Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MA790X-UD4P Black Edition CPU problems

Hi

I've bought a MA790X-UD4P with a Phenom II X2 550 BE to give my current M2N-E/X2 6000+ setup to my kids. Booted once in bios, looked at temps and settings for about 10 minutes then rebooted to install Windows but it never reposted.

On reboot, VGA (8800GT) fan would spin at 100%, HDD and power leds were both on and screen would go in stanby mode. Reset and Power buttons would not work either, I had to use the PSU switch to turn it off.

I then tried the X2 6000+ with the same hardware (which has been running fine for a year) and all went perfect. I installed Windows without a glitch. Since Windows was running fine on the MB, I've tried switching back to the 550 BE and tried F5, F6 and F7 BIOS version but none of those would change the symptoms.

I then tried the new 550BE in a M3A76-CM mobo and it boots just fine.

I took the 7750BE that was with the M3A76-CM and put it in the new MA790X and it would not post.

So I have a MA790X-UD4P that won't post with Black Edition CPU's but will post with a standard X2.

Can someone suggest anything else than a BIOS update before I ship this board back ?

Sorry for the lenghty post, I hope that I'm clear.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Re: MA790X-UD4P Black Edition CPU problems

Sorry I am not up to speed when it comes to AMD. Is there a 550 normal, and then 550 BE? Just wondered as I thought maybe CPU/BIOS incompatibility and checked your CPU Support list and only find the 550 (BIOS F4 needed), without BE so I wanted to be sure

What Speed memory are you using? I ask because I know some CPU's wont work with 1066Mhz ram, but again you would know more about that then me so I am sure you looked into that.

Is the PSU you are using maybe in your thoughts as part of the issue? You didn't mention a PSU, and again I am not up to speed on AMD, but maybe the PSU you are using is not good enough for the BE's? Just a thought, likely not part of the issue but thought I would ask

If you are not using the latest BIOS, that could be the issue. I do suggest you update it and try again if you are using an older BIOS. Latest is F7 here >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-MA790X-UD4P (rev. 1.0)

Please do not use @BIOS, use Qflash instead. Here is a guide on using that >>

Comment

First, thanks for your reply.

This mobo is widely known for its compatibility with my cpu

RAM is DDR2-800 and its working fine on this board with another cpu

PSU is OCZ ModXtream 600W.

As I said, every piece of hardware in this setup checks out fine and is working properly with the X2 6000+ cpu, but it just won't post with any Black Edition cpu's.

Pete

Comment

Hmm, well if you know all to be compatible then I would think maybe BIOS? Are you using the latest one?

Comment

Yep, tried all available versions from Gigabyte's website.

Thanks for trying.

Comment

Hmmm, well about the only thing I can suggest then is for you to contact them and see what they have to say. You can send in a report ticket here >>
            GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Let us know if the provide you with any answers, sorry I can't offer any better advice on this!

Can you possibly test a different CPU << (I meant PSU), different brand or larger just to be sure as PSU Incompatibilities can show up in random ways such as this?
            Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 09-16-2009, 06:25 AM. Reason: Change CPU to PSU

Comment

I've already sent a tech support request to Gigabyte before posting here yesterday. I have not received an answer yet.

<quote>Can you possibly test a different CPU, different brand or larger just to be sure as PSU Incompatibilities can show up in random ways such as this?</quote>
              As previously stated, the whole setup works fine with a X2 6000+ but not with a X2 550 BE or a X2 7750 BE.

Those are the 3 cpu's that I have at my disposal

Comment

The mobo is toast, RMA or return it for exchange.
                Had the same thing happen to me in the early days of Phenom on a different brand mobo.
                Mobo works great with an x2 (K8) won't POST with a Phenom (K10).

With K10 CPUs there are separate power planes for the cores and the CPU NB(memory controller), each one can be set independently. At least on higher end mobos like this one.
                With K8s the CPU NB is still there, but runs at the same voltage as the cores and draws power from the same source as the cores do.

