USB 3 HDD messing up sleep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 3 HDD messing up sleep

I purchased a Seagate GoFlex 2TB USB3 HDD and when plugged in to a USB 3 port and sleep is activated the computer would wake itself after 4 seconds of going to sleep with reason "unknown". From this point on the USB3 HDD would not be detected by windows. Additional sleep/wake cycles would not make the hdd work. Unplugging/replugging the HDD would make it work again, but the next sleep cycle would lose the drive again.

I have the Gigabyte H55M-USB3 BIOS F11, and I was running the NEC usb 3.0 driver 1.0.17.0 then upgraded to Renesas Electronics 2.0.30.0 driver from Gigabyte but the problem persisted.

I tracked the issue down to two BIOS settings:
    "USB Legacy Function"
    "USB Storage Function"

If these bios setting are disabled, the sleep work fine (doesn't self wake after 4 seconds) with the USB 3.0 HDD attached and the HDD works after resume.

BTW - The HDD works fine on a USB2.0 port no matter what the BIOS settings for "USB Legacy Function" and "USB Storage Function" are.

This is an issue because I can't use the USB keyboard in DOS utilities and can't boot from USB storage devices.

Has Gigabyte tested Sleep with USB 3.0 HDD connected? Can these settings be separated for USB2.0 and USB3.0? I don't need legacy support on the USB3.0 ports.

Re: USB 3 HDD messing up sleep

Can you, or have you already, disable that device from being able to wake the system from sleep? You should be able to in the properties of the device from device manager.

Those settings are fine to leave disabled, and with some devices you have to actually, but I do see your predicament.

There is a hidden BIOS setting dealing with wake from sleep via USB, you can test disabling that as it may fix this issue. On the MAIN Screen of the BIOS press Control + F1, the screen will flash, then go into the BIOS Power page and you should see the wake from USB Sleep option, disable it and test.

Comment

There are no "allow device to wake computer" type settings for the USB 3.0 controller, USB3.0 hub, or the external USB3 HDD.

I need USB to be able to wake the computer as that is how the Mediacenter IR remote receiver wakes the computer.

If it helps Gigabyte fix this issue I can do the test. But I don't see how it would help them.

Gigabyte needs to test this issue ASAP.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

Comment

You should find power management settings for the USB3 controller in device manager in a few places, are you not? I see them as shown below

Mine is greyed out because I have sleep disabled I believe, you should be able to check or uncheck this since you are using sleep.

Please send in a report and see if they will test a few USB3 storage devices. Include your full hardware specs too so they can try to replicate the issue
        GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

You can check what devices can wake the system using the command powercfg -DEVICEQUERY wake_armed from a command prompt, and then from there you can probably disable the device as well via powercfg -devicedisablewake "device exact name show in previous output here" (Quotes required)

Here is more info on all of the powercfg options and how to use them

How to Troubleshoot a Vista or Windows 7 Sleep Mode Problem This will show you some steps to help you troubleshoot and find out what is causing your sleep mode problem. These are the usual reasons for sleep mode problems. For more information, see: Windows Help and How-to: Turn Off a Computer...
        Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 02-21-2011, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Mine Renesas USB devices don't have the Power Management tab like yours. Are you running 32 bit? My USB 2.0 Hubs have that tab, but the "Allow this device to wake the computer" is grey out and I have sleep enabled obviously.

I am running Windows 7 Home Prem. 64bit:

Here are the spec I submitted to Gigabytes support site (SN removed):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Model Name : GA-H55M-USB3(rev. 2.0)
          --------------------------
          M/B Rev : 2.0
          BIOS Ver : F11
          Serial No. :
          Purchase Dealer : Newegg
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          VGA Brand : Intel Model : On board Video
          CPU Brand : Intel Model : Intel Core i3-530 Speed : 2.93Ghz
          Operation System : Win 7 64-bit SP :
          Memory Brand : Mushkin Type : DDR3
          Memory Size : 8GB Speed : PC3-10666
          Power Supply : 380 W

Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
            You can check what devices can wake the system using the command powercfg -DEVICEQUERY wake_armed from a command prompt, and then from there you can probably disable the device as well via powercfg -devicedisablewake "device exact name show in previous output here" (Quotes required)

Here is more info on all of the powercfg options and how to use them
            PowerCFG unleashed
            Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums
            I am very familiar with powercfg. I can't disable the device that is waking the computer because windows doesn't know what device is waking the computer (the log is unknown device.) I have already used powercfg to allow my computer to sleep with disk shares open and other stuff.

c:\>powercfg -DEVICEQUERY wake_armed
            eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)
            Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Keyboard (IntelliType Pro)
            Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
            Microsoft USB Dual Receiver Wireless Mouse (IntelliPoint)

You can see from the device list it is just the needed devices on USB2.0 Mouse, Keyboard, IR rcv, and my NIC for wake on lan.

