GA-X58A-UD3R - won't boot without USB stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-X58A-UD3R - won't boot without USB stick

I have the GA-X58A-UD3R in a new build with an i7 920 and 12GB of Corsair RAM. everything worked great for a few days then I rebooted the computer and I got a 'Voltage error' at the 1st CMOS screen.
    I restarted and it locks at the 1st CMOS screen (But no error message). I was able to reset the CMOS by taking out the battery (Pushing the clear CMOS button wouldn't do it) and get into BIOS setup.

I've tried flashing to the F4 BIOS and back to F3, and removing all the RAM except one stick but I can't get rid of this freeze at the 1st screen.

Now here is the weird part, I accidentally discovered (Leaving the USB stick in from a BIOS flash) that the computer will boot fine if there is a USB stick connected during boot! I get into windows 7 x64 fine and everything is running great but without the USB stick it freezes at the 1st CMOS screen!

Very strange behavior indeed.

Perhaps someone has an idea of whats going on?

Thanks,

Re: GA-X58A-UD3R - won't boot without USB stick

Did you reload Optimized Defaults after flashing?

Comment

Yes, as well as tried 'Failsafe'.

Comment

Suggestions:

you may try to change the boot device list and the device boot order.

Also, remove the USB devices from the lists, until you actually need to boot using the USB storage device.

Jure Z.
        i7 920 (D0) @ 4.05 GHz (193*21) | GA-EX58-UD3R Rev 1.6 | BIOS Rev FI
        6 GB Patriot Viper ELK DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24 T2 (V ram = 1.66V) | ATI Radeon HD 4890 1 GB
        Antec EarthWatts 750 W PS | Corsair H50-1 water cooler (push pull fans -> case exhaust mode) | Cooler Master HAF922 case
        Win XP Home 32 SP3

Comment

Thanks, however the freeze is happening before it gets to harddrive detection in fact before the memory test.

Comment

I've got exactly the same problem with my EP45 UD3R.

I was flashing my video card bios and afterwards I removed the usbstick and the computer crashed.

I tried everything, reseting the cmos and alike, I'm not able to post without the USB-Stick.

If I disable the USB-Controllers altogether it works, but if I just disable USB Storage it hangs during post :(.

Did you find a solution?

Comment

when you flashed the bios did you untick the keep dmi pool data?? if not try unticking it so that it wipes the pool data before it flashes the bios,it seemslike its searching for the usb stick and if its not there it freezes the pc
              Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
              Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
              Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
              Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
              1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
              1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
              Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
              Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
              K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
              L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
              Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
              http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
              Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I've tried it all.
                Somehow the USB-Controller fails to initialize correctly without the stick, regadless of any cmos or dmi settings.

Comment

was or did u make the usb stick bootable when you flashed? its a very weird problem
                  Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                  Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                  Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                  Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                  1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                  1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                  Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                  Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                  K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                  L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                  Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                  Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Yes it's a pretty old 64MB USB Stick I have been using for bios and other dos stuff for ages.

There must be some eeprom or nvflash on the board besides the cmos which got screwed up -.-.

Comment

Just to be sure, did/was the stick removed when you cleared the CMOS? Try this, do a BIOS update without that USB stick. Load Optimized Setup, setup your BIOS and reboot. If that doesn't work. I'm guessing that somehow you got your boot loader stuck on the USB stick and Windows is looking for it when the stick is removed. If that the case, Install the Windows DVD and do system repair. Should fix your problem. In fact, I'd try the system repair anyway. MAKE SURE THE USB STICK ISN'T INSTALLED!!!

You can visit us at Windows Seven forums and check this tutorial - Startup Repair - Windows 7 Forums

Let me know. Good luck.
                      - My System Specs -
                      GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
                      Core i7-950 @ 3.8GHz Processor
                      Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU Cooler
                      6 gig Corsair Dominator - TR3X6G1600C8D
                      ATI Radeon HD6950 2Gig Video Card
                      Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro Souncard
                      Antec Signature SG-850 PS
                      Cooler Master HAF X
                      Win7 Ult x64

Comment

I would try what is mentioned above, or just clear the CMOS and then load optimized and start again (Without the USB Stick installed of course)

If you are using RAID, be sure you read this guide for flashing, so you can safely clear your CMOS and load optimized defaults without messing up your array

If you do go ahead and update the BIOS again, use Qflash and disable "Keep DMI Data" before you flash, you will need to use the PgUp/PgDn keys to change this setting

Comment

It cannot post without the USB-Stick. It hangs just before it would say "dual channel ram bla".
                          And after 20 seconds it reboots. On and on and on. Unless I plug in the USB Stick.

I cannot enter the bios without the USB Stick, it never gets to where it would look for me pressing DEL.

And it never gets to load from my hard drive.

Disabling USB2 in Bios seems to be a workaround, too... but no solution.
                          Last edited by karateQQ; 05-25-2010, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Have you tried clearing the cmos by removing the battery, with the PSU unpluged from the wall, for 20 minutes? If not try that now, and also press and hold the case power button for a minute once you start the process.

If none of that helps, go ahead and leave in the USB Stick, then flash the BIOS as I mentioned above disabling Keep DMI Data, remove the USB Stick, then load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot.

Also, once the stick is removed check in Advanced BIOS features and make sure your OS hard drive is at the top of the hard disk boot priority list.

Comment

I've removed the battery and the power for an hour.

Putting back the battery and turning on the pc imediately leads to the reboot loop I described. As soon as I plug in the USB stick (and it always has to be the same USB Port) the computer POSTs and I can enter the bios.

I guess I'll check my warranty -.-

Comment

Working...
                              X