Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-M61P-S3 cold boot blank screen when VGA card installed

Noted: Posted this in the ASUS graphic card forum as well

Issue: On cold boot video screen remains blank thus never see the BIOS post screen, etc. Sometimes, while waiting for the boot process, the display will show output after OS loads the video driver, but this is not always the case.

Workaround: Warm reset. Can be done as soon as a few seconds after powering on and this always fixes the initialization problem (thus BIOS screen, boot process is visible).

- I have no other problems with the Card or the system in general.

DATA
    Card: ASUS EN9600GSO/DI/512MD3/V2 GeForce 9600 GSO
    - I am using a DVI to HDMI connection to a HDTV.
    - Alternative connection here could be hdmi -> hdmi if I bought another cable, however I had the same initialization issue when testing the VGA DSUB connection to an Acer 17in LCD monitor.
    - A previous config connected to the same TV was old ABIT IC7-MAX3 mobo and NVIDIA 6800gt AGP card, DVI->HDMI without any such issue.

MB: Gigabyte M61P-S3 bios F6
    MB bios settings:
    Onboard GPU: set to "Enable if No Ext. PEG" (only other option is Always enable)
    Init Display First: set to PEG

CPU: AMD 5200+
    PS: OCZ OCZ700MXSP 700W
    MEM: Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800

UPDATE: also occurs if onboard GPU is set to always enable and init display first is set to PEG and have also tested bios F7F (beta) with no change
    Last edited by dblade; 12-01-2009, 02:25 PM.

Re: GA-M61P-S3 cold boot blank screen when VGA card installed

This board does not offer southbridge voltage adjustments does it? This would likely help if it did.

When you get to check, please try this hotkey while you do. On the MAIN Page of the BIOS press "Control + F1" then the screen will flash, then go into the MIT Section and see if you see any Southbridge voltage adjustments or not. I doubt you will but it's worth looking.

If you don't find any, please send in a report on this issue directly, maybe then they can send you a beta BIOS after some testing to try to correct the issue >>
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Comment

There is a 'Chipset Voltage Control' under MIT with a setting range of .0250V-0.200V. I have went through and tested each setting individually but had no luck with it fixing the issue.

I have submitted a question (pasted my original post) using the support link that you provided. I appreciate the assistance.

Comment

Let us know what they tell you.

Chipset would be Northbridge voltage, which you shouldn't need to raise unless you are using 4GB or more of memory.

Comment

so by south bridge do you mean that small IT8716 chip that ties into the BIOS, Floppy, LPT, COM, and PS/2 ports? Page 7 and 8, http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList...-m61p-s3_e.pdf

Comment

Please read this guide if you are unsure about any of the safe flashing procedures >>

Do not use @BIOS!

Do you have or can you borrow another PCIE Card to test with? Maybe the board is just not compatible with your card, not all PCIE 1.1 boards will work with PCIE 2.0 cards

Comment

F7F already tested as per original post. I'll see about another PCIe card. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Sorry, I often do not have time to go back and read all posts. Please do let us know if you get to test another card how things go with that

Comment

I haven't heard back from Gigabyte support. I ended up getting a new HDTV which has a VGA port and I'm not having this issue anymore.

This makes me wonder if there is any sort of negotation or detection that occurs when the card is initilized (off code boot) and it just wasn't happening as expected when connected DVI->HDMI.

Comment

Working...
                  X