Ga-p45-dq6 not sleeping. Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ga-p45-dq6 not sleeping. Please help

So I have a q9550 and a ga-ep45-dq6 and f13d bios that won't s3 sleep. S1 works fine. 12 hr prime 95 stable. 100 run lin pack stable. Temps great. Never bsoded. Never crashed in game. Perfect chip outsite of s3 sleep not working above 410mhz fsb. Quite sure its gigabyte's screwup, but a certain someone believes otherwise. Below are my settings. Maybe there's something you see thats off. I don't see anything. My system is perfectly stable :( Would like a work around. If not, for sure next board an asus or MSI because no s3 sleep is quite lousy indeed.

I've tried everything btw from pretty much every windows sleep fix to every bios available on the gigabyte website and every possible configuration that makes any sort of sense. Nothing works. I also had a ga-ep45-ds3r with the same problem and despite switching board, psu, chip, ram, and video card at some point or other the problem is exactly the same. How is it that two p45 boards have the exact same problem despite difference configs between the two of them?

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0.5
    CPU Frequency ...........................: 4ghz

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 471 Mhz
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:Set to 100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
    CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
    PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
    CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< auto
    MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< auto

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: 400mhz
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00B
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 471 x 2
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................5
    tRCD .........................................5
    tRP'...........................................5
    tRAS..........................................12

Set all Suggested below to highest Values first. Then later you can lower, one at a time, testing as you go

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................aut o
    tWTR.......................................... auto
    tWR............................................ auto
    tRFC........................................... auto
    tRTP........................................... auto
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength Profiles
    Driving Strength ............................ auto

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................: auto
    tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
    tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
    tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
    Last edited by Sunburn74; 11-29-2009, 02:39 AM.

Re: Ga-p45-dq6 not sleeping. Please help

tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
    Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
    Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
    Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................: auto tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
    Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
    Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control

CPU
    CPU Vcore….……….........................:1.318

CPU Termination…..... 1.38

CPU PLL…………………....1.56

CPU Referen.…………....0.76V*.......:auto <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< auto .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.34
    MCH Reference….…….0.760V...........; <<< 0.775 (one step up. Needed for stability)
    MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: 0.95 (one step up. needed for stability)
    ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: <<< auto
    ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< auto

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ……....2.1 V............:
    DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
    Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
    Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled]

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage De

Comment

Since you are mentioning other brands in a brand specific forum I just have to reply, in truth. Those brands, and all others, also have S3 sleep issues until the BIOS kinks are worked out. Some never are, for any brand, but I assure you it has been for this model lineup as I use it myself. Just FYI on the other brands, don't go spending money only to have to learn the hard way.

What OS are you using? If it is windows 7 then that could be part of the blame, I have seen many issues with S3 and windows 7 lately. I use Vista and have zero issues with sleep on P45 boards.

I see you are using a lot of auto's, this is likely a huge part of the problem!

I will get you some suggested settings to try so you can tweak and test things a bit for stability, then try S3 once you find stability.

But first, this can't be right?
      (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: 400mhz
      System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00B
      Anyway, please give me a link to your ram or the model # and tell me how much of it you are using, then I will give you a full set of suggested settings. I can see why you are having issues though, many of those settings will not be fully stable in auto

Comment

I don't know... I'm just upset a bit and can get carried away in my s3 sleep passion (i literally have tried so many failed things). I'll probably buy a gigabyte again since it does seem the problems may have been addressed in other boards, but dammit, I just don't like how gigabyte tech support completely refuses to even address the problem.

I'm using vista 64 basic
        Indeed its 2.00D. Just a typo.

I do have 8gb of muskin redline 1000mhz ram.

Like I said, at lower fsbs it works, but as soon as I cross about 410mhz, it goes away. Safe mode doesn't assist either.

Comment

996593 - 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2-8000 5-5-5-12 Redline (Dual Kit)

the link to the ram

Comment

Well normal support channels have been told this is fixed and it is, that could be why they are no help?

I now remember you posting about your S3 issues and how you fixed them before in Vista. Right? I think so, so as you said MS Helped you directly and you were able to use S3 up to 41x FSB right?

Anyway, I will see if the engineers will look into the latest BIOS for you again and test, but they will likely say as I do that it is working up to 450+ FSB.

It very well could be the 8GB giving you issues, I only test with 4GB, do you have to have 8GB for something particular? Can you check into that and test with 4GB?

Comment

I do indeed need the 8gb; I occasionally push 5gb or 6gb of stuff loaded in the OS when working in Adobe and etc.

