CPU heatsink/fan recomendations X48 DQ6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CPU heatsink/fan recomendations X48 DQ6

I'm trying to find a good heatsink/fan for my E8400 that will fit on this mb. I have the stock cooler on there now and it sucks pretty bad. I like the zalman 9700 style plus it screws to the mb, but it looks very big and i dont know if it would fit properly. I have a thermaltake tsunami case so i think that wont be a problem. Any help is appreciated.

Re: CPU heatsink/fan recomendations X48 DQ6

The Zalman 9xxx range is ancient now, about 4+ years old. HSF's have moved on. If a person already has one and wants to over clock with it, that's fine, but I'd not recommend anyone buy one now.

The top 3 HSF's IMO are:

Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
    Prolimatech Megahalems
    Noctua 120mm fan range, either the top down or the tower, depending on case size. Noctua.at - sound-optimised premium components "Designed in Austria"!

Many are under the false impression that the 9700 is a good cooler because it's made of copper, but HSF design and engineering is more important than whether the fins are copper or aluminium. On all of those coolers listed, the base plates and heat pipes are copper and the fins are aluminium. Expect load temperatures of 10c less or more with one of those coolers compared to a Zalman 9700.

Edit** All the coolers I listed will fit on your board perfectly. They also all come with propper retaining kits, meaning they're screwed/bolted down with a backplate and mounting bracket combo, rather than push-pins.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Ah cool, the main thing i wanted was to get rid of the push pin type heatsink and to make sure that those would clear the heat pipes/NB on the mb. Ill have a look at those you suggested, thanks.

Comment

Those Psycho101 mentioned and a few others, one is CNPS990.
        Prolimatech Megahalems and 12 Other Coolers for Intel Core i7 Overclocking - X-bit labs

Comment

So after looking at all these coolers i went to the local Microcenter, and im glad i did. Man...those coolers look like mini monsters, the prolimatech megahelms would have never fit in my case without removing the side fan, and it probably still wouldn't have. Then the noctua...it was extremely large, it wouldnt have fit either. So i went with the Zalman 9700 and im glad i did...it barely fit in my case with the side fan. But it does what its supposed to do. All my temps went down, video card dropped -8c and now my cpu idles at 34C and under load running prime 95 for 6 hours it only hit 50c with fan on the lowest setting. With stock cooler while playing games cpu would rise to 75-80c in a few seconds so im happy, thanks all.

Comment

Working...
          X