Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues and problems EP45-UD3R

What I had:
    GA-EX38-DS4 (I was being stupid and broke a Capacitor off the motherboard, only reason I need a replacement)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core
    EVGA GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
    CORSAIR 4 x 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5 - Retail

I'm not an overclocker, though I might try something mild at the end of this process.

I tried GA-EP45-UD3R, but it looks like I've got the reboot bug an I'm on my second board with it. The first one I had narrowed down to the second memory slot but have not gotten that far yet onm the second board.

I like Gigabyte boards and really don't want to just get a third to try so I am looking at other options:

GA-EP45-UD3P (seems like the same as the UD3R and has the issue reported, so I really don't feel that lucky)
    GA-EP45-DS4P (at least I can see that this is a different board, layout, only 6 SATA, 3 PCI)
    GA-X48-DS5 (older board and chip set)

The thing I have noticed (though it could be in my mind) is my system does seem faster with the EP45 board. I am using RAID, both for OS/programs (2 Raptors RAID 0) and data (4 320 Seagates RAID 5 - This is a change from the EX38 Board I had 2 of these drives in RAID 0). I don't know if the difference I think I see is real, due to the P45 chipset, or something else. I'm tempted by the X48 board the only comparison I can find between the South Bridge ICH9R and ICH10R seems to suggest that although the 9R has slightly higher sustained transfer rates, the 10R has much better I/O preformance, which may be what I am seeing.

So I'm looking for recommendations on the above mentioned boards, great boards that I may have missed, things that I have not found through google yet for the reboot issue.

Re: Issues and problems EP45-UD3R

Oh and should this be in this area or the "What Should I Buy?" area

Comment

I'm partial to the UD3P and Corsair Dominator PC2-8500 memory. I've never had the boot issue you speak of.
      Last edited by Conners; 07-22-2009, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I really don't want to head down the parts replacement road (other than the MB I have to). If start down that road I might as well look at DDR3 and then.......

Comment

Also, if some one can give me some insight into whether I am truely seeing a performance increase with the P45 chipset over the X38 or not. And how it would compare with any increase or decrease with the X48 chipset.

Not a gamer, I'm a photographer, so Photoshop and Lightroom are my friends.

Comment

Performance comparison of chipsets with the same CPU will always be in the same ball park. Differences at stock between P35, X38, P45 and X48 would be within around 5% of eachother, maybe less.

The major difference between your old X38 and a P45 would be that the dual PCIE 16x slot version (UD3P) of the P45 only supports 8x lanes when you use two graphics cards (still 16x if you use 1 slot) As you don't game, this is of no importance to you.

To have two boards with the same issue is unlikely, and is probably a compatibility issue rather than a fault, even if as you say your first board had a faulty RAM slot.

The issue may be solved by trying to boot with a single stick after clearing the CMOS. You can then go into the BIOS and manually set up your RAM. Set the primary 5-5-5-18, and also set the Static tRead value for both channels to a nice and loose tRead = 9 for now. Also increase MCH Core to 1.200V and set VDIMM to the correct value if it's not already. If on Auto, set it manually to be sure. Also set the 2.40B System Memory Multiplier manually to make sure the RAM is at DDR-800.
            Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
            Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
            P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
            Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
            TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
            2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
            2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
            Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
            Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
            WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
            Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
            Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
            3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
            Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

All I can add is that im using ICH10 not 10R you have the same manual and you can see the minor differences.
              The P and T are as above extra gx card slots or the ability to use ddr3 memory..oh and the snazzy gigabyte blue heatsink hats + the more expensive boards get bios updates faster.
              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
              http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Originally posted by Psycho101 View Post
                Performance comparison of chipsets with the same CPU will always be in the same ball park. Differences at stock between P35, X38, P45 and X48 would be within around 5% of eachother, maybe less.
                Thanks for the info on the Chips, the I/O info I noted was from Tom's:

Intel P45: The New Chipset Lacks Progress : Eaglelake Has Landed - Review Tom's Hardware

To have two boards with the same issue is unlikely, and is probably a compatibility issue rather than a fault, even if as you say your first board had a faulty RAM slot.
                I would have thought the same thing. As I said I'm not a tweaker but I have been at this a while, the first card I added to a PC was a hardcard to an original IBM PC.