I noticed something interesting yesterday. I've used all the bioses released for this board at some point from about f8 up. I was using the f13d beta bios at the time when I created this thread. However, I decided to go back and recheck if optimized defaults worked with s3 sleep on the f13D because I couldn't if when I flashed if I loaded optimized defaults or used fail safe defaults (i read that long thread about how to flash which you posted;good stuff). Anyway, It didn't. The pc would sleep, but when it reawoke all the fan would spin, without ever dying down or power cycling (normally s3 sleep failure gives an infinite reboot cycle); essentially the pc would power up at full blast but never do anything. I thought it was a fluke so I reset the pc and reloaded optimized defaults and the same thing happened.

So then I reflashed with f13D again. it didn't work and yielded the same type of failure (full blast fans and lights, nothing happening). S3 sleep on default settings (no OC, no changes, etc) just wouldn't work.

I had to flash to f12 to get s3 sleep working at optimized defaults. Anyway, the current problem is still the same: i get the classic infinite power reboot with the f12 bios when OCed. With the f12 bios at 4ghz s3 sleep doesn't work but at optimized default it works. I ran linpack for 20 runs with the f12/4ghz settings and it was stable and so far prime 95 blend has been running for about 5hrs and is also stable (I used the same settings I used for the f13d beta bios). Stability doesn't seem to be the issue.

Sadly I haven't been able to test for the upper limit on s3 sleep. When I last checked it was around 410mhz. Again, like I said whats most upsetting to me is that I had a ga-ep45-ds3 which had the exact same problem. Over time between my current rig and last rig I've changed all the following components:

the ga-ep45-ds3 started off with 4gb of ocz reaper ram, an e8400, a coolmax 500w psu, a a nvidia 9600gt, a generic WD hard drive, and a nzxt hush case

my current rig is a ga-ep45-dq6 with 8gb of mushkin redline ram, a q9550, an enermax 625 modular psu, a nvidia gtx 260, 2x X-25ms in raid0, and a silverstone ft01 case

I've literally switched out every component yet the same issue exists and had several different overclocking schemes and yet the same problem exists. You can see why I'm a bit miffed :)
              Last edited by Sunburn74; 11-30-2009, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info on 8GB, I just wanted to ask because many users us 8-12GB and really only need / use 3-4GB, so I thought I would ask to see if you really needed it or not. Do you mind doing some testing with 4GB only just to see if this matters or not?

I have wrote in and asked if the BIOS engineers could look at this board again for this issue for you.

When you are doing your optimized test for S3, you should still make a few changes of course. I would try that again just to be sure, and change Perf. Enh. to Standard, set your needed MCH Voltage for 8GB (Maybe 1.24-1.3), and set your ram voltage to 2.1-2.15 too.

MCH Ref may be key in your finding stability at high clocks when resuming, do you adjust this manually or not?

I do suggest any and all further testing be done on the latest Beta of course, as this is what the engineers will be testing with once they get time to look into the issue for you.

Comment

Ok, I recieved word back from the Gigabyte engineers and my contact on this issue, as I suspected the S3 issues were resolved a while ago. Here is a image of the email showing you their reply >>

So it likely is that some of your settings off still a little, or the use of 8GB at high clocks. Can you please test 4GB for me at your higher overclocks and if it fails post me the settings you are trying. I know you need 8GB, but lets test 4 for now and see if this maybe is the cause of your problems, if so I will try to help you find a solution

Comment

I just tested 4gb of ram. S3 sleep failed, with the infinite power reboot happening afterwards.

As for my system settings they are as follows:
                    I'm running 4ghz (471x8.5).

Most of the ram settings are on auto. The only manual entries are the timings (5-5-5-12) and the voltage (2.1V)

My settings for the cpu and mch are listed above. My current mch voltage is 1.34. I've tested as high as 1.4, with no success. The only ref settings I changed are to mch ref and mch dram ref, both of which I increased by one step from default (its tough to describe ref voltages since they are dependent on other values) . Without the increase, prime 95 tends to fail at about 4 hrs. With the increase, its 24hr stable essentially.

I think you are right in that most likely its a ram issue and its some auto setting that is causing problems. If you have tips for manual setting, I'd like to hear them because s3 sleep is essentially whats keeping my system from being a perfect system IMO...

Comment

Then your settings must be incorrect, and since you say all Auto that likely could be the cause. And 1.34 is to much MCH for 4GB, maybe even too much for 8GB

Please post for me your 4GB test settings in full and I will advise back, for now put MCH Ref at default/auto for 4GB test on S3, and then a second one with MCH Ref at .70 then put Vtt back to what you normally use.

