Gigabyte EP45 UD3P (rev 1.0) Not Detecting SSD/HDD In AHCI Mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabyte EP45 UD3P (rev 1.0) Not Detecting SSD/HDD In AHCI Mode

I installed Windows 7 (64bit) in October 2009 on a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 in AHCI mode on the ICH10R cont, with 2 (two) other HDDs attached, 1 x WD 640GB AAKS and 1 x 250GB Seagate 7200.10, everything ran fine since then. A few weeks ago, I replaced the 1TB Samsung F3 with an 80GB Intel X25-M G2 (with latest firmware) SSD, which also ran fine until a few days ago, when, after running Windows 7 Backup and Restore, to restore a previous (system) backup, the backup having been restored successfully, as the comp started to reboot, as the AHCI screen came up, the comp froze and would not detect the SSD, which was on the 1<SUP>st</SUP> SATA port on the Intel ICH10R cont. I powered off and eventually tried a 400GB Seagate 7200.10 on the 4<SUP>th</SUP> SATA Port (with the SSD removed from 1<SUP>st</SUP> SATA port), also still running in AHCI mode, having powered on, and the AHCI screen appeared, it detected the WD AAKS and the 250GB Seagate 7200.10 HDDs on the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> and 3<SUP>rd</SUP> SATA ports on the Intel ICH10R cont, but when it came to the 4<SUP>th</SUP> SATA port (the 400GB Seagate 7200.10, which was selected in BIOS as 1<SUP>st</SUP> HDD in Hard Disk boot Priority) once again it did not detect the HDD.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I then went into BIOS and changed the ICH10R cont to run in IDE mode and the SSD and HDDs were ALL detected and I was able to boot into Windows. To see if the SSD/HDDS would be detected in RAID mode on the ICH10R, I then went into BIOS and selected RAID mode on the ICH10R, however, when booting, on the RAID page it simply would not detect the SSD on the 1<SUP>st</SUP> SATA port (even as it had done when usning AHCI mode).<o:p></o:p>
    With the SSD/HDD not detected and frozen on the AHCI screen, the only way to get the comp functioning again was to clear CMOS.<o:p></o:p>
    This problem is occuring before Windows even starts to load, so it would appear to be some issue with the ICH10R controller, I am using the latest BIOS F10 and have Intel Rapid 9.6.0.1014 AHCI drivers installed, that enabled TRIM to function.<o:p></o:p>
    What is the possible cause of this problem?<o:p></o:p>
    I have done a Search of the Forum, but nothing on this came up.<o:p></o:p>
    It would appear to be some fault that has developed with the Intel ICH10R cont on the Gigabyte EP45 UD3P motherboard.<o:p></o:p>
    Thanks.<o:p></o:p>
    Last edited by jbloggs; 04-09-2010, 04:31 AM.

Re: Gigabyte EP45 UD3P (rev 1.0) Not Detecting SSD/HDD In AHCI Mode

So which driver do you have installed the AHCI Driver or RAID one, there is two with that package you mention and they are different?

Try making these Registry changes in IDE mode so you can access it, this will allow you to change from IDE to RAID to AHCI anytime, maybe this is the issue since you previously had it setup differently before the SSD?

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start

Comment

Thank you for your reply...

So which driver do you have installed the AHCI Driver or RAID one
      and have Intel Rapid 9.6.0.1014 AHCI drivers installed
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Msahci\Start - Was already "0"
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Pciide\Start - Was already "0"
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\servic es\iaStorV\Start - Changed from "3" to "0"

Made the above change, however, it made no difference, still hangs on AHCI and RAID screens, whichever mode of the 2 is selected...

maybe this is the issue since you previously had it setup differently before the SSD?
      When I install Windows 7 originally, I installed it on the HDD in AHCI mode, when I swapped over the HDD for the SSD, I didn't change anything (only installing Intel Rapid 9.6.0.1014 drivers) ie., I left it in AHCI mode and it worked fine, the problem is occuring before Windows load, in that the (boot) SSD/HHD is not detected and the AHCI (or RAID) screen freezes, so it would seem to be a hardware related issue, rather than drivers/Windows...

Comment

Ahh ok, thanks for clearing my thoughts up!

Have you tried clearing the CMOS yet? This may correct the issue, once you do boot into the BIOS and load optimized defaults, then save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS and set your AHCI settings and then try to load windows.

