MB Drivers/Utilities DVD won't play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MB Drivers/Utilities DVD won't play

I just received a replacement of Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P motherboard after RMAing the first one. I want to reinstall the drivers/utilities from the disk - not from the website - but it seems the new DVD won't play. Although Windows Explorer (XP/SP3) sees it, it doesn't play automatically, and when I try to open it manually Win Explorer goes "Not Responding," then the computer crashes and has to be shut down manually. I thought maybe instead it needed to be run at start up, but that just got me a prompt for XpressRecovery2 and then seemingly nothing (stall). Since CDs and DVDs for other programs and videos play just fine, am I safe in assuming this is a bad DVD?
    Last edited by genegold; 07-14-2009, 06:16 PM.
    ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Intel i7-4790K
    32 GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 RAM (Ares 4x8gb)
    EVGA GTX950 SC
    Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. C cooler w/ Nexus Silent Fan
    Seasonic X650 PSU
    Samsung Pro 850 256GB SSD (system drive)
    SanDisk ExtremePro 480, Seagate 1TB, 2TB and 2x 3TB SATA 6Gb/s
    Plextor PX-891SA CD/DVD Writer/Player
    Dell U2412M Monitor (1920x1200)
    IBM Model M keyboard / Bornd M120 wireless mouse
    Thermaltake F31 Case
    Canon MP640 / Brother HL-2270DW printers
    Audio system: Dac + Powered speakers + USB card + LPS + power cond./distrib.
    Windows 10 Pro x64

Re: MB Drivers/Utilities DVD won't play

Hi, is this a new os install? Might try going to devive manage and un installing the dvd player and rebooting if you haven'r already.

Comment

Originally posted by Conners View Post
      Hi, is this a new os install? Might try going to devive manage and un installing the dvd player and rebooting if you haven'r already.
      No. When I first got this Gigabyte mb, I also had a new HDD and so did a new install of WinXP at the same time. Then I RMA'd the mb, used a K8 board in the interim w/o uninstalling the Gigabyte/AMD drivers, and then put in the replacement Gigabyte board yesterday. I'd like to reinstall the mb drivers, but haven't figured out how to get the Gigabyte DVD to work this time. The DVD R/W seems to working fine and thus there's no reason to uninstall/reinstall it I can see.
      EVGA GTX950 SC
      Seasonic X650 PSU
      Thermaltake F31 Case
      Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

Oh ok, but you never know uninstalling the dvd and letting windows re-dectect it might work. Just something easy to cross off your list... Otherwise i'd just go to gigabytes site and get the driver you seek and installing them that way. But that's just me.

Comment

If you're having difficulty with the auto open disc menu, can you open the DVD in explorer (file and folder view)? I seldome use those auto start menus, and prefer browsing the disc to find the correct software.
          Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
          Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
          Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
          TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
          2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
          2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
          Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
          Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
          WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
          Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
          Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
          3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
          Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
            If you're having difficulty with the auto open disc menu, can you open the DVD in explorer (file and folder view)? I seldome use those auto start menus, and prefer browsing the disc to find the correct software.
            No. As I indicated in the original post, trying to do so crashes the computer: Win Explorer goes "Not Responding." Then when I try closing it in Task Mgr, all the desktop icons disappear and the computer effectively freezes. The result is that I have to shut down by the computer switch. Uninstalling/reinstalling the drive was a waste of time. I installed two other programs tonight from that drive w/o any problems. If my memory is correct, the files online are different than the ones on the DVD.
            EVGA GTX950 SC
            Seasonic X650 PSU
            Thermaltake F31 Case
            Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

Will another machine read the disk? Can you use another machine to create a copy from the original that may be more easily read by your system? You should be alright with the online files from the manufacturers website as they are probably newer (more up to date) than the ones on the disk anyway.
              Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by PrairieDawg View Post
                Will another machine read the disk? Can you use another machine to create a copy from the original that may be more easily read by your system? You should be alright with the online files from the manufacturers website as they are probably newer (more up to date) than the ones on the disk anyway.
                Don't know about another machine. "Probably" doesn't count, plus last time I used the online drivers and then ended up having to revert to the ones on the DVD. The point is to have a working disk.
                EVGA GTX950 SC
                Seasonic X650 PSU
                Thermaltake F31 Case
                Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

The software on the website is guaranteed, 100% definately more up to date. The first thing I did was download current versions, then file the CD under B for bin. Burned the most recent stuff to a RW and stored it in the original box.
                  P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                  2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                  3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

The software on the website is guaranteed, 100% definately more up to date. The first thing I did was download current versions, then file the CD under B for bin. Burned the most recent stuff to a RW and stored it in the original box.
                    An install of the x86 file - ATI display drivers - prompted at one point that it wasn't the latest and greatest.
                    EVGA GTX950 SC
                    Seasonic X650 PSU
                    Thermaltake F31 Case
                    Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

Can't comment on ATI drivers. I was refering to motherboard utilities.

All driver files, such as chipset and audio, LAN etc are available from their respective brands (eg the Realtek site) as well as Gigabytes main page for your motherboard.

If there's a graphics driver in the package then of course it's probably not the latest version. No motherboard manufacturer I know releases updated drivers in parallel with latest Cayalyst and Forceware releases.

Downloading the relevant drivers from point of origin is always a good idea. Never use a motherboard CD or a mobo maufacturers site for that.

I'm also willing to bet that if the CD contains x86 Catalysts, that they're older than the ones on the site too.
                      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Can't comment on ATI drivers. I was refering to motherboard utilities.

All driver files, such as chipset and audio, LAN etc are available from their respective brands (eg the Realtek site) as well as Gigabytes main page for your motherboard.

If there's a graphics driver in the package then of course it's probably not the latest version. No motherboard manufacturer I know releases updated drivers in parallel with latest Cayalyst and Forceware releases.

Downloading the relevant drivers from point of origin is always a good idea. Never use a motherboard CD or a mobo maufacturers site for that.

I'm also willing to bet that if the CD contains x86 Catalysts, that they're older than the ones on the site too.
                        That latter may be, but there's no way to find out if the CD stalls every time. The online drivers are dated May 6, while the RMA'd version of this mb was sent by NewEgg on May 28 and they turn them over quickly. The replacement was sent last week. I agree about video drivers.

I do have have a question about one of the two audio drivers listed online for this board (Win 32). The one dated July 9 says it's for the Realtek Azalia audio chip, but there's no mention of an Azalia chip in the product description or manual that I can find.
                        EVGA GTX950 SC
                        Seasonic X650 PSU
                        Thermaltake F31 Case
                        Windows 10 Pro x64

Comment

There is only one audio driver for the entire series of Realtek codecs, located here Realtek . It may be quicker to go to Guru3D and search for "Realtek HD Audio 2.28".Azalia is the generic name for all their current HD audio IC's be it 885A, 888A, 889A etc.

They're not going to keep updating the CD in the box. In all likelyhood, the CD in the first boards produced are the same as the ones in current models. It's simply not worth them spending money on constantly updating driver CD's. That's why the drivers are online.

The version numbers of some software is on the front of the CD. Compare it to the ones on the web page, I'm sure you'll find the utilities more current.

As far as Gigabyte are concerned, and this is logical, they have supplied the essentials to get the board working. Things like sound and NIC drivers don't really require religiously being updated. Realtek do release a lot of updates, but usually for gaming purposes. The odd bug fix, sure but not much else.
                          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

One thing you might look at gene is the event viewer and see whats going on when you use the dvd.

Comment

Working...
                            X