GA-X58A-UD3R, no power..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R, no power..

NO CPU will not work as a test for anything, the board will not start or beep, just to let you know.

Comment

Well, I took it back to the shop. They tested it with another CPU+RAM+GPU, and it still did not work. So it really was the motherboard that was defective... The seller told me it was the first time he had a dead Gigabyte board brought back to him, lucky me.
      He didn't have another in stock, but he should have it tomorrow. I'll pick up the replacement and hopefully won't defy the odds once again.
      Thanks for the help, everyone.
      ~~~~
      Core i7 930
      CRUCIAL 6GB KIT (2GBX3), DDR3-10600 CT3KIT25664BA1339
      Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev 1.0
      Silverstone ST1000-P
      Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X

Comment

well atleast you know it was the board,goodluck with the new one,let me know how it goes
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yes, hope your new board works better!

Keep us posted on what happens

Comment

The new mb works fine... I guess I was just very unlucky. Thanks for the help!
            ~~~~
            Core i7 930
            CRUCIAL 6GB KIT (2GBX3), DDR3-10600 CT3KIT25664BA1339
            Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev 1.0
            Silverstone ST1000-P
            Sapphire HD 5870 Vapor-X

Comment

Originally posted by barsanuphe View Post
              The new mb works fine... I guess I was just very unlucky. Thanks for the help!
              thats great,glad your up and running now
              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Great to hear your replacement works fine!

Comment

I am having a similar problem as here, with a couple differences I guess.

Bought new x58a-ud3r board with I7-930 CPU, 6GB of ram (not sure brand).

Took it home, tried to power up and just the flashing Clear CMOS light.. This is an upgrade, current system Intel Core 2Quad system works fine. Tried several things (pulled board out so not shorting, etc) and still nothing.

Took it back to the store to see if they would return it (just wanted them to test but they were going to charge me $30). The gave in and tested, and it tested fine (i saw it POST on their bench), so I know everything works and is in the right slot,etc.

Decided just in case I bought a 600Watt PS (old one was 550). Took everything home and plugged in. With new PS, I get a solid light on the "clear cmos" button, but still nothing..

No status lights on the MB, no Case Fan, no CPU fan, nothing..

Only difference is they used a different PS and different video card. I have tried my working PCIe video card (just a generic ATI I think) and also a PCI video card.

I suppose I can go to another store and try another PS, but if the MB is that picky about power supplies, I am not sure I want it..

I

Comment

try setting it up outside of the case on wooden table or cardboard box just incase its a short somewhere,avoid ocz,zalman psu's,make sure you install the memory in the white slots only,i would try with another psu different brand from the last ones you used maybe a corsair?

its the power supply i think,if it was the gpu it would still start up with fans/lights ect
                    Last edited by wazza300; 08-03-2010, 12:37 PM.
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

I have tried taking it out of the case.. I ~think~ my ~new~ PSU might be a OCZ (the store said they were good PSUs). I might go to best buy and pick up one to try tonight hopefully they will have a corsair (any other suggestions?).

Are motherboards getting more picky in general, or is this just a gigabyte thing (or this particular motherboard?) I have never had issues where a wattage capable PSU won't power up a system...

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                      try setting it up outside of the case on wooden table or cardboard box just incase its a short somewhere,avoid ocz,zalman psu's,make sure you install the memory in the white slots only,i would try with another psu different brand from the last ones you used maybe a corsair?

its the power supply i think,if it was the gpu it would still start up with fans/lights ect

Comment

Originally posted by tawollen View Post
                        I have tried taking it out of the case.. I ~think~ my ~new~ PSU might be a OCZ (the store said they were good PSUs). I might go to best buy and pick up one to try tonight hopefully they will have a corsair (any other suggestions?).

Are motherboards getting more picky in general, or is this just a gigabyte thing (or this particular motherboard?) I have never had issues where a wattage capable PSU won't power up a system...
                        ahh an ocz psu,it stands a good chance its incompatible and yh its seems gigabyte boards are picky with psu's,try and go for a corsair hx or tx model psu,hx would be better

ive seen alot of users have problems with ocz psu's,not all ocz models but alot of them and zalman

if you cant get a corsair then any other brand should work apart from ocz and zalman
                        Last edited by wazza300; 08-03-2010, 02:02 PM.
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

You may need a 920 CPU to flash the BIOS with, 930 CPU was only supported with later BIOSes, so that might be the problem.

See if you can borrow one from somebody to test with before you buy a new PSU, just in case this is the issue. Or you could see if that same store that had it working would allow you to give them the BIOS file and let them update it for you.

930 CPU was not supported until BIOS F4
                          GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY Socket 1366 - Intel X58 - GA-X58A-UD3R (rev. 1.0)

So if you can get someone to either update the BIOS for you using 920, or verify that it is F4 or newer, then you will know if the CPU is the issue or not.

Comment

I have the same problem except my mobo is udr5. Besides the blinking clear cmos blue light, there is an internal power reset button that blinks blue. I want to try that test you worked with shorting the green and black pins. Are these pins contained inside Front_Panel? Are they on the mobo? I have a Corsair 650 psu so perhaps you mean those small two prong wires. I don't have that color, and the color doesn't match the mobo user manual. I tried all the suggestions. Put my DDR3 memory in white slots, check my cpu for crooked pins, took the mobo out of the case etc. No power. Stephen
                            i7-950 cpu
                            6mb DDR3
                            Geforce 9600 GT
                            Corsair 650 watt
                            GA-X58A-UDR5

Comment

Green and black pin shorting is for testing your power supply, nothing to do with nor located on the motherboard.

Here is more info on that, they are in the 24 pin motherboard power cable coming from the PSU itself.
                              How To: Jump Start A Power Supply (PSU) / Test A Power Supply And Components - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

You could just test the PSU on another working motherboard, if you are unsure of the PSU being good or not.

When you had the board out of the case, did you try with only one stick of memory (In any white slot) and no hard drives or anything else connected? If not try that.

Also, did you try clearing the CMOS? If not try that, unplug your PSU from the wall, press and hold the case power on button for one minute, then press and hold the clean CMOS button for 2-3 minutes.

Press good as it is a tiny button, so be sure you press it all the way in. Then try again with one stick of memory.

It could also be the PSU itself, even if it is in good working order it may not be compatible, do you have or can you borrow another to try with?

Comment

Thanks for your very prompt supply. Yes, I tried with one stick of memory and tried a different one stick of memory. Before I ordered the components I checked to see that the udr5 motherboard worked with a corsair power supply. I did reset the cmos but pretty sure I didn't hold it down for a minute. When I read this thread, I thought it was the motherboard after he could start the computer using the green and black pins. If I can short those pins and the computer starts, I'm also going to suspect the motherboard. As of now, getting a jump started computer would be encouraging. Again, thanks for you link and ideas. I don't have a mobo which has this modern of connections. Unless the main psu power cable will fit an old board with less pins for the power. I will try the link first. All of these components are fresh out of the box, the whole build. Stephen

Comment

Working...
                                X