Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UD3P - Please help with revised RAM timings and stable OC settings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UD3P - Please help with revised RAM timings and stable OC settings.

Hi Guys...

I just got some replacement RAM since one of my modules of 'Reaper' was bad. It's pretty difficult to find PC2-9200 Reaper modules now (plenty of 8500 available). Anyway I got 2 additional 2GB modules of this:
    OCZ PC2-9200 Platinum 4GB Dual Channel Kit OCZ Technology

So...I now have (2) 2GB modules of the above as well as (2) 2GB modules of this:
    OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 Reaper HPC 4GB Edition OCZ Technology

I left the BIOS settings where they were when I was running only (2) 2GB modules of Reaper. The machine was stable in MemTest86+ as well as Prime95 with the CPU running at 2.93GHz. (see post here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/plea...45-ud3p-38467/

As soon as I added the new modules I started MemTest, but it failed on Test #5.
    I tried in vain to tweak the DRAM voltage a little, but it would error sooner than Test #5 in MemTest or wouldn't boot into Windows.

So...I thought it best to Load Optimized Defaults and start over.
    Unfortunately, I'm at work right now and forgot to bring my settings along to post here.
    As soon as I get home, I'll add my current BIOS settings in hopes of getting things back to stable again.

Hopefully, it'll be pretty easy to fix this now that it's my only functioning PC in the house.
    I thought simply adding additional RAM at the settings I had wouldn't be a problem since they seem to have the same specs just different heatsinks.

In the meantime can you guys recommend a good place to start after loading Optimized defaults for running (4) 2GB modules of PC9200?

Thanks in advance!
    -Jeremy

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    i7Core 2600k Sandy Bridge
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
    (5) 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSDs
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Creative XFi Titanium Fatal1ty Champ
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
    Ultra Aluminus Card Reader, eSATA, USB3.0
    Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
    Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
    Logitech G19 Keyboard
    Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Re: UD3P - Please help with revised RAM timings and stable OC settings.

What speed are you trying to run the RAM at? If you're trying to run them at DDR2 1150 the I can almost guarantee you that you won't be able to do that.

Four modules will never ever achieve the same speed that you can achieve with only two. Even reaching 1000MHz CL5 is very hard on the memory controller.

PS: The chips on your two RAM kits are in all likelyhood identical, the only difference is the heatspreader/heatsink. So no worries there.

Comment

i thought ocz ram had a lifetime warranty??? didnt you try to rma??
      Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
      Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
      Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
      Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
      Dual Boot
      1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
      1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
      Ati x1950 pro gpu
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      1050w psu
      Nzxt lexa case
      http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

Thx for the replies, folks!
        I'm really hoping to achieve 1066 out of the RAM and was easily able to get there with (2) modules.

Also, I got an immediate credit with TigerDirect for the package I returned, but they were out of stock and couldn't offer a replacement.
        This actually worked out well because it forced me to look into the alternatives without the Reaper heatsink (which wouldn't fit into the 1st DIMM due to the cooler). I saw the Platinum Series offered the same specs and figured I'd be golden...evidently not.

I hope I didn't just waste $129 because I still need to get liquid cooling in order to OC my already too hot processor. :(

Is there much of a noticeable performance difference between running the RAM at 800 as opposed to 1066?
        I thought the RAM would have to run at the same speed as the rated FSB for the chip...is that incorrect or are the two not related?
        I really want to run all 8GB though as I do a lot of video and audio stuff.

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
        Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
        Evga GeForce GTX 580
        Ultra X4 1600W PSU
        Lite On BD Burner
        ASUS CD/DVDRW
        Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
        Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
        Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
        Logitech G19 Keyboard
        Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

Check the link in my sig, the performance difference is only noticeable in benchmarks when looking at the numbers, you'll never notice the PC being slower in a game/application.

I'm actually running my 4x2GB at DDR2 850 because I can't be bothered to tweak it to be stable at 1000+Mhz. If I can't tell the difference, why bother?

Check this out:
          How memory frequency affects latency - Tighter timings vs. Higher speeds? - The Tech Repository Forums
          DDR2 800 CL4 will actually give you the same performance as DDR2 1000. While this is only about CAS latency, it's pretty much true overall as well.
          This is also great:
          TTR's Guide to Determining Optimum Overclocked System Performance Points - The Tech Repository Forums

PS: You should NOT get liquid cooling, but get another CPU like Q9550. Liquid cooling + QX6700 will get you a lower CPU speed than air cooling + Q9550.