There is something wrong with the power circuitry that supplies the CPU NB, that is why the Phenom CPUs won't POST. No power to the CPU NB.

On the x2, because the NB gets its power from the same source as the rest of the CPU it will POST.
                Mushkin Enhanced comes alive...

Need help with your Mushkin Product? Click Here

Comment

Thanks a lot for your time, that's what I was afraid happened. Anyone know how long Gigabyte takes to answer service tickets ?

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by FTPete View Post
                    Thanks a lot for your time, that's what I was afraid happened. Anyone know how long Gigabyte takes to answer service tickets ?

Pete
                    Strange, I have the same board and I put a 7850BE in it and 4Gb of ram and once I set the correct ram volts I had no prblems at all.

It worked with the original bios and every bios up to and including the latest.

I even have my 7850BE overclocked to 3GHz by only upping the multiplier and nothing else.
                    There are loads of people that use the same board with either a 7750BE, 7850BE or the 550/BE without problems.
                    I would have gone for the 550BE if I had not already had the 7850BE knowing that it would work ok.

Comment

I've already sent a tech support request to Gigabyte before posting here yesterday. I have not received an answer yet.

As previously stated, the whole setup works fine with a X2 6000+ but not with a X2 550 BE or a X2 7750 BE.

Those are the 3 cpu's that I have at my disposal
                      Sorry, I meant PSU. Post edited to reflect.

Pete
                      Well normally 12-24 hours they reply, but I have seen up to a few days. Send in a second ticket if your first does not get a reply within a few days.

If you just need to RMA that is a different dept. and would get a hold of you the next day most of the time

Comment

Did you install AMD drivers in Windows? Then change cpu's and try booting to the Windows that was set up to the older CPU?
                        http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
                        http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
                        Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
                        Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
                        Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
                        4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
                        (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
                        (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
                        (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
                        Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                        Mid size ATX case with show through panel
                        2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
                        Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
                        Logitech G500 USB mouse
                        Monitor: CMV937A
                        7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
                        Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

Yes, I have tried booting the 550BE from a working setup with the 6000+ but it just won't post.

I think that MushkinSean is right on the money with his comment about the differences between K8 and K10 power architectures.

I got an answer from Gigabyte, they said that the cpu might be at fault but it works properly in a M3A76-CM.

Pete

Comment

Yeah do an RMA and send them a print up of the pages you posted here. This will help them determine what the issue is. When you get the repaired motherboard back you will want to install a partitioned HDD and perform a formatted clean install of Windows.

Just before sending it back you will want to remove the motherboard from the case and perform a P.O.S.T. bench test to it.
                            Instructions as follows.
                            Please follow the following simple steps.
                            1. Place the motherboard on top of the cardboard box (you can use the motherboard box)
                            2. Install the CPU, CPU fan, Memory, Power supply plugs (plug the 1 X 20 pin and 1 X 4 or 2 X 8 pin from the power supply unit) and a video card.
                            3. Hook the monitor to the video card and be sure the monitor is switched on.
                            4. Turn on the system board by using the case "Power on" switch.
                            If the system fails to POST, check the components' insertion again to ensure they are all connected properly.
                            Then RMA. This may save you some time and S&H charges.
                            Last edited by artdrivers; 09-16-2009, 06:30 PM.
                            http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
                            http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
                            Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
                            Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
                            Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
                            4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
                            (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
                            (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
                            (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
                            Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
                            Mid size ATX case with show through panel
                            2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
                            Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
                            Logitech G500 USB mouse
                            Monitor: CMV937A
                            7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
                            Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Comment

artdrivers

I did all these steps when I first installed the new cpu and it wouldn't post. I took it out of the case and swapped components: RAM, VGA, CPU, PSU.

I just forgot to try another Black Edition cpu so I rma'd the 550BE. When I got the replacement, I had the same symptoms

I'm waiting for the seller to finalize the rma process then I will send back the motherboard.

I also sent Gigabyte the post with the differences between K8 and K10 power architectures when they replied to my ticket.

Pete
                              Last edited by FTPete; 09-17-2009, 06:40 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Working...
                              X