NO boot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NO boot

I'm gonna get shot for this thread, I'm sure - because I've seen many like it, but I'm not finding an answer.

My computer always runs. Built it exactly one year ago (9/11/2008) and its ran fine the entire time. Went to use it last night and the screensaver was locked up. No response to mouse or keyboard - so I powered down and attempted to power back on. It will not post. The fans come on, the drives spin, and it sits there.

The phase LED's are all light. The cpu LED is flashing. The CPU cooling fan seems to be running VERY slow - but I haven't made a habit of cracking the case to check it over the year.

I've cleared the CMOS using the directions from a post here (the button, the jumper, 20 minute wait, etc) and I've tried booting with each of the ram sticks individually. No change.

Would hate to buy a new mobo to find its the cpu or vice versa. Suggestions?

================================================== ====
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS5P
    Intel Core 2 Due Wolfdall E8500 3.16ghz
    4 2gig OCZ Reaper HPC 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Memory
    EVGA GTX 260 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI express 2.0
    Thermaltake W0116RU 750W
    Seagate barracuda 7200.10 250GB 3.0Gb Sata
    Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro 92mm Cpu Cooler

Wrapped in an Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel Case

Re: NO boot

Found two internal speakers and connected each one of them to the mobo. Neither of them really beeped - more like croaked - but I think i can still tell what they're trying to do. (Strange that the speakers were working in the computers I took them out of last time I checked.)

Anyway - when I push the power button I instantly get one beep (as I'm pushing the button) and a follow-up beep. From there, I just get a short beep every 3-5 seconds - the same time that the CPU_LED light flashes.

So, is it a fried board? A fried CPU? A bad power supply? Or a CMOS issue? I've reset the CMOS a number of times, and got nothing. Tried every combination of ram - and unhooked everything and tried to boot just the vid card and CPU.

What kills me is how it just started doing this. I didn't just build the system and I didn't just add anything.

Comment

My first though would be the power supply. Often when a PSU dies it does so without notice. The "croaking" could be a result of a lack of power as well. Do you have a spare to try?
      Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

Sadly, no - not with the right type of board connectors anyway. I thought thermaltake was kind of reknown for their power supplies?

Comment

Originally posted by wxkeep View Post
          Sadly, no - not with the right type of board connectors anyway. I thought thermaltake was kind of reknown for their power supplies?
          if it was working and now it wont boot up somethings faulty or packed up,try and borrow a psu to try it
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thermaltake is a good name but no company is perfect and there will always be the occasional faulty component. My truck is a Chevrolet and my brother has a Ford and a Dodge .... all good names and all have required repairs over the years.

.... anyway there is no guarantee that the PSU is your problem. It is, however, where I would start and is usually one of the easier parts to swap out. Someone else may have better advice for you ....
            Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Comment

Well, i can give it a shot - at least there are places in town to buy PSU's - and most of em aren't too jumpy about returns on a PSU (like they are CPUS) - so its sure a good place to start.

You mentioned that it could get "packed up" what do you mean by that?

Comment

sorry its an english saying we use "packed up" as in broken,just try and go thru each component start with psu i ran my x58 system off my old 300w psu with just a four pin cpu power plug while i waited for my new psu to arrive u just need a cheap one to try it...other than that it could be hard drive?motherboard? ect
                Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Okay - latest update. Went to Best Buy - picked up a new CPU cooler and a new PSU (only 650 watt, but it should at least boot the system).

Started with the new CPU cooler (in case the mobo could detect it wasn't running well and decided to not boot for safety.) No change. Hooked up the brand new PSU into the system and STILL no change. Internal speaker still is croaking - CPU light is still flashing - and I'm still not booting at all.

Step 2?

Comment

Okay - latest update. Went to Best Buy - picked up a new CPU cooler and a new PSU (only 650 watt, but it should at least boot the system).

Started with the new CPU cooler (in case the mobo could detect it wasn't running well and decided to not boot for safety.) No change. Hooked up the brand new PSU into the system and STILL no change. Internal speaker still is croaking - CPU light is still flashing - and I'm still not booting at all.

Step 2?
                    i have no idea,it can only be your cpu or motherboard now but which one i cant say,also you said you fitted new cpu fan? did u check the cpu socket? make sure no thermal paste has got onto any surrounding parts as its conductive
                    Last edited by wazza300; 09-16-2009, 09:15 PM.
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

When I fitted - I didn't actually attach to the CPU - I just hooked it up to power to see if a new one would run any better. If it did - then I was going to install it properly.

Comment

Just me ... a guess by guess system. ...Any way you can try a different video card?

Comment

I could try that - but I did try to boot without any graphics card - just to see if the system would actually try to start - and it doesn't. It doesn't seem to even get that far. It gets some power and then halts...

Comment

Your computer might need a thorough cleaning.
                            Have you unplugged and reconnected every cable and plug-in cards and modules?
                            The suggestions in this post might help solve your problem.
                            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Found two internal speakers and connected each one of them to the mobo. Neither of them really beeped - more like croaked - but I think i can still tell what they're trying to do. (Strange that the speakers were working in the computers I took them out of last time I checked.)

Anyway - when I push the power button I instantly get one beep (as I'm pushing the button) and a follow-up beep. From there, I just get a short beep every 3-5 seconds - the same time that the CPU_LED light flashes.

So, is it a fried board? A fried CPU? A bad power supply? Or a CMOS issue? I've reset the CMOS a number of times, and got nothing. Tried every combination of ram - and unhooked everything and tried to boot just the vid card and CPU.

What kills me is how it just started doing this. I didn't just build the system and I didn't just add anything.
                              Can you please record and upload then post me a link to your error beeps?

Can you borrow a stick of ram for testing? Or do you have a spare old stick laying around? Any cheap 1.8V DDR2 would be fine, just want to test if it is your ram or not.

Do you have a old PCI GFX Card, or a older/smaller PCIE one to test with as well? If not see if you can find one to use for testing

Comment

Working...
                              X