EP45-UD3LR BIOS help overclock error message

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EP45-UD3LR BIOS help overclock error message

I think of VID as being the maximum voltage the cpu should need to operate at standard speeds.
    In my case thats shown as 1.225V, for your apparently slightly different cpu revision its shown as 1.25V.
    Is 1.25V shown in the bios health section at standard settings when you boot up?
    Anyway what it seems to indicate is that for any given cpu speed you may need a little over 2% more voltage than I do.
    I'll have to look and get back to you, and will edit my post.
    I looked in BIOS health section and it says 1.268v and in MIT the values are set to 1.28125(now changed down to 1.268 to try) and in CPUz in my post the listed Vcore or VID is 1.25v Using the hard fast rule to allow OC speeds the Vcore would be 1.25 + .05 = 1.3v right? But that would be for OCing up to 3GHz or 3.5GHz correct? I think the best course of action is to start with a low CPU Vcore say 1.25v and begin to OC then when problems start to occur then we need to think about upping the Vcore to +.05V for stability. Of course I am not a Genius OK. :)
    11-22-09 Update I changed the RAM settings to 5-7-7-24 as listed in the BIOS settings to the left to try as well. :)
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 11-22-2009, 12:57 PM. Reason: add info
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

You can post 10 images per post, you just only can attach one. Upload them to imageshack or photobucket, ect. I use tinypic myself.

Then put the direct URL into a image tag like shown below >>
      [img]Direct URL of Image Goes Here[/img]

Comment

The thing is you "should" be able to run 3Ghz cpu speed without any real problems on your board if the memory is halfway decent and it seems to be ok.
        For a day or so after i got my Q8200,while I was waiting for mbrd delievery I was limited to 2.8ghz max cpu speed on an older(GA 73 PVM-S2) mbrd.
        There are a couple of reasons for that,chief among them is that there is no memory voltage adjustment on that mbrd series.(it gives memory V of 1.8 v,thats all u get)
        That would be even with the intel standard cooler.

There are a few ways to test,but:
        To get yourself off that 2.4Ghz cpu speed .
        Force the memory to run on a 2:00 multiplier..
        That is, if you set a cpu host frequency of 370 mhz:
        1.your memory should be running at 740mhz ddr2 speed(undercloked yes but it should give you a feel for the mbrd)
        2.Your cpu should be running at 2.6ghz(when loaded)

With most settings on auto the only ones that should need changing would be cpu core and perhaps mch voltage.

With your optimised settings loaded ,you would force the memory to run at only the cpu host frequency x2.. which would be a 667mhz memory speed at start.

Keep the memory at only cpu host frequency x2 as you go up in speed.
        You should only have to vary 2 items, the cpu core voltage and mch voltage initially.

Perhaps as you get closer to 400mhz cpu host frequency you may have to increase memory voltage also.

dont go over 1.35v in bios for cpu core,dont go over 2.2v in bios for memory ,dont go over 1.35v in bios for mch core while going up to 390-400mhz cpu host frequency with everything else on auto and you shouldnt have any problems.

You really shouldnt need those voltages and should end up with around 3.0ghz cpu speed without strain.(in theory)

Once you get there you should have a good feel for what to do next.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Well, lets see if I can get some pix up

BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Comment

You need to set your own memory timings, auto is killing your performance!

Comment

Yes as Lsd is saying you will have to put in your own memory timings.
              in the 5-7-7-24 :The 5 isnt too bad but the other timings are way out there.The jedec 0# timings and voltage should work ok up to 400mhz cpu host frequency BUT why not just put in the EPP1 settings for now just to be sure .
              They are settings for memory running at 1066mhz,if u hold the memory speed down to 400/800mhz that should take the memory out as an overclocking bottleneck for now.Give the memory 2.1v in bios for extra security.
              Get the cpu host frequency up to 400mhz in stages after that .
              You have 380 working now (2.66Ghz cpu),
              Get to 400 or actually go for 399 (2.8Ghz cpu) and if you are unsure what to try next, post all your bios settings at that point+ whatever screenshots you have.
              Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
              Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
              Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
              8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
              60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
              GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
              Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
                Yes as Lsd is saying you will have to put in your own memory timings.
                in the 5-7-7-24 :The 5 isnt too bad but the other timings are way out there.The jedec 0# timings and voltage should work ok up to 400mhz cpu host frequency BUT why not just put in the EPP1 settings for now just to be sure .
                Right I was just testing the 5-7-7-24 settings as they were displayed in the BIOS next to my 5-5-5-18 settings. but I guess they are not as good as 5-5-5-18 like you are saying. I will look at the EPP1 settings and test - investigate soon. I see them now its 5-5-5-15 at 533 speed.
                Ok will try 399-400 tonight after work with EPP1 settings and RAM volt at 2.1 too. then will post screenies as well Thanks
                Max out
                Hope you all have a good Thanksgiving Holiday.