Thanks again for your replies!
            Last edited by WhatHappend; 02-21-2011, 04:29 AM. Reason: add device list for wake_armed

Comment

I'm running x64.

You should also give Gigabyte the full specs on the device you are having issue with too.

You can try this and see if it helps, but you will need to be using the latest driver and firmware, in the start menu go to Programs, Renesas and open the utility shown below, then test checking the power management box and reboot then test sleep

You may not have the same tab I do because of using and older firmware or driver, could also explain the powercfg oddities?

Here is the latest of each

Firmware 3027

Driver 2.0.32.0

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
                I'm running x64.

You should also give Gigabyte the full specs on the device you are having issue with too.

You can try this and see if it helps, but you will need to be using the latest driver and firmware, in the start menu go to Programs, Renesas and open the utility shown below, then test checking the power management box and reboot then test sleep

You may not have the same tab I do because of using and older firmware or driver, could also explain the powercfg oddities?

Here is the latest of each

Firmware 3027

Driver 2.0.32.0
                I updated to the latest Firmware and BIOS and it is no different. Hope Gigabyte approves of these versions since they were not on their download page. Do you know why the driver for USB3 changed from NEC to Renesas (a company I have never heard of)?

I had the exact same version as you have 2.0.30.0 and FW 3025 and don't have the power tab like yours. The update didn't add the tab either.

I provided the USB 3.0 HDD make, model and name in the OP and on the ticket to Gigabyte, is there more information they need like FW of the drive?

Thanks for your help. I didn't know that the motherboard devices had FW outside of the BIOS updates.

Comment

They approve, they just don't always post each of the latest updates for various reasons (Testing time required, no noted improvements, no time to mess around, ect)

I have the power tab on the old version too (3025), as you can see from the above image. I'm setting up a test system now on this board, I can't test USB3 hard drives but I can verify the drivers show the same for you.

You may need to uninstall it fully, then reboot, then install the latest driver again.

NEC & Renesas are the same company now that is why.

Yeap, Marvell 6Gb/s and USB3 FW can be updated outside of the BIOS, and I don't think USB3 is ever updated within the BIOS actually.

I'll post back with some images from H55N-USB3... Ahhh! I just realized I only have the N not M version, so my test may not help much :( The above image was from X58A-UD7

Comment

OK, I didn't even update the firmware on this board ever, it is the old/shipped version. I don't think the board models matter either, all the Gigabyte USB3 boards I have here offer this option.

So I think you should try to uninstall the drivers and reboot then reinstall, the driver is what gives you the power tab anyway.

Since you mentioned NEC I think that may be the issue, if you were using NEC before?

I've never installed NEC on any of the USB3 boards I have here, always Renesas since Gigabyte first came out with USB3 boards, so this may be part of the problem - at least with the power tab option anyway.

Comment

I removed the Renesas drivers and utilities and rebooted and re-installed and I still have no power options for Renesas devices. I don't know why?

Thanks for your help.

Maybe you can answer my other issue with this motherboard: http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...s-up-bios.html

Comment

I just noticed that in your device manager you have 2 sets of 3 Renesas devices (Host Controller, Root Hub, Hub), where I only have one set and it is Host Controller and Root Hub. If the power options are only on your Hub, then that is the device my MB doesn't even have. Maybe you have more USB3 ports on your MB. My MB only has 2 USB3 ports.

Does your MB have all USB3 ports or maybe 8 of them?

Comment

I found out some more information. If I remove my Ceton InfiniTV 4 tuner card, the USB 3.0 sleep works fine. The devices (USB 3.0 controller and Ceton tuner) don't show any conflicts in the device manager but don't seem to work together.

I built the HTPC just for this tuner card and there is no other card available that is anything like it. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to resolve issues like this? Which device is causing the issue?

For now I have disabled the USB3.0 controller in the BIOS to prevent contention.
                          Last edited by WhatHappend; 03-21-2011, 10:31 PM.

Comment

It must be some incompatibility issue with that card and the board?

Best you can do is contact GIGABYTE directly, let them know the exact issue and hardware specs, and see if they can get one of those cards for testing and correct the issue
                            GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

If you are not using USB3 anyway, then you can just leave it disabled and that will be fine.

Comment

I have submitted the information to Gigabyte. I do need USB3 for faster backups to the USB3 external HDD I bought.

I have found 2 USB drivers that the tuner card installs that if removed fixes the issue. I have contacted Ceton about what these drivers are for and in what conditions they are needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X