the MTU and RWIN settings.
              I would realy be amazed to hear this will change things for the better. Never in my life I saw a 1bps benefot from all those tweakers and I tried them in the days they were supposed to be important.

Comment

I have been getting 85MB/s download and 10.5MB/s upload, while he is getting 260MB/s download and 10.5MB/s upload on speedtest.net
                I would like to see screenshots of this lol (not calling you a liar).

my internet is crap, only 6mbps download... and I pay $25 a month

Comment

He's in a uni, they're connected to the backbone veins.

Comment

Originally posted by creamsoda View Post
                    I would like to see screenshots of this lol (not calling you a liar).

my internet is crap, only 6mbps download... and I pay $25 a month

Comment

Working...
                    X