Comment

I do suggest you don't use EPP settings, unless you meant manully entering them and only mentioned EPP because you meant "look at EPP / Set manually"

Good luck and Happy Turkey Day!

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                    I do suggest you don't use EPP settings, unless you meant manully entering them and only mentioned EPP because you meant "look at EPP / Set manually"

Good luck and Happy Turkey Day!
                    Note I do not expect any answers on the holiday break.....

OK starting with manually entered 5-5-5-18 values then will try manual 5-5-5-15 settings. I have reached 400 BS and 1066 memory speed to get a clock speed of 2.8GHz I think. Here are some screenies and will follow with BIOS settings later. also testing for stability would be a must as well with prime 95 or OCCT or any rec tool. Getting awfully hungry for turkey and beer
                    GA-EP45-UD3LR Rev. 1.0 BIOS version F7
                    CPU model Intel Core2Quad Q8200 Yorkfield 2M CPU stepping R0
                    RAM Mushkin 996599 2 X 2G sticks link 996599 - 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 Blackline (Dual Kit)
                    Power supply Antec Earthwatts EA-500D

Required BIOS settings with Imp settings listed in color. Full settings will be given later on.
                    MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                    Robust Graphics Booster -------------- : [Auto] <--- FAST is OK
                    CPU Clock Ratio ---------------------- : [7X]
                    Fine CPU Clock Ratio ----------------- : [0.0] < ignore if not available
                    CPU Frequency ---------------------: 400

Clock Chip Control
                    Standard Clock Control
                    CPU Host Clock Control --------------- : [Enabled]
                    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) --------------: 2.8GHz [Mhz]
                    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) ---------- : [100] <--- Set to 100, never leave this on Auto
                    CIA 2.....................................Disabled

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
                    CPU Clock Drive...........................: 800 PCI Express Clock Drive............: 900
                    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: 0 MCH Clock Skew (ps)...............: 0

DRAM Performance Control
                    performance Enhance .........[STANDARD]
                    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                    (G)MCH Frequency Latch..........: [Auto]
                    System Memory Multiplier .........2.66DMemory Frequency (Mhz) ........1066
                    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]
                    Standard Timing Control tRCD ....................................5...
                    tRP'.......................................5.... tRAS.....................................18
                    Set all Suggested below to highest Values first. Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go
                    Advanced Timing Control
                    tRRD...................................4 tWTR.......................................6
                    tWR....................................8 tRFC.....................................64
                    tRTP....................................5 Command Rate (CMD) ................2
                    Driving Strength Profiles...autoDriving Strength ............................ Channel A
                    Static tRead Value....................auto.:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
                    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
                    tRD Phase1 Adjustment.....:Auto
                    tRD Phase2 adjustment ...............:Auto
                    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                    trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto
                    ps Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                    Channel B Static tRead Value........Auto 6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
                    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for
                    all below as well
                    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                    tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto
                    ps Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                    Motherboard Voltage Control CPU
                    LOAD LINE CALIBRATION ENABLED
                    CPU Vcore….………...1.26875..........:Auto if not overclocking,
                    CPU Termination…..... 1.200V If overclocking Please set to stock,
                    CPU PLL…………1.5500V#....: << If overclocking Please set to stock
                    CPU Referen.………….... auto.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt
                    (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly
                    MCH/ICH MCH Core….....1.16V< MCH Reference…auto...........; Leave
                    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< Leave ICH I/O…...1.55V............: <<<
                    ICH Core…………...……1.100V.........: <<< Leave
                    DRAM DRAM Voltage ……....2.020V............: yes I know this could bet more but I am testing with low values first.
                    DRAM Termination .…N/A..<< Leave
                    Channel A Reference N/A...<< Leave
                    Channel B Reference N/A............: <<< Leave
                    Advanced Settings
                    Limit CPUID Max. to 3...................: Disabled
                    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: Disabled C2/C2E State Support....................: Disabled
                    x C4/C4E State Support..................: Disabled CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                    CPU EIST Function.........................: Disabled Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]
                    Enabled if you use Vmware/Virtual PC
                    Integrated Peripherals Legacy USB Storage Detect .......[Enabled]Just installed a printer so I dont want to disable just yet.
                    Integrated Periferals
                    ICH SATA Control Mode ..........[ACHI]
                    SATA Port 0-3 mode ...........[Enabled]
                    USB Controller....................[Enabled]
                    USB 2.0............................[Enabled]
                    USB Keyboard.....................[Disabled] have and old compaq PS/2 keyboard w/no special drivers.
                    USB mouse ........................I had this disabled until just today when I realized its for my USB mouse [Enabled]
                    Legacy Storage Detect .........[Enabled] My all in one printer may need this-enabled for now-disabled for OC.
                    Azalia Codec (Onboard sound)..[Auto]
                    Onboard H/W LAN...................[Enabled]
                    Green LAN............................[Disabled]
                    Smart LAN.............................[Disabled]
                    Onboard LAN boot ROM...........[Disabled]
                    Onboard IDE Controller............[Enabled]
                    Onboard Serial Port 1 .............[Disabled]
                    Onboard Parralel Port..............[Disabled]
                    Updated with more BIOS settings for the curious onlookers out there. will start prime 95 tests
                    Prime 95 runs but the Northbridge heatsink is hot to touch stopping for now till I can get that small fan attached.

