Easy Tune reporting way high DRAM voltage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy Tune reporting way high DRAM voltage

I was looking at ET for another reason and noticed that it said my DRAM was running at 1.616V. I immmediatly rebooted to get to the BIOS because it should not be over 1.5V.

BIOS reports the settings as they should be 1.5V. IS ET simply wrong or have I got a problem somewhere?
    Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
    i7 3770
    2 X 8GB F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL DDR3 1600 1.5V GSkill Ripjaws
    Integrated graphics
    Seasonic Platinum 760W
    be quite! Dark Rock Pro 2
    Fractal Define XL R2 case
    Win 8.1 64 Pro

Re: Easy Tune reporting way high DRAM voltage

Are you overclocking anything or with stock settings?
    Which ram model exactly do you use?

Comment

if you set it to auto these overclocking programs can do harmFor instance asus turbo v if you overclock higher it will take cpu vcore to 2.1 and destroy the chip, ive seen it happen before. . I manually set my voltages.

Comment

It does appear to have been Easy Tune. I uninstalled it.

That is a bad thing for it to do. It is 1.5V RAM. I had assumed it was smart. How does it decide what settings to use?
        Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
        i7 3770
        Integrated graphics
        Seasonic Platinum 760W
        Win 8.1 64 Pro

Comment

was it an old version of easytune? if you set dram voltage to 1.5v in the bios then easytune should display that unless you altered the voltage in easytune and saved it as a profile?
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Have you checked PC Health Status to see it is wrong?

Comment

It was the current easy Tune. It is gone.

I will try manually setting things for overclock.
              Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
              i7 3770
              Integrated graphics
              Seasonic Platinum 760W
              Win 8.1 64 Pro

Comment

Software is never 100% accurate. Then again, neither are BIOS readings. If you have a multimeter and know where the DIMM voltage readout is on your board, I would do that.

1.5v isn't the MAX, it's 1.65v (or 1.66v before Vdrop).

Comment

The Max VDIMM is whatever the DIMMs are rated at, and in this case it is 1.5V: G.SKILL-Products

If you use ET6 to over clock, of course it will raise voltages. In essence it's going to raise Bclk values to achieve its OC, therefore running the RAM beyond DDR-1600, which will either require more voltage or simply fail.

Having said that, running 1.5V RAM at 1.61V isn't exactly dangerous.
                  Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                  Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                  P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                  Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                  TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                  2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                  2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                  Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                  Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                  WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                  Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                  Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                  3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                  Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

i would clear the cmos,load optimised defaults and re-enter your bios/oc settings,then re-install easytune and see if it shows correct dram voltage
                    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

I am finished with ET.
                      Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
                      i7 3770
                      Integrated graphics
                      Seasonic Platinum 760W
                      Win 8.1 64 Pro

Comment

No one asked this or mentioned it, but i doubt it was Easytune at all because it does not make ANY changes unless you specifically tell it to.

Were you setting your own voltage manually? If not, and you were using Auto, then it's the board/BIOS setting the voltage - not Easytune. Easytune is just a reporting/monitoring tool, until you make changes.

Easytune only shows one actual voltage for your memory, well two, but one shows actual applied amount, and one shows actual set value in the BIOS (By you or auto)

Also, another thing to note is in the BIOS any setting value you see on the left side of the page can be ignored as it may or may not be used, may be a past setting, or may only be used at the current time.
                        This doesn't apply to the PC health section, that will show actual applied amount, same as below, set by you manually or the use of Auto.

Actual applied amount (In use/realtime software reading)

Actual Set amount (In the BIOS via manual or auto)

And just to put your mind at ease, the 1.5V rating on the specs of your memory is the warrantied amount only. That does not mean more will hurt it at all, in fact all DDR3 must withstand 1.8V before damage occurs in order to remain inline with JEDEC DDR3 specifications.
                        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 10-04-2010, 01:47 AM.

Comment

I was using the big overclocking buttons. I am trying to set up the bios manually almost as we speak.

However ET could make that easier by letting me do some "what ifs". But I really don't understand the mechanisms underlying what ET does.

Let me state some of my assumptions and see if they make any sense.
                          - I believe ET does not change the bios settings directly. What is the actual mechanism. Is there a Windows interface it uses to control these settings?
                          - If I have things like DRAM voltage set to manual, the system would not raise it when I do something with ET that does not specifically address that voltage.
                          - Changes take place immediately when you change things in ET and if saved are loaded each time the PC boots with ET enabled.
                          Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
                          i7 3770
                          Integrated graphics
                          Seasonic Platinum 760W
                          Win 8.1 64 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by alternety View Post
                            I was using the big overclocking buttons. I am trying to set up the bios manually almost as we speak.

However ET could make that easier by letting me do some "what ifs". But I really don't understand the mechanisms underlying what ET does.

Let me state some of my assumptions and see if they make any sense.
                            - I believe ET does not change the bios settings directly. What is the actual mechanism. Is there a Windows interface it uses to control these settings?
                            - If I have things like DRAM voltage set to manual, the system would not raise it when I do something with ET that does not specifically address that voltage.
                            - Changes take place immediately when you change things in ET and if saved are loaded each time the PC boots with ET enabled.
                            as for your first statement im not sure exactly. I think it does but not really... Im not positive on this.
                            If you set voltages manually in bios ET should show you those exact settings under Tuner - Advanced in the left column.
                            Changes only take place in ET when you click the Blue circle button that says set. If you click save those changes will keep happening every time you start windows (Not sure if its when windows starts or when ET starts these changes are applied.)

ET is good for if you forget what settings you set in the bios of a given overclock and you want to refer back to them.
                            The other thing its good for if you are right on the edge of the line of being stable and you need to make a minor tweak. Example you ran your stress test and it failed with out BSOD and you know/think if you raised vcore one notch to pass you can make that change in ET click set rerun your stess test have it pass then go back into bios and make that actually change that was needed to get you stable.
                            Main Rig
                            Gigabyte z87x-OC
                            Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                            G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                            Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                            Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                            HiS ATI HD 6950
                            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                            Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                            Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                            Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                            CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                            Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                            EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                            Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                            Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

your far better getting used to the bios and setting/oc there,easytune just good for monitoring stuff and tweaking stuff but you should always overclock and set voltages in the bios,easytune wont change any other setting if you dont use the big preset oc buttons like the red/yellow/green,in the voltage section you can set any voltage for any component without it changing the other voltages/settings

just dont use the quickboost buttons as they will alter cpu/qpi and dram voltages which will always be more than spec
                              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
                              X