The first board I was on the phone with tech support and we pulled memory out one at a time. Found one slot that when empty the system booted every time. We then rotated the modules through the rest of the slots and the system always booted fine until we tried that slot. So I'm relativity sure (and the tech agreed) that the slote was bad.

But I have not had a chance to do the same with this second board. If all the parts (which the exception of two more HD's and an upgraded power supply came from a year old system that was running smoothly on an EX38 board could it really be a compatibility issue? And if so what part should I look at?

The issue may be solved by trying to boot with a single stick after clearing the CMOS. You can then go into the BIOS and manually set up your RAM. Set the primary 5-5-5-18, and also set the Static tRead value for both channels to a nice and loose tRead = 9 for now. Also increase MCH Core to 1.200V and set VDIMM to the correct value if it's not already. If on Auto, set it manually to be sure. Also set the 2.40B System Memory Multiplier manually to make sure the RAM is at DDR-800.
                I'll try these, I've tried a few things that tech support has suggested (mainly disabling wake on and sleep settings).

I'll let you know if these work.

Comment

Cool. If you can find the slot again where it boots then follow those steps when you get into the BIOS.

Keep us informed as to how you get on.

***Edit!***

The most likely suspects are the RAM and the PSU. It's possible that a PSU may misbehave and cause this error, though it usually just causes a complete failure to POST.

If setting manual timings etc in BIOS doesn't work you may want to remove the board from the case and set it up on top of the anti static bag and box it came in. It may be something shorting out on the metal of your case. Be careful of static when handling the components, and ground yourself on something like a radiator at regular intervals. It may also be worth re-seating the CPU while you have the board out of the case. Remove it and look carefully (you may need a magnifying glass) for bent pins. This can cause all kinds of issues.
                  Last edited by Psycho101; 07-22-2009, 05:48 PM.
                  P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                  2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                  3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Comment

Cool. If you can find the slot again where it boots then follow those steps when you get into the BIOS.

Keep us informed as to how you get on.

***Edit!***

The most likely suspects are the RAM and the PSU. It's possible that a PSU may misbehave and cause this error, though it usually just causes a complete failure to POST.

If setting manual timings etc in BIOS doesn't work you may want to remove the board from the case and set it up on top of the anti static bag and box it came in. It may be something shorting out on the metal of your case. Be careful of static when handling the components, and ground yourself on something like a radiator at regular intervals. It may also be worth re-seating the CPU while you have the board out of the case. Remove it and look carefully (you may need a magnifying glass) for bent pins. This can cause all kinds of issues.
                    Figured the new PS would be the least of my issues, but If I have time I will try putting back in my old PS if it has the correct connectors. Though the old one was a 500 and the new one is 850.

Comment

With your config 500W should be plenty. It's worth trying even if it's just to eliminate a variable.
                      P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

I know the calc tools on most sites are there just to get you to buy a bigger PS, but 500w for a quad core with 8gb of ram and 6 hard drives?

Comment

I'm not saying swap the 500W and use it because your other is to big. However 99% of people grossly over estimate how much power their PC uses. In 2d full load I'd be surprised if your PC would be using more than 250-300W with all hard drives transferring data. In game, you mightreach 400-420W.

The rig in my sig, with an overclock can be powered by a 400W OCZ. The same system with a Q8200 quad core is also fine on the 400W. It's probably on the edge when the GFX card is fully loaded, but it can handle full 2D load all day.

Graphics cards are the biggest consideration when choosing PSU capacity. My mid sized capacity HX750 could happily run two GTX 285's along with everything else and still have a little in reserve. It may just stretch to Quad Crossfire 4870's, but likely the fan would be pretty loud at that kind of load.
                          P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Comment

Well if it is the PS I guess I'm not going to be happy that I already sent in the rebate for the PS, maybe I could have saved myself $100. Newegg suggested 820w, I was going to go with the 650 or 750, but I figured the 850 was only $10 more. Oh well maybe I should have just kept the 500 I had and only replaced it if the system started to hiccup.

Comment

Ok these changes have been made, first boot was good, I'll how it goes over the next day or two.

Question: I guess I can see setting 5 5 5 18 manually, though that is what auto said it was doing. But are the other setting doing? And I did not see VDIMM? Though the memory says 800 800 on auto (if I'm actually looking in the correct place that is).

Comment

Working...
                              X