Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD3R, no power..

Hi all,
    I got a GA-X58A-UD3R mobo to use with a core i7 920, 3x2GB corsair xms3 ddr3s and a gigabyte radeon 5770.
    When connected all together on a corsair 650w psu, a blue led on "clr cmos" button on the mobo starts to blink and no other sign of power exists. The pc will not power on, no fans start moving etc.
    I tested the psu by shorting the green pin to Gnd and it starts so I guess it is not broken. Pwr switch checked for continuity, checked with and without gpu, ram, cpu, allways the same thing: clr cmos blink, no other sign of power. I can't test the cpu and ram on another pc, i don't know somebody with a 1366 socket mobo...
    Any ideas are welcome!
    Thanks

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R, no power..

Is your EPS_12v 8-pin cable properly connected to your motherboard?
    Can you test with another psu?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Thanks for the fast reply!
      Both 24 pin and 2x4 pin are ok on the mobo.
      Unfortunately I only have old 20pin atx PSUs available so I cannot test with other psu . I also cannot test this psu on another mobo, since it doesn't fit my old 20pin mobo. Only check I could do with the psu was to short green wire to gnd and just see that it works.
      I cannot find what the clr_cmos led blinking means (I tried clearing the cmos with the button, battery removal-shortage etc, nothing changed) It is not stated on the manual or support site. It doesn't seem "normal"...

Comment

Are you testing with your mobo out of the computer case?
        Can you borrow another psu to test with? Your mobo and psu might have compatibility issues. It's rare, but it does happen sometimes.
        Are you using the correct memory slot(s) for your mobo?

Check out the suggestions in the How to perform a P.O.S.T. bench test thread and in the links to my posts in the second post.

Your situation is definitely not normal.
        Let us know how you make out, good luck!
        E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
        Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
        Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
        HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers

Comment

Thanks once again,
          first time I tested inside the case (I was hoping for it to work at once!) but later tests were on bench. The memorey slots were the correct ones, I even tried with one ddr3 stick on different slots, even without ram on at all. Even without cpu, allways the same thing. I guess it could be some kind of bios bug?
          I'll try to borrow another psu to test with, and I am also waiting for a reply from gigabyte support regarding the clear_cmos blinking.
          Thinking I should RMA, since the shop I bought from offers 7 days Dead on Arrival replacement.
          I'll update this when I know more!
          Thanks

Comment

I am running this same setup (920,X58A-UD3R, and HX-650) with no compatibility issues.

does the fan in the PSU spin?

Comment

No, no sign of power on the system at all, except for the clr cmos blink, that's the wierd thing. It seems that no signal is going to the psu for power on...
              Since you're on the same setup, can u answer a few questions of mine?
              -Does the clr cmos button blink normaly? does it even light up?
              -Does x58A-ud3r start without a gpu? (I mean does it start the psu and spin the fans) Without ram? without cpu?
              Thanks, though I gave it back to the shop as Dead on Arrival, and waiting for a reply for them.

PS. Gigabyte support answered a typical "remove extra cards, and reset bios by removing batt etc" but no mention on the blinking, so I still don't know what it is.

Comment

I got news on this one:
                I brought the mobo-cpu-ram back to the shop as Dead on Arrival. Their service dept confirmed a faulty mobo and replaced it.
                When I connected the new mobo, surprise, the same issue!! No power, clr_cmos blink...
                So, I guessed it was not the mobo and measured the Vsb on the psu's 24pin clip and it measured 4.8 ranging to 4.9v! Then I applied 5.0v to the mobo's Vsb pin and guess what, the clr_cmos led came on and no blinking!!!
                So after all: the psu is working but supplies less than 5.0v for Vsb and the mobo detects this and denies to boot! That's what the blinking means: "NOT 5V on Vsb!" (I really think this should be on the manual somewhere!)
                Now I have to RMA the psu!...doh...
                Thanks again, hope this helps anyone having the same prob!

Comment

I have almost the same confiruration as you, Uclaros, except i have got the Corsair HX 750W powersupplyand the i7 930 processor.

