GA-P55-USB3 Turbo Boost Oddity.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P55-USB3 Turbo Boost Oddity.

Hello all I recently purchased a i5 750 coupled with a GA-P55-USB3 and so far so good. I have noticed somenthing strange about the operation of Intel turbo boost though.

I run everything on stock settings because I plan on keeping this rig for awhile.
    I noticed if I run any app 3d or not such as Prime95 the multiplier switches between 21x-24x which is good I can see turbo boost working. Now I ran Intel Burn Test v2.4 just to test my Gflops rating and to monitor my max load temps (50c BTW via RealTemp ) and noticed the multiplier drop down to 20x .

So I did some reading and testing and found out if I take my vcore off auto and set it to normal it keeps the multiplier at 21x during IBT. But if I set the vcore back to Auto it drops the multiplier to 20x on IBT. I have not witnessed this behavior with any other app Prime 95 or OCCT keep it at 21x with 4 cores in use with vcore on Auto.

Now my question is this a safety feature of gigabyte boards or is this a bug with turbo boost.

FYI I have tried bios F5 and the latest beta bios f6a and they both show the same behavior.

Re: GA-P55-USB3 Turbo Boost Oddity.

Did you test Auto vs manual Vcore Vs normal settings?

Sorry, not sure as I have not used P55 myself

Comment

I have not tested Auto vs Manual Vcore only Auto vs Normal Vcore setting. My bios reads between 1.2125-1.225 in the bios in the advanced voltage vcore setting for normal. Is it normal for the vcore to be fluctuating the normal vcore in the bios under advanced voltage control?

Comment

Are you looking at this voltage in PC health section, how about in windows at idle and load with CPU-z?

I have not used normal values for anything so not sure, if you are overclocking it is best you set this manually

Comment

I was looking at the voltage under the advanced voltage control page under MIT settings page. I tested IBT with a manual voltage of 1.2125 and the multi did not drop to 20x it only seems to do it with auto voltage selected. I am starting to think setting the vcore to Auto keeps Intel TDP limits into play when it comes to turbo boost. It might throttle the cpu to 20x during IBT to keep the processor under the 95W limit.

Comment

Ya it probably does, if you want to keep turbo going then it's best to find and set your own voltages then.

Comment

Working...
            X