Comment

Thx Nickel020.
            I did peruse the articles you linked, but have only a little understanding as to what a lot of it boils down to.
            I'm brand new to overclocking or making BIOS adjustments until I joined here a few weeks ago.
            Although my job is an IT manager, it's just keeping corporate 'off the shelf' (mostly Dell) machines running and doing intermediate networking tasks.
            I won't pretend to have my brain wrapped around all of the excruciating minutia...yet. Heck, I'm not even good at math. :)

That's disappointing about the CPU...it was hard to find one and I thought it'd be able to be pushed pretty good (4.00mhz?) until I realized the cooling sucked.
            I'll take your advice into consideration when I have some money to throw at it again. (I'll admit to liking the eye candy that a liquid system can add as well ;)

Regarding optimum settings for my current setup of QX6700 and 8GB PC9200 RAM...where should I begin and move toward as far as what settings to tweak?
            Right now I'm pretty much at loaded Optimized settings, except I manually input the timing 5-6-6-18...everything else is on Auto with no Memory Multiplier so the RAM is at 800.
            Are you saying it's not possible to run 8GB at 1066? If it isn't, or if it doesn't matter as far as performance, what would be optimal or most stable?

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
            Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
            Evga GeForce GTX 580
            Ultra X4 1600W PSU
            Lite On BD Burner
            ASUS CD/DVDRW
            Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
            Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
            Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
            Logitech G19 Keyboard
            Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

You can probably get the CPU to 4GHz or a little more thanks to the unlocked multi, but a Q9550 will easily do 4Ghz, it has more cache and will stay cooler, as it's 45nm vs your CPUs 65nm. If you want performance, get the Q9550, if you want fun with something new, get a water setup :)

If you decide to go liquid expect to spend $150+ for a custom setup anything below that will NOT outperform a top $50 air cooler, and that includes the Corsair H50 (all the reviews saying it does are skewed - H50 being cooled with cool outside air while CPU uses hot air from the inside and blows it out of the case, while the Corsair heats up your case).
              Register at overclock.net and/or xtremesystems.org if you want advice on a custom watercooling setup!

Comment

Should I go that route (although what you're saying makes better sense) I think I've decided on the Swiftech H2O-220 Ultima XT...thoughts?
                But that's a down the road decision either way.
                For now I just wanna try to dial in what I have to provide the fastest performance while remaining stable.
                It seems with the settings where they are right now (basically default optimized with manual timings) that things aren't quite right although it boots in Windows, etc.
                Plus, I'd like to at least get back where I was with 4GB RAM running at 1066 and the CPU at 2.93Ghz. I guess I'm not understanding why adding additional RAM broke things or why I cant make adjustments to achieve the same speeds.

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
                Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
                Evga GeForce GTX 580
                Ultra X4 1600W PSU
                Lite On BD Burner
                ASUS CD/DVDRW
                Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
                Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
                Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
                Logitech G19 Keyboard
                Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

The Swiftech is the only kit worth buying :) You can do a little better for the same money with a custom setup, but reading up, picking stuff and making sure it all fits together takes some time, so if that's an issue the Swiftech is a great thing.

Comment

Mixed kits and 8GB is not going to happen at 1000+Mhz, you will need to use crazy voltages to do that if you even could.

I advise you try 800-950 or so, and then you may get lucky and be able to get them going, who knows with mismatched kits though.

Get us your settings for 800 or so and we can advise back

Comment

He's not mixing kits, OCZ sells the same RAM with two different heatspreaders/heatsinks, once as Reapers and once as Platinum XTC.

But even then, 1000Mhz is difficult and will not work on every board.

Comment

Headin out for work :(
                        I'll post my current settings this evening (running at 800)
                        Ran Prime95 Blend all night with no errors.
                        Although F12 Boot Menu freezes when I enter it...can't select CD to run MemTest...just locks and I have to hit the Power button...?
                        Windows seems stable though.
                        Thanks for the help guys. I'm hopin to really dive into this tonight and this weekend.

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
                        Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
                        Evga GeForce GTX 580
                        Ultra X4 1600W PSU
                        Lite On BD Burner
                        ASUS CD/DVDRW
                        Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
                        Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
                        Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
                        Logitech G19 Keyboard
                        Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

I updated to the latest BIOS (FE), loaded optimized settings and then tweaked the entries as noted below to whats been somewhat working (although there's slight hang during startup and then again as the desktop loads)

As mentioned I'd really like to be able to run the 4 2GB modules at 1066 which I was able to do with 2 2GB modules or whatever the best possible might be. :)
                          Same with OC settings in general, I can't do much until I get either another CPU or better cooling but I'd really like to get things as tight as they can be.

