GA-EX58-UD5 memory question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD5 memory question

i recently purchase a EX58-UD5 motherboard along with all the other components that go into a PC including 8 GB of DDR3 1600 1.9v per stick memory. I believe this is where my problem lies but i would like to make sure before i do anything about it.

When i plug everything into everything else and turn the power on i get 4 lights to light up. the power and clr cmos light and the DDR phase LED lights. one green and one amber. my main question is what does this mean? did i get the wrong type of memory? is it looking for to much power?

To clear a few more things up. i know that the motherboards memory sockets are rated at 1.5v per socket. i was told that my cards would work anyways. i have 4 memory sticks (2 GBs each) and have tried configuring them every way that I can. my PSU is new and rated at 910 W so i should be getting plenty of power to my system.

I have also looked into this issue and it seems like multiple people have it. I cannot flash my BIOS. I have tried this, i dont ever even get to the screen.

Thank you in advance for the help

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 memory question

I plan on replacing my memory with

Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel 6GB PC10666 DDR3 Memory - 1333MHz, 6144MB (3 x 2048) at TigerDirect.com x2

I understand the slight lose of speed but it is rated at 1.5 V. any suggestions on this?

Comment

While you should use 1.65 memory, you do not have to but this could be part of the issue if that ram will not boot at 1.5V. Do you have any other, or can you borrow, a single stick of lower volted DDR3 to test with?

For now, please test with three sticks in the white slots. You may also test with one stick on the first white slot by the CPU.

It very well could be this ram wont boot at 1.5V, which is what the BIOS sets things to until you can get in there and change it. 1.98V ram will also mean you will have to set QPI/Vtt to 1.4 which the default is 1.15 so that could also be part of the problems.

Did you look before you installed the CPU to be SURE there was NO bent pins in the socket? Just checking

That ram really is not optimal for X58 boards, but you can use it though. But I do believe this could be part of your initial issues

Comment

Sorry, replied at the same time I guess.

Ya that ram would be fine, but you can find faster ram for that same price range if you wanted. Would you like some suggestions in that price range? They will be from newegg though, unless you specifically would like TD Instead? I just say that because they offer a better selection normally at lower prices.

Another place you may want to look at is ZipZoomFly they have 20% cashback right now if you use CashBack

Comment

Wont running ram over 1.65 damage the processor memory controller?
          Gaming: GIGABYTE X58-UD5 - i7 920 C0 - Noctua NH-U12P - 6GB OCZ Platinum PC3-10666 CL7 - Sapphire HD5870 - Antec P182 - TruePower Trio 650w - 3 Acer X243HB in Eyefinity - 2 x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - MS Digital Media KB - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Server: - HP Proliant MicroServer N36L - 4GB Team 1333 CL9 - 1x 160 2.5 5400RPM - 2x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - 1x 250GB ST3500320AS 7200.12 - 1x 1.5TB ST3500320AS 7200.12

HTPC1
          : GIGABYTE EP45-UD3L - E7600 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 8500GT - Antec Fusion - Microsoft Comfort Wireless / Logitech MX1000 bt - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC2
          : GIGABYTE 945GCMX-S2 - E6320 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 7600GT - Antec Fusion - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC3:
          GIGABYTE P35-DS4 - E6750 - 4GB OCZ System Elite 800 - GIGABYTE 8800GTX - TT Shark - Earthwatts 500w - DeNovo Mini - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Comment

No, the ram should be 1.65.

The thing about that is you only need to keep the ram voltage within .5 of the QPI/Vtt is all.

You can use any voltage, you just have to keep things in balance is all. Any 1.65V ram was made for X58 and will start just fine.

Comment

Lsdmeasap thanks for the reply. I have checked all my sticks and all different sockets. i think the problem is like you say. the RAM just wont work at 1.5 volts. any suggestions you have on RAM would be great. doesnt matter what site it is from. the only reason i linked TD is because it was cheaper there.

Comment

ok well unless anyone can enlighten me to severe problems with the CORSAIR memory im gonna go with that (cheapest price) thanks for the help everybody

Comment

I have not seen any issues with those. Good luck, hope this is the issue and not something wrong with your board.

You may be able to find better/cheaper ram on ebay as well, that's where I shop often! I know you can get Patriot 6GB 888-24 on there for cheaper then newegg, been looking at a set myself for testing purposes.

Keep us posted when you get your new ram, if you need help getting it setup once you get it started we can help!

Comment

well bad news everybody. purchased the RAM from a compUSA near me and it still does not work. shows the same lights as before. again. tried all the possible combinations, all in white, and then 1 in the first white. any other ideas?

Comment

Have you tried clearing the CMOS Yet? If not please do, using the long method outlined in my post here >>

You may also try by pushing the Clear CMOS Button on your board for one minute, with the PSU Unplugged or Shut off.

If you still do not have any luck you should remove the CPU and check to be sure there are NO Bent pins in the CPU Socket.

Comment

well sadly non of that worked. cleared the CMOS using the guide and using the button. took out the CPU none of the pins look bent at all. any other ideas?

Comment

Do you have another PSU you can test with? That would be next to test

Comment

alright ill give that a try. just to note something that i have noticed. the same lights (DDR phase LED) come one no matter what happens. even if all the RAM is out of the mother board

Comment

Working...
                            X