Best Aftermark Cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Aftermark Cooler

Well I recently brought 3 different water coolers (2 top brands) one fairly cheap one and then I brought 3 air coolers. After taking about 4 days worth of test I found that with 2 120mm fans the Prolimatech beats ALL water cooling systems and others easy. average temps with Prolimatech at 4431.1MHz 38 idle 58-61 full load. Water cooling systems averaged about 40-42 idle and 67 full load at 1st thought I couldn't believe this but after reading many reviews others have had same opinions.

The fans I brought however are 4000rmp using the push pull effect. For this cooler however you will need a full size tower because with both 120mm fans its rather HUGH! and beware of certain clearances as far as memory I'm using OZC 1333mhz 7-7-7-16 1t and so far temps are stable and overclock has been solid I'm sure I can easy push 4.5Ghz on air with this cooler.

For those that want to know I"m using:

Case:

Coolmaster 932 HAF
    Prolimatech w/2 120mm fans (push pull)
    6gb OCZ 1333 Triple Channel
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    i7 930 (4431.1MHz)
    750W Corsair
    Last edited by Shauntx; 03-25-2010, 09:50 PM.

Re: Best Aftermark Cooler

i think the new noctua dual rad heatsink beats it(thats heatsink not fans),but its pretty large

Noctua NH-D14 Dual Radiator CPU Cooler (Socket LGA1366/LGA1156/LGA775/AM2/AM2) [] Cooling CPU Coolers
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) [email protected]
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Comment

ALL of those complete water cooling kits pretty much suck, the only exception being Swiftech. Corsair h50, CoolIT, Astek, Thermaltake etc. will all be outperformed by the Mega. You may see reviews claiming the H50 to be better than the Mega/TRUE, but they have to suck cold air in and blow the hot air into the case. If you were to do the same thing with a good air cooler, i.e. use the rear case fan as an intake and put the fan on the cooler on the left side of the cooler blowing towards the front of the case then you'll easily beat the H50.

You basically just need to spend $150+ on an expertly picked custom watercooling kit to beat a good air cooler.

Comment

Nope check online at reviews you will see that the Noctua came no where close to it. Feel free to look up google the reviews there are many test put up against this heatsink. Also I did try the Noctua along with Zalman Cpns10x. The Noctua did perform pretty and stayed with 1-3 degrees near the Mega however when you begin overclocking you could see that the Mega was clear a winner.
        Last edited by Shauntx; 03-25-2010, 03:34 PM.

Comment

He's taling about the newish DH14, not the old U12P. And yes, it definitely is ever so slightly better.

Comment

also you have 4000rpm fans,the noctua barely goes above 1400rpm
            Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
            Dual Boot
            Ati x1950 pro gpu
            1050w psu
            Nzxt lexa case

Comment

From what I've heard the Noctua NH-D14 is the new king of the hill and is also damn near silent. But that thing is HUGE and works awesome. I will be buying one.

Comment

the cost of the new noctua you could buy a swiftech apogee extreme cpu waterblock,and pick up a cheap 240 radiator off ebay n a decent pump,it wouldnt cost much more and youd have better cooling and it wouldnt fill your case full of heatsink
                Dual Boot
                Ati x1950 pro gpu
                1050w psu
                Nzxt lexa case

Comment

I will look for this cooler because the one I have is the older and I will test and post test within 1 week if I can get by Tuesday of next week.

Comment

Okay been looking online at reviews and so far this cooler seems to be the best, however you must remember that it comes with fans with this cooler and depending on the fans you purchase with the MEGA each will define what temps you are getting. For my setup I'm using the Delta 4000 RPM fans (don't get if you don't like the noise) but this fans are some of the best fans you can get on the market (I was thinking about cooling my apartment with one lol) But I guess it really depends on the fans you get with the OMG that they say 1200 -1600 for best performance but going higer you will see this baby push air like no other. One think I will say is that noctua seemed to take advantage of the 6 heat pipes as well (like Mega). It will be very interesting to test both of these when mine comes in next week I will test both with same RPM fans to get accurate temps.

In closing I don't think you can be wrong for getting either one of these coolers because both seem to be great and WAY ahead of the competition.

Comment

Originally posted by warren300 View Post
                      the cost of the new noctua you could buy a swiftech apogee extreme cpu waterblock,and pick up a cheap 240 radiator off ebay n a decent pump,it wouldnt cost much more and youd have better cooling and it wouldnt fill your case full of heatsink
                      Yeah very true and if you have a nice looking MB and ram then it wouldn't pay to hide it under this suitcase size cooler, but water makes me nervous cos I've never used and a little scared to try.

Comment

Originally posted by ppuff View Post
                        Yeah very true and if you have a nice looking MB and ram then it wouldn't pay to hide it under this suitcase size cooler, but water makes me nervous cos I've never used and a little scared to try.
                        ive never tried a watercooled setup either,i bought a coolit domino and the cpu hose snapped off completely as i was installing it,luckily no water went into my case,the corsair h50 is much tougher unit it has metal barbs unlike coolits plastic ones,id still go for a custom watercooled set up though there much better quality and performance
                        Dual Boot
                        Ati x1950 pro gpu
                        1050w psu
                        Nzxt lexa case

Comment

glad that you got no water in your system. That is the stuff that I'm worried about: water + expensive electronics = :(

Comment

Water cooling is great, if you have the money!

I advise if you do have the money, and want to look into water cooling, to please look around at the guides on forums such as Overclock.net or XtremeSystems.org and build your own cooling system instead of buying a "Kit"

Of course it will cost a little more, but it will look and perform so much better. You wont regret the extra $$ spent doing it the right way, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                            X