CPU = Intel QX6700
                          Motherboard = GA-EP45-UD3P (1.6)
                          BIOS Version = FE
                          Ram =
                          OCZ PC2-9200 Platinum 4GB Dual Channel Kit OCZ Technology
                          OCZ DDR2 PC2-9200 Reaper HPC 4GB Edition OCZ Technology

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
                          Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
                          Evga GeForce GTX 580
                          Ultra X4 1600W PSU
                          Lite On BD Burner
                          ASUS CD/DVDRW
                          Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
                          Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
                          Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
                          Logitech G19 Keyboard
                          Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Comment

1066 may not be an option, but 900-950 should be easy to get going.

Try this for what you gave above, and sorry I did not know they are the same IC chips for both kits.

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
                            Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
                            CPU Clock Ratio ..........................: 10x
                            Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................:.0
                            CPU Frequency ...........................: 2.66GHz

Clock Chip Control
                            Standard Clock Control
                            CPU Host Clock Control..................: [Disabled]
                            CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 266 Mhz
                            PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........:100

C.I.A.2 .................................:[Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control [Press Enter]
                            CPU Clock Drive...........................: <<< 800
                            PCI Express Clock Drive.................: <<< 900
                            CPU Clock Skew (ps)....................: <<< 0ps
                            MCH Clock Skew (ps)...................: <<< ops

DRAM Performance Control
                            Performance Enhance...................: [TURBO] << Standard
                            Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Disabled
                            (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: [Auto]
                            System Memory Multiplier ..............: [Auto] Choose either 2.40B or 3.20B (For 1066 attempt)
                            Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 800
                            DRAM Timing Selectable ................: [Manual]

Standard Timing Control
                            CAS Latency Time........................6 for now
                            tRCD .........................................6
                            tRP'...........................................6
                            tRAS..........................................20

Advanced Timing Control
                            tRRD...........................................4-5 for now
                            tWTR.......................................... 4-6
                            tWR............................................ 8-10
                            tRFC........................................... 72-84 for now
                            tRTP........................................... 4-5
                            Command Rate (CMD) ....................:2

Driving Strength Profiles
                            Driving Strength ............................ 1066 is likely best here, but try 800 as well if 1066 does not work

Channel A
                            Static tRead Value.........................:8-9 for now
                            tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto
                            tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                            tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                            tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                            Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                            Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                            Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                            Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                            Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                            Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Channel B
                            Static tRead Value.........................: 8-9 for now
                            tRD Phase0 Adjustment...................:Auto
                            tRD Phase1 Adjustment...................:Auto
                            tRD Phase2 Adjustment .................:Auto
                            tRD Phase3 Adjustment..................:Auto
                            Trd2rd(Different Rank)....................:Auto
                            Twr2wr(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                            Twr2rd(Different Rank)...................:Auto
                            Trd2wr(Same/Diff Rank)..................:Auto
                            Dimm1 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps
                            Dimm2 Clock Skew Control...............:Auto ps

Motherboard Voltage Control

CPU
                            CPU Vcore….……….........................:Auto (What do you get from this at idle in windows?)
                            CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: 1.225-1.25
                            CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: 1.5
                            CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: Auto

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:Auto

MCH/ICH
                            MCH Core…………….....1.100V...........: << 1.26-1.32
                            MCH Reference….…….0.760V...........; <<< [Auto]
                            MCH/DRAM Ref.…......0.900V...........: <<< [Auto]
                            ICH I/O……………….....1.500V............: <<< 1.5
                            ICH Core…………...……1.100V............: <<< 1.14

DRAM
                            DRAM Voltage ……....1.800V............: 2.00v << 2.1-2.15
                            DRAM Termination .…0.900V............: [Auto]
                            Channel A Reference 0.900V............: [Auto]
                            Channel B Reference 0.900V............: [Auto]

Comment

Mornin lsd...
                              Thx for the reply!
                              CPU-Z shows Core Voltage at 1.296 and it dips to 1.280 every few seconds.
                              I'll apply the suggested settings and leave anything not addressed on [Auto]
                              Stay tuned....

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
                              Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
                              Evga GeForce GTX 580
                              Ultra X4 1600W PSU
                              Lite On BD Burner
                              ASUS CD/DVDRW