• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new build won't post

Hi,

I just assembled a new build with only the following components:
    Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3
    i7 860
    G.Skill 2x2Gb DDR3 PC3-12800 ECO Series (7-8-7-24, 1.35V)
    Ati HD5450

Whenever I turn the machine on, the cpu fan spins for a moment then immediately shuts down and nothing happens. At the same time all 4 multicolor phase leds are lit. The build is not in the case yet, because I always assemble my builds on the desk. I have already tried the following each time getting the exact same (non)result (cpu fan spins only for a moment and nothing else happens):
    - no graphics card
    - only 1 ram stick (both independently in slots 1 & 3)
    - no ram at all
    - 2 different psu's (enermax & antec, both with the additional 8 pin power connector)

I don't have another 1156 mobo, cpu or more ddr3 ram sticks at hand, so at least for the time being I can't independently verify these to see if there's a problem with one of the components. I haven't noticed any diagnostic beeps or other signals from the mobo - does it have any? Any and all advice/help is most welcome.
    Last edited by tweekTek; 06-15-2010, 08:21 PM. Reason: improved title

Re: new build won't post

With your system turned off, switch the psu off, then press and hold the front panel on/off switch for at least 15 seconds.
    Jumper the CLR_CMOS pins for at least 20 minutes.
    Remove the jumper and try booting with a minimal hardware setup: ps2 keyboard, one memory module, and graphics card only.
    Make sure that your mobo is NOT on a conductive surface (i.e. not resting on the mobo's anti-static bag.
    You might need to remove the cpu and inspect the cpu socket for possible bent pins and signs that the cpu contacts are making good contact.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

Also make sure your heatsink back plate is not causing a short, and be sure you have the memory in the correct slots (White ones)

It could be the 1.35 memory, not sure as I have not tested any myself yet but maybe the board wont start with them because it is trying to use 1.5V default. If that is the case, and again not sure, you would need a different stick of memory so you could get in the BIOS and change the voltage.

Clearing CMOS as mentioned above would be the first thing to try.

Comment

thanks for the advice. while i was waiting for a reply i was trying some more stuff (among other things i removed the cmos battery for a few minutes which might have been what brought it to life) though and i managed to boot successfully :) the cpu fan still stops spinning immediately after turning on the power, but then after a few seconds it starts spinning again and the system boots. is this normal?

this also happens whenever i restart the machine (with ctrl-alt-del from the command line or when i restart my windows pe that i run from cd). again the cpu fan stops spinning, the system looks as if it's turned off for a while, then it starts normally. i never noticed such behaviour with my older non 1156 systems so it seems weird to me, that the fan would turn off on a reboot. haven't yet tried if hdd's turn off also, because i haven't yet connected a hdd to the system (hdd is always the last thing i connect after all the tests have passed).

Comment

Yes that is normal for now until you get things going.

Load optimized defaults, then save/apply and reboot back to the BIOS then make any changes you need to such as SATA Settings, memory voltage, ect.

When you reboot the system will shut down partially and then restart, so what you are seeing sounds normal to me unless I am not understanding you right. We can help you with settings if it turns out to be an issues you are seeing instead of something normal, don't worry.

Glad you got it going!

Comment

i've loaded optimized defaults, restarted and everything seemed perfectly fine. the cpu fan would not stop anymore on reboots and i could make my changes in bios. no oc or anything of the sort, as i'm not even planning on overclocking this build, just enabling/disabling features & peripherics as needed. i noticed that on optimized defaults my ram was running on 1333mhz @ 1.584v which i obviously wasn't happy with, so i changed the xmp setting in "advanced memory setting" to profile1 from the default disabled. after a successful reboot bios would now show that ram was at 1600mhz / 1.440v (when choosing profile 1 in "advanced memory settings" the voltage shown there changes to 1.350, but the actual voltage shown in the mit page after a reboot was 1.440v), so i decided to change the dram voltage in "advanced voltage settings" where everything was set to auto. i first tried changing it to 1.400 but there was no change at all - still 1.440v in mit. so i then changed it one further step down to 1.300v, but upon restarting, the cpu fan stopped again for a few seconds and when the system woke up, i received an error warning about possible incorrect settings while overclocking.

i've since reloaded optimized defaults, but now the cpu fan again stops on each reboot (no matter if i enter in bios or not) and every time i try selecting xmp profile1 as before, i get the oc error warning, even though i'm not touching the advanced voltage settings anymore. how come xmp profile1 worked flawlessly the first time i chose it, but now i get the oc error every time? and how come the cpu fan is again stopping after every reboot on optimized defaults, even though it didn't for several reboots after i first loaded them.

i printed out a few bios settings in case it helps:

1. mit infoafter turning off the pc and i was a bit surprised that the small cooler on the chipset near the pci slots (that's the pch right?) was so hot to the touch that i couldn't keep my finger on it for more than a few seconds. same thing with the passive cooler on the 5450 (i bought this one specifically because it's supposed to be very power efficient). the ram chips were quite warm and so was to my greatest surprise the very top end of the mobo (i moved it a bit by grabbing the bottom & top side and felt the warmth). the other edges of the mobo were above room temperature also, but the top one was substantially warmer which i really wasn't expecting (normally the chips & electrolytes get warm, but the board itself on the edges no less?).