Updates
                    Max out
                    Last edited by MadMax2911; 11-27-2009, 05:23 AM. Reason: edit cpu speed

Comment

So you are reaching some stability now right? If so great, keep at it and let me know if you need further help in tweaking for performance as some of those settings are very loose.

Turkey sleep has worn off now So I can help tonight if you are around and waiting

Comment

Yeh i meant enter the epp settings yourself.The xmp/epp option in the bios doesnt work for everyone.

As of your last post you are on 2.8 Ghz at 400mhz cpu host frequency (1600mhz fsb)
                        From here on in you wil lhave to assume a few things.
                        1.your memory probably wont work well above 1150mhz
                        Consider a maximum of 1100 mhz for now.
                        2.you have to increase the cpu host frequency speed to get your cpu running faster. A 7 multiplier is its maximum.
                        3.from the above you wont be able to use the 2.66 D multiplier much longer
                        2.66x410 would be 1092mhz mem speed ,x415 would be 1106 mhz/
                        Unfortunately at 415 your cpuwill only be running at 2.9Ghz

That means you will be using 3 possible multipliers from then on 2:00B,2:00D or 2:40B.
                        Its not the end of the world tho as increasing the cpu host frequency and hence the cpu speed/fsb speed also increases the memory bandwidth.

You have headroom on cpu V, mch voltage and memory voltage to play with.You know the memory will run 1066mhz at least, on the board.

Go for 415 cpu host frequency using the 2:66D multiplier if you like,maybe you have some phenomenal 1066 mem that will go much further even but it isnt likely.
                        Id go next for 450-460 cpu host frequency,in slow stages using a 2:00B or D multiplier.
                        You can probably get away with varying only the cpu core and mch voltages until then.After that u may/probably will have to vary some reference voltages etc.

Stick with do not exceed voltages in bios of 1.36V for cpu ,1.38V for mch and 2.2ish V for memory.
                        You shouldnt need near those voltages for any of the components while going to 3.1-3.2 G cpu speed or 1800-1850 fsb .
                        The memory itself will already be on Cas 5 timings and DDR2 speed of only 900mhz so shouldnt need excessive V either.
                        If things dont work out post your highest cpu speed stable bios and people may have more suggestions.
                        Last edited by kick; 11-27-2009, 03:13 PM.
                        Current Systems:

Comment

Originally posted by kick View Post
                          Yeh i meant enter the epp settings yourself.The xmp/epp option in the bios doesnt work for everyone.