If you are not using the latest BIOS please flash to that, as that may be part of the issue as well, if you do that please use Qflash and change the "Keep DMI Data" to disabled before you flash. Then do as mentioned above with optimized after the flash is complete, ect.

Comment

Have you tried clearing the CMOS yet? This may correct the issue, once you do boot into the BIOS and load optimized defaults, then save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS and set your AHCI settings and then try to load windows.
          With the SSD/HDD not detected and frozen on the AHCI screen, the only way to get the comp functioning again was to clear CMOS.
          Once cleared, I enter BIOS and then select "Load Optimized Defaults" etc...

If you are not using the latest BIOS please flash to that, as that may be part of the issue as well, if you do that please use Qflash and change the "Keep DMI Data" to disabled before you flash. Then do as mentioned above with optimized after the flash is complete, ect.
          I have been using BIOS F10 for the last while, F10 is the latest BIOS, I also tried an earlier BIOS, F9, however, this made no difference, the problem was still persisted, so I flashed back to BIOS F10...I use QFlash for BIOS flashes, always selecting "Load Optimized Defaults" immediately after flash completed...

Comment

I am sorry, but either I am making you mad which I do not intend causing you to reply cryptically, or I am not understanding your issue possibly.

Sorry, I do not mean to make it sound like you don't know what your doing, or make it sound like I am telling you to try things you already have done. Maybe I am misunderstanding you, did none of my above comments help?

Which drive hangs now, and which port (Color and #) do you have it connected to?

Comment

Reckon I have got it sorted now...

The 80GB Intel X25-M G2 SSD was not being detected in AHCI mode...

Running HDDErase v4 on the SSD appears to have cleared the issue as the SSD is now detected by the motherboard...

Thanks.

Comment

Ahh cool to hear you fixed this problem!

Sorry again for my confusion on this topic, I just wasn't sure what fully was going on and what you had/had not done I think. Anyway, glad to hear you solved this issue!

Post back anytime

Comment

I am having the same problem. I was running Windows 7 home and just upgraded to windows 7 ultimate. I was running AHCI mode on all drives with no problems.

After installing Windows 7 ultimate I have to set the BIOS to use them as IDE, if I switch them to
                  AHCI mode the computer just hangs at the bios startup while detecting the drives.

Any help is appreciated.

I have cleared the bios many times and it lets me get back to windows but I would rather use the
                  AHCI mode. I know it works, it worked a couple of hours ago!

Comment

To use AHCI mode you need to make the above mentioned registry changes, you will need to do this in IDE mode, then shut down after you make the above changes and change the BIOS to AHCI

Comment

If I change the registry and then reboot and change the BIOS, once I change the BIOS settings back to AHCI I cannot get to the OS.

The BIOS freeses up when detecting the AHCI drives. I can't do anything. If I press the delete key to try and enter the BIOS, I can't event get there. I have to reset the BIOS to change it back to IDE so that the computer will boot.

Comment

What OS is this? If it is windows 7 or Vista then that is all you need to do if you have your OS drive in the Intel ports (Use SATA2_0).

If this is XP you can't do the above, you will need to do a clean install.

You are setting the AHCI at the top of the Integrated Peripherals list, not the bottom ones right?

Comment

I am running Windows 7 ultimate. I was running windows 7 home but wanted more features so went with ultimate. I was running ahci with no problems. I installed windows 7 ultimate and now when I set the drives to ahci in the bios I can't get past the AHCI BIOS to install or run anything.

I have to clear the BIOS by jumping the reset pins on the MB and then run the drives in IDE to reboot.

I have read other threads that refer to resetting the DMI. Does resetting the BIOS do that? Also, is there a setting somewhere in the BIOS to reset DMI?

Should I try and run a bios updater? I don't have a floppy drive.

any help is appreciated.

Comment

I updated my BIOS and now it's working!!

dunno what the problem was but I"m happy now, thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                              To use AHCI mode you need to make the above mentioned registry changes...
                              The issue has nothing to do with the Registry, or even the OS: it's a BIOS issue. Not being able to properly see the HD happens way before the OS begins to load. Unless the BIOS properly handles the hard drives nothing will work properly. Stop telling people to modify their Registry files when the computer hardware doesn't properly recognize the hardware!

(FWIW, I installed Win 7 in IDE mode, modified the registry to add AHCI mode and changed the BIOS to AHCI and the computer appeared to run fine. The it began to crash at times coming out of, or going into sleep mode. Changed everything back to IDE mode and haven't had a problem since. This is with an EP45-UD3L MB.)

Comment

Working...
                              X