GA-EP31-DS3L wont start after installing new RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EP31-DS3L wont start after installing new RAM

Hi thx for reading my thread. As stated, my GA-EP31-DS3L motherboard wont start after i removed all the RAMS including the 1st one at the yellow slot & replace 2 of them with new 2G Kingston RAM. First i put the 1st new RAM into the 1st slot ( yellow ) & 3 slot ( yellow ).
    Then i switched on my power & press on to boot it.

But my computer wont start, it did light up the motherboard LED & then it switched off.

Anyone can help me with solutions?

Re: GA-EP31-DS3L wont start after installing new RAM

Please try clearing the CMOS using the method outlined here in post 3@

Comment

Thx for replying, i reset my CMOS, but my mobo start, but it didnt go to bios setup window. My screen stay black until i turn off the power supply.

To do bios flash, it need the bios screen setup rite?

Comment

Yes you would need to be able to get into the BIOS or Qflash.

Put back in your other memory and do the BIOS update with it, then switch memory and clear the CMOS again.

1. Put in old memory
        2. Flash latest BIOS
        3. Remove old memory and Clear CMOS
        4. Put in new memory and start the board (Hopefully)
        5. Load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot F10 BACK to the BIOS.
        6. Set your ram voltage and all other settings you need to set back such as SATA/Disk settings, overclock, ect

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          Yes you would need to be able to get into the BIOS or Qflash.

Put back in your other memory and do the BIOS update with it, then switch memory and clear the CMOS again.

1. Put in old memory
          2. Flash latest BIOS

3. Remove old memory and Clear CMOS
          4. Put in new memory and start the board (Hopefully)
          5. Load optimized defaults and save/apply/reboot F10 BACK to the BIOS.
          6. Set your ram voltage and all other settings you need to set back such as SATA/Disk settings, overclock, ect
          For 1 & 2, i cant do it, since my computer wont start at all before i reset CMOS ( with RAM in the slot ).
          But after i reset CMOS ( with RAM in the slot ), motherboard start up but didnt go to start-up screen.
          Now i resetting CMOS without RAM in the slot. Did i do anything wrong?

Comment

Sorry I am a bit unclear on what you mean.

So it now will not start with the old ram either?

Be sure you unplug your PSU from the wall when you clear CMOS and press and hold the case power button for one minute before you clear the CMOS, this will ensure it gets cleared

Comment

Thx for helping me out here~

Ok i will try it now. but if the problem still persist, what could be damaged? my motherboard? RAM?

Comment

I think it's just your settings or the current BIOS not compatible with this new memory.

You never had issues with the old memory right? If not then it should work fine still so you can update the BIOS

Comment

I never has any issue with my older RAM, but when i bought the new RAM, i give my older RAM to my 2nd brother & put in his pc as additional RAM's. He removed his old RAM's & replace it with older RAM's, same thing happen to him. But after that i remove back my older RAM's & put back his old RAM's, his computer works fine.

Will it give any issues when i take back my old RAM's & put it back in my mobo?
                  Last edited by faridfauzi; 06-20-2010, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Ahh cool, no you will be fine. Just tell your brother you need it for a few minutes is all, hopefully :)

Then put it back in your system and try again, then update the BIOS and try the new ram. While you are at it, have your brother test your new ram in his PC to see if it works, if not it might be faulty

Comment

I did ask my brother for my old RAM back. And just now i reset my CMOS by removing the battery while pressing the power button for ~ 1minutes and leave is like that for 20 minutes. And then i put back my cmos battery.

Still have the same problem. The mobo start, but no video is display on my monitor.

Usually the phase led will light up when we start the computer, but mine doesnt. Usually it does light up the phase led.

If we want to reset CMOS, is it with the RAM inserted into the RAMS slot on the mobo @ without RAM in RAM slot on the mobo?

Comment

With or without the ram in the board will work, it does not matter.

Did you try to update the BIOS with @BIOS when you installed your new memory, or did you just take out the old and put in the new?

Check all cables and be sure none are knocked loose, such as Motherboard 4 Pin and 24 Pin, and GFX card power cable if your card has one.

Also test your card in his PC as well to make sure it is ok. Switching memory shouldn't have done this, so I think you might have a cable loose or something else wrong

Comment

Before this problem start, i just pull out my old RAM & put in new RAM without touching BIOS & start my computer. I will check for loose cable.
                          From your opinion, did my motherboard broken?

Comment

Ok thanks for letting us know.

No, it just sounds to me like you maybe have a short or loose cable somewhere?

Are you sure the old memory (And new when using) is fully secured into the memory slots, sometimes you have to press much harder than you would expect in order for it to snap in and allow you to close the top/bottom clips.

Comment

I checked the RAM I inserted: Tighten & secure on mobo
                              I checked any loose cable : None
                              I also try my PSU at brother computer: Working fine

How do u check for short circuit cable?

I think my mobo is broken

Comment

Working...
                              X