As of your last post you are on 2.8 Ghz at 400mhz cpu host frequency (1600mhz fsb)
                          From here on in you wil lhave to assume a few things.
                          1.your memory probably wont work well above 1150mhz
                          Consider a maximum of 1100 mhz for now.
                          2.you have to increase the cpu host frequency speed to get your cpu running faster. A 7 multiplier is its maximum.
                          3.from the above you wont be able to use the 2.66 D multiplier much longer
                          2.66x410 would be 1092mhz mem speed ,x415 would be 1106 mhz/
                          Unfortunately at 415 your cpuwill only be running at 2.9Ghz

That means you will be using 3 possible multipliers from then on 2:00B,2:00D or 2:40B.
                          Its not the end of the world tho as increasing the cpu host frequency and hence the cpu speed/fsb speed also increases the memory bandwidth.

You have headroom on cpu V, mch voltage and memory voltage to play with.You know the memory will run 1066mhz at least, on the board.

Go for 415 cpu host frequency using the 2:66D multiplier if you like,maybe you have some phenomenal 1066 mem that will go much further even but it isnt likely.
                          Id go next for 450-460 cpu host frequency,in slow stages using a 2:00B or D multiplier.
                          You can probably get away with varying only the cpu core and mch voltages until then.After that u may/probably will have to vary some reference voltages etc.

Stick with do not exceed voltages in bios of 1.36V for cpu ,1.38V for mch and 2.2ish V for memory.
                          You shouldnt need near those voltages for any of the components while going to 3.1-3.2 G cpu speed or 1800-1850 fsb .
                          The memory itself will already be on Cas 5 timings and DDR2 speed of only 900mhz so shouldnt need excessive V either.
                          If things dont work out post your highest cpu speed stable bios and people may have more suggestions.
                          To Lsdmeasap and Kick,
                          These settings are loose? you must be refering to settings other than memory right as the 5-5-5-15 is rec by memory manufacturer AFAIK. New link for memory 996599 - 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 Blackline (Dual Kit)
                          You may be refering to the other settings that could be lowered under Advanced Timing Control.
                          Kick I was only planning on a moderate OC with this board as its going to be my backup board for storage and other projects. The recent OC activity has got me thinking just how fast this board can go, but the potential for damage is nagging me now. I had planned to OC my other board, GA-EP45-DS3R, but have been guided to the UD3 series for its cooling properties. At this point I am also considering selling some builds and then reinvesting in other better boards. Finances, are also a consideration as well for me being on a low budget. My main reason for learning to OC is to use and OCed board while gaming and not blow it up in the process and to learn more about BIOS settings too. I have a Electronics Technology Degree and desire to do something with my knowledge.
                          I guess the question is which board is a better OC candidate the DS3R or the UD3R?? Sorry if I have mislead you in any way, but I am looking for a moderate OC that is stable for everday usage and allowing for my parts to not burn out too soon, for the Backup PC whatever that turns out to be.
                          Thank you for your information on OCing. You seem like you are really knowledgable in this area.
                          PS adding other stick of RAM for 4Gigs total. Also added the extra fan on the Northbridge for stability testing at current speeds.
                          MadMax out
                          Last edited by MadMax2911; 11-27-2009, 11:52 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Yes, your memory timings shown in Memset above are VERY loose (Bad Performance), and ya I meant the Advanced settings.

The Normal P45's such as DS3R cool just fine, no worries on that! I have a DS4P and it is just fine at super high clocks.

Let us know if you need more help, good luck tweaking and testing until we meet again.

Comment

Just checking to see the view count LOL Wow up to 4,200 thats radical man!!!!!!!!!
                              Last edited by MadMax2911; 02-13-2010, 02:30 PM. Reason: check view count

Comment

To re-flash your saved bios version with its profiles, QFalsh requires that the saved bios file is in a FAT16 or FAT32 partition. If you've saved the file to a FAT16/32 flash drive, I'm pretty sure that QFlash can access the USB drive, even if Legacy Storage Detect is disabled in your bios.
                                It's best to test this out ahead of time, as this setting is required to be enabled if you want to boot from a USB drive.
                                Just checking to see the view count LOL Wow up to 4,200 thats radical man!!!!!!!!!
                                Now if you could charge a 10 cent admission fee, that would be $420
                                Last edited by profJim; 02-13-2010, 02:36 PM.
                                Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                                P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                                4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                                MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                                Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                                WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                                Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                                SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                                Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                                Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                                Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                                MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                                Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                                HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                                CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                                E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                                Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                                Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                                HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Working...
                                X