EX58-UD4P not finding OS hard drive when ACHI is enabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EX58-UD4P not finding OS hard drive when ACHI is enabled

What do you mean you'd hate to format it after getting it running? Is it running now, with that drive? If so then problem solved right? If not then I would go ahead with Killdisk myself, then set drive active and try again

Yes BCD rebuild is only needed if you still have windows 7 installed, wasn't sure if you formatted it off there or not is why I suggested that.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
      What do you mean you'd hate to format it after getting it running? Is it running now, with that drive? If so then problem solved right? If not then I would go ahead with Killdisk myself, then set drive active and try again

Yes BCD rebuild is only needed if you still have windows 7 installed, wasn't sure if you formatted it off there or not is why I suggested that.
      Yes it is running in IDE mode as of right now, but I would like to take advantage of hotplugging that ACHI offers. I thought stated that in the first posts, if not I apologize.

At any rate, I found some others on with the same problem. One article here :

SATA driver issue w/ Win 7 and Gigabyte GA-MA785G-UD3H - Windows 7 Forums

reported the same problem. Different motherboard obviously but same problem. I do have the USB headers connected, but right now I have to run to work so I'll try that later.

Comment

You won't get "Safely Remove" on the Intel ports anyway, it would have to be done via uninstall device in device manager.

So if you only need AHCI for that and are not concerned about any possible speed improvements AHCI brings, then you can leave it in IDE mode and use device manager to swap drives when needed.

Comment

Not to drag up an old topic, but I think I fixed my problem with the hard drives not be found by the bios when booting. I removed the connections to the USB headers on the motherboard, changed the bios setting to AHCI and it booted like a charm. I did have a USB card reader that was connected the USB header, so I wonder if the reader was causing the problem or just a random event that got it working. So if anyone else has this problem maybe it can be fixed by disconnecting the USB headers and see if that fixes the problem. (Of course I had to enable AHCI in the registry before Windows 7 would boot correctly, but that was an easy fix.)

The other question I would have is why this caused the problem in the first place?

Thanks for the help all

Comment

Nice to see you solved this!

Ya, sounds like that card reader may have been causing some strange compatibility issues, plug it back in and test if you don't mind.

Then if you do find the same issues please report it to Gigabyte when you have a second, that way they will at least be aware and can try to address the issue if that is possible on their end.

Comment

I haven't plugged it back in, mostly due to the fact that I would have to remove the video card to get my beefy hands to plug it back it and I really don't feel like doing that. But when I get a chance I will.

Comment

Ya whenever you get time or feel like messing with it please do, it would be great to know so we could let everyone know.

Comment

Working...
                X