GA-MA78G-DS3H compatible processor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-MA78G-DS3H compatible processor?

I was looking for a Gigabyte forum and came apon this one, because I have a question about a Gigabyte motherboard. My friend has a GA-MA78G-DS3H mobo with latest BIOS that adds support for socket AM3, and wants to know and buy an AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition processor. So I'm wondering, is this processor compatible with this mobo? I've looked around on the web and can't find any information as to whether this combo will work or not.

Re: GA-MA78G-DS3H compatible processor?

Anyone? He's dying to order it if it works.

Comment

Well the board support the X4 Phenom II CPUs, so there should be nor problem with X2s, since they're effectively just a stripped down version of the X4.
      Gigabyte lists two X4s in their CPU compatibility list and says the board is AM3 ready, meaning it will work. They wouldn't call it AM3 ready if jsut the two CPUs in the list were working (lists are nevere complete usually).
      GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - CPU Support List - GA-MA78G-DS3H (rev. 2.x)

Be sure to update the BIOS though with an older CPU before installing the Phenom II, the board may not POST with an older BIOS and the new CPU.

Comment

Just wanted to say thanks for the reply. I took your advice, went ahead and ordered it, threw it into his mobo and topped it off with a Zalman 9500, and easily OC'd to 3.7ghz for now. It screams compared to his old Phenom processor, increasing frame rates in games like WoW by almost 40fps! Definitely and upgrade for him, and again thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X