MCH Dram Ref should not need to be changed, although it may help at 8GB but for 4GB Auto should be just fine

Comment

Ok.
                        So below is a screen shot of my cpu and ram settings at 4ghz with 4gb (it says 8gb, but I just put my sticks back in and the memset values didn't change between what they were at 8gb vs 4gb. I did however do all my testing with just 4gb installed)

BTW, the ram settings at stock settings (as listed in the order of that memset screen shot) are: 6,44,11,13,11,3,8,5,6,2597, 2T. The timings are the same.

I found that if I go into easytune and drop the FSB, the ram settings remain unchanged across the board. For example, if I load windows with my 4ghz oced settings and use easy tune to drop down to a 371mhz FSB, none of the numbers memset shows change outside of the frequency.

I found that s3 sleep works up to 438 FSB with those settings. Above 438, it stops working. Again, none of the ram settings change as I'm increasing fsb frequency.

I then tested single variables across the RAM, ich, and mch settings to see if I could get 440mhz to s3 sleep. Since its only a minor gain of 2mhz, the necessary voltage increase or decrease shouldn't be very much to the lacking voltage settings. However, no single variable increase to any ram, ich, or mch settings let me get 440mhz s3 sleepable.
                        Last edited by Sunburn74; 12-01-2009, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Please fill out a template, this makes it much easier on myself and others who may try to help as many settings we need to see are just not shown in programs.

I can say though, that is a lot of MCH Core even if/when using 8GB. So surely do not use that for 4GB, try 1.20-1.24. tRD must be set as well, you are using Auto now looks like.

I need to see all settings though, so please do fill out a template

Comment

These are my current settings. I've been tweaking a bit, and they are stable (7hrs prime95 last night), but s3 sleep is still amiss past 440mhz.

Code:
                            CPU = Model q9550
                            Motherboard = Ga-ep45-dq6 
                            BIOS Version = F12 D
                            Ram = Mushkin Redline 1000mhz DDR2 ram

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                            Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto 
                            CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 8
                            Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:0.5
                            CPU Frequency ...........................: 4ghz

Clock Chip Control 
                            Standard Clock Control
                            CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Enabled] 
                            CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 471 Mhz
                            PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
                            CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
                            PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
                            CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 0
                            MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< 0

DRAM Performance Control
                            Performance Enhance...................: [STANDARD]
                            Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                            (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [400mhz]
                            System Memory Multiplier ..............: 2.00D
                            Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 942
                            DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
                            CAS Latency Time........................5
                            tRCD .........................................5
                            tRP'...........................................5
                            tRAS..........................................15

Advanced Timing Control
                            tRRD...........................................3
                            tWTR..........................................11
                            tWR............................................
                            tRFC...........................................52
                            tRTP...........................................5
                            Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2T

Driving Strength Profiles
                            Driving Strength ............................ Auto

Channel A (auto for everything below)
                            Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
                             tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto 
                            Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
                            Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Channel B (auto for everything below)
                            Static tRead Value.........................:6/7-10 333/B MCH - 8/9-12 400/D MCH
                             tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto <<< Leave for all below as well
                            Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps
                            Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto  ps

Motherboard Voltage Control

CPU
                            CPU Vcore….……….........................1.31875

CPU Termination…..... 1.38

CPU PLL…………………....1.56

CPU Referen.…………....0.76 

CPU Reference2………0.800V

MCH/ICH
                            MCH Core…………….....1.34
                            MCH Reference….…….0.775
                            MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V
                            ICH I/O……………….....1.500V
                            ICH Core…………...……1.100V

DRAM
                            DRAM Voltage ……....2.1 
                            DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: <<< Leave
                            Channel A Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave
                            Channel B Reference 0.900V............: <<< Leave

Advanced Settings
                            Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
                            No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
                            CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
                            C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
                            x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
                            CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
                            CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
                            Virtualization Technology................: [Disabled
                            Integrated Peripherals
                            Legacy USB Storage Detect ..............[Disabled]
                            A picture is a worth a thousand words
                            Last edited by Sunburn74; 12-01-2009, 03:24 PM.

Comment

You should be setting your own tRD and Driving Strengths, is there a reason you don't? Just wondering. I see tRD of 10 is used, this is very poor for performance, but should not give you issues with this though

CPU termination is pretty high, normally that much about Vcore is dangerous. So I would suggest you try less, with more Vcore if needed to compensate

Again MCH Core is very high, do you have a fan on it? 1.26-1.3 should be plenty for 8GB

You may also need to use 555-18, the ram spec of 555-12 is per single kits. Just to see if this is the problem, try 666-18 for a quick test, then you will know if ram timings have anything to do with it or not. If that does not help then you need to look at my other suggestions.

All "Ref" Voltages should be in auto for now, unless you specifically and properly set them. Either way i would really suggest for S3 testing that you leave them all in Auto, except maybe MCH Ref

Comment

Working...
                              X