When i push the power-on-button there's two lights that lights up on the DDR PHASE LED, a green and a yellow.
                  Does that mean then that there's something wrong with the memory?

So, what you're saying is that these powersupply doesn't give the amount of voltage that the motherboard wants to boot? Is the solution to get a equally powerfull powersupply from a different brand? Or was it something on the motherboard that could be changed, some pin that needed to be changed, to get it to boot?
                  I have been tearing my hair over this issue and i've done everything what you did before becoming really desperate and browsing the net for some answers. Luckily for me i found yours. :-)
                  Last edited by krampand; 03-27-2010, 11:49 AM.

Comment

some psu's just wont work unfortunatly its hard to say which will and which wont,i know that ocz and zalman psu's dont work very well on gigabyte boards.i have a very cheap alphapower brand, works flawlessly for over a year now,try looking on ebay
                    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
                    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
                    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
                    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
                    Dual Boot
                    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
                    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
                    Ati x1950 pro gpu
                    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                    1050w psu
                    Nzxt lexa case
                    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

I've seen several Newegg psu customer reviews where different brands or models had issues with the Gigabyte X58 mobos. In one review, the manufacturer responded that there was an issue with one of their 750 watt units, but this was limited to the earliest versions and that this is no longer an issue with their later "updated" units. No other details were given.

The problem might be that some motherboards are a bit too picky about their voltages. I'm pretty sure that the ATX_v2.2 spec for +5VSB is plus or minus 5%, meaning that this voltage is in spec when it is between 4.75 and 5.25 volts, and this is the same rating for the regular 5 volt psu rail.

Comment

+1 ^^ Yeap!

I just dug up the thread here not too long ago in regards to this, although this brand/model was not one mentioned it does not mean it did not apply.

BUT.... This sounds to me like you may have a short, or bent CPU Socket pins. This is often the issue presented when such things happen.

You are sure you have the 24Pin and 8Pin power cables connected to the board correct? You have your memory in the correct slots right? Unlike older gen boards, with X58 you need to use the further slots. You need to use 1, 3, 5 (Physical 2, 4, 6 White)

Are you sure also that your GFC Card works? If you are not sure on the GFX please test it in another system, I recently was testing a GFX card with a bricked BIOS and it caused the system to fail to start at all.

If you are sure your GFX card is fine, then please build the system outside of the case with the Intel stock fan on a wooden table, or cardboard box and then test with only one stick of memory (In any white slot) and your GFX card only, no drives, ect.

Then if it boots you know you either had a short in your case, or with your cooler. If it does not boot still, try clearing the CMOS to see if that helps.

If none of that helps, you may have a bent CPU Socket pin, or several. You may want to check this first. When checking PLEASE Be careful, use a bright light and look closely for anything that looks bent or out of alignment.

Comment

I tried all of the normal tests, i work as onsite-support so i know how to check for errors.
                          None of it has been successfull.
                          But i can say one thing positive.
                          When i tried my old psu, a Antec 500W Earthwatch, i got enough power to the motherboard so that the cpu fan started to spin and it began to start boot for a few seconds but then it died. Just like when you try to start a car that's a bit sour. I thonk that it was too weak to fully give the power needed to go on. With my new psu i got no response whatsoever.
                          I'm going to send it back to the webshop so they can test it.

Comment

Hi,
                            my problem was solved with a new PSU (though I got an irritating coil-whine), but at the first place I got no power at all (no phase leds) in contrast to your case...

I think that the 500W psu should be more than enough to boot your system (mobo, psu, ram, 1 gfx) so if your system fails to boot on both psus then the problem is probably elsewhere. But if you have a miltimeter handy try measuring the Vsb pin of the psu, since the mobo seems indeed a bit picky about this one!
                            regards

Comment

Well krampand, it does sound like maybe your PSU is to blame here. Did you check for bent pins just to be sure?

Just wondering. Let us know what the web shop finds, if you test another PSU, or if you checked for bent pins.

Comment

Working...
                              X