EP45-UD3L 4-Pin CPU Fan Headers not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EP45-UD3L 4-Pin CPU Fan Headers not working

[EDIT] I just clued in that the 4pin headers can also control 3pin fans via Voltage control, and plugged in a regular 3pin case fan, and to my enjoyment, it actually worked. So I tore off my stock CPU cooler fan which apparently is the faulty part and replaced it with the case fan. And as a bonus, this new fan only spins at 2300 RPM as apposed to the god awfully loud 4,300 RPM fan that came stock, so even at 100% load, im not going deaf.

I just recently got a GA-EP45-UD3L and replaced my old motherboard with it.
    Everything is working fine except for the 4pin header you're supposed to plug your CPU fan into, when I plug my fan in, and turn the computer on, the fan does not start up with it.
    I can plug the fan into a 3 pin fan header on the motherboard, it turns on, but running at full speed.

Are there any settings in the BIOS that need to be set to activate them, or is it probably a bad board? I'm buying a new CPU cooler soon so I'll know if it's a 4th pin problem on my current fan.

Also, is it possible to control the speed settings of the 3pin system fan headers on the motherboard? I'm not familiar with the BIOS, it's the F7 one as well.

[EDIT] I just clued in that the 4pin headers can also control 3pin fans via Voltage control, and plugged in a regular 3pin case fan, and to my enjoyment, it actually worked. So I tore off my stock CPU cooler fan which apparently is the faulty part and replaced it with the case fan. And as a bonus, this new fan only spins at 2300 RPM as apposed to the god awfully loud 4,300 RPM fan that came stock, so even at 100% load, im not going deaf.
    Last edited by CheckExplicit; 11-19-2009, 02:05 AM.

Re: EP45-UD3L 4-Pin CPU Fan Headers not working

It could be your fan itself or the BIOS. Can you test your fan on another board to be sure?

In the BIOS you have a few settings for CPU fan control, what do you have those set to? It is in the PC Health section of the BIOS.

CPU Smart FAN Control

Enables or disables the CPU fan speed control function. Auto lets the BIOS decide whether to enable this function. Enabled allows the CPU fan to run at different speed according to the CPU temperature.

You can adjust the fan speed with EasyTune based on system requirements. If disabled, CPU fan runs at full speed.
    (Default: Auto)

CPU Smart FAN Mode

Specifies how to control CPU fan speed. This item is configurable only if CPU Smart FAN
    Control is set to Diabled or Auto.

Auto Lets BIOS autodetect the type of CPU fan installed and sets the optimal CPU fan control mode. (Default)

Voltage Sets Voltage mode for a 3-pin CPU fan.

PWM Sets PWM mode for a 4-pin CPU fan.

Note: The Voltage mode can be set for a 3-pin CPU fan or a 4-pin CPU fan. However, for a 4-pin
    CPU fan that is not designed following Intel PWM fan specifications, selecting PWM mode may not
    effectively reduce the fan speed.

Comment

You are talking about the SmartGardian feature right? Have you ever heard of anything that would make it run haywire, kicking in early? like reading temps wrong or bad thermistors or calibrations?
      Gigabyte EP45-DS3R | E8500 3.16Ghz | 4GB Corsair XMS 1066 | Sapphire HD4850 675/993 | 2x Hitachi 250GB RAID 0 | Bios F11e | Cooler Master CM690

Comment

Originally posted by jrazor247 View Post
        You are talking about the SmartGardian feature right? Have you ever heard of anything that would make it run haywire, kicking in early? like reading temps wrong or bad thermistors or calibrations?
        I'm talking about when I first took the board out of the box and set everything up, with the CPU fan in the 4pin CPU fan header, hitting the power button, and the fan not coming on. It get's a tiny twitch, but doesn't start up.
        I'm thinking either the motherboard is bad, or the blue wire thats on the fan, the 4th one, is bad and not being sensed by the motherboard so it thinks nothings plugged in.

Comment

Some fans may only run once a certain temp is reached as well.

Comment

Working...
          X