2. advanced memory settings:
            xmp: disabled (default) / profile1 (my setting)
            freq: 1333 (default) / 1600 (on profile1)
            ddr voltage: 1.5v (default) / 1.35v (on profile1)
            qpi: 1.1v / 1.1v
            performance: turbo

3. advanced freq settings:
            xmp: disabled (default) / profile1 (my setting)
            cpu clock drive: 900mv
            pcie clock drive: 900mv
            clock skew: 0ps

4. advanced voltage settings: (everything not listed on auto)
            dram: 1.500v (default setting) / 1.400v (my first attempt to get from 1.44 to 1.35 that had no effect on the voltage at all) / 1.300 (my second attempt that resulted in oc error warning and repeated problems since)

ps. i'm now charging my camera to take pics of bios settings later if necessary

Comment

since the last post i removed the cmos battery yet again and reloaded optimized defaults. after a reboot i was again able to choose xmp profile1 to get the ram running at 1600 mhz / 1.440v (same as previously on the profile1 setting). further reboots went smooth with the cpu fan never turning off as one would expect. i then ran memtest+ and left it running for 1 and a half passes with no reported errors. BUT after rebooting from within memtest the cpu fan again stopped for a few seconds and upon entering into the mit section of the bios i again got the following oc warning:
              system has experienced boot failures because of overclocking or changes of voltages.
              last setting in this page may not coincide with current h/w states
              so i reloaded optimized defaults yet again, rebooted, and the cpu fan is again stopping on every reboot. i then selected xmp profile1 and upon rebooting got the same oc warning now even before entering the bios, so i'm again where i was before i removed the cmos battery - can't set xmp profile1, fan stops spinning for a few seconds on reboot.

the exact sequence on a reboot goes like this:
              1. system is running, cpu fan spins, all 4 phase leds are on if in bios. if gone beyond that with some os running, the leds are off.
              2. i initiate a reboot (either with ctrl-alt-del, or by exiting bios) and the monitor goes black (then to sleep), while the phase leds and the fan are still on
              3. after a moment leds and fan turn off
              4. leds turn on and stay on, fan spins only very briefly then stops for a couple of seconds while nothing seems to happen
              5. fan starts spinning again, system & monitor wake up

Comment

are you using the latest bios for that mb?? if not i would update it first through the bios and q-flash
                Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

as stated earlier (guess i overwhelmed the thread with information ;) ) my current bios is f2, while the latest is f7. i also asked already whether i should update and if so, to which version. my mobo is revision 1 and f7 is the first one for revision 2, but there is no mention on the page whether it is for rev2 only, which would make f6 the latest for my mobo. f7 is listed with all the previous versions, so i would assume it's for rev 1 also, but i'd like to be sure before further complicating the situation. here's the bios dl link i'm looking at: GA-H55M-USB3 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE

Comment

Yes, please do go ahead and update your BIOS.

Please DO NOT USE @BIOS, use Qflash or DOS, here is a guide

I would use F7, looks like it is for Rev. 1 + 2 as I see it posted on 2 other Rev. one pages, this is normal for some models so you should be fine

GA-H55M-USB3 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE

GA-H55M-USB3 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS

Comment

well its says for your board,i think it means that f7 was first released for rev 2 but its now for rev 1,i would strongly advise to update to f7 before you touch anything in the bios as the sleep/resume problems and ram xmp problems might be fixed in the updated bios

GA-H55M-USB3 (rev. 1.0) - GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS
                      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

i now updated to f7 from a usb key using qflash. before i got qflash to register the usb key, i had to reboot a few times (i figured out that i had to run it from the bios, or it would say there's no drive connected) and on those reboots the cpu fan didn't stop. on the reboot immediately after the flash and all the subsequent ones i did since, the fan is again stopping (not that this fan stopping is a very big problem in itself, it's just that it's an easily spotted visual sign of the problem). and again if i set xmp to profile1 i'm greeted with the overclocking warning upon the reboot, so in essence nothing's changed after the bios update.

Comment

whats it exactly doing? is it booting up then fan stops then reboots and fan doesnt stop? is it double booting? as for xmp your better off setting the ram manually,the timings dram voltage to 1.5 or 1.66 nd qpi/vtt voltage to 1.2 and set system performance enhance to standard
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                            is it booting up then fan stops then reboots and fan doesnt stop?
                            something like this yeah. when i turn the computer on, the 4 phase leds turn on, the fan spins for just a moment (as if you'd turn its power on/off quickly), after cca 2 seconds it starts spinning again and then keeps on going (power led on the case flashes for a while during this time before settling down). the 4 phase leds turn off once the bios & sata info pages are done displaying - this behaviour is normal i presume.

same thing happens on a warm reboot, except that first both the phase leds & the cpu fan turn off.

this is the ram i have: G.Skill Pi DDR3-2200 and Eco DDR3-1600 - ECO Series DDR3-1600
                            what settings should i manually set and to what values? there's a lot of them and i was hoping the board would pick up the right ones by reading the ram's profile.

Comment

ok go in bios in the m.i.t section and set the spd system mutliplier to manual and raise the memory multiplier to give you 1600mhz ram speed,then go in timings and select quick and type in slightly looser timings of 8-8-8-24,set the dram voltage to 1.35 or 1.4000v,set system performance enhance to standard and then set qpi/vtt voltage to 1.2v and then try
                              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
                              X