Maddening malevolent DDR3!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maddening malevolent DDR3!

In mid-August I put my GA-X58A-UD3R together with an i7-930 and 3X2GB Mushkin Redline memory. Soon I noticed BSOD’s every few days, sometimes multiple times the same day. Memory testing pretty quickly identified one module that always failed, so I RMA’d that one piece.

The box was much better, but not perfect. Every several days Windows 7 Explorer would quit and restart, the logs would fill up with strange errors, applications such as Photoshop would blow up, the box would not always resume from sleep, etc. I tried all sorts of BIOS settings, ran at stock, OC’ed, ran memory at 1066 or the rated 1600, and none of that seemed to matter. CPU tests always passed. Memory tests almost always passed, and when they didn't, a simple restart fixed the error.

Then I started to run memtest86+ at every boot, and every 5th to 10th boot would post but then shower my monitor with memory errors. What was INTERMITTENTLY bad? Another memory module? My CPU? The X58A? Another controller chip? My power supply? A random capacitor or other component? Where do I start?

I heard, true or not, that Gigabyte would replace a board on the second RMA, and I was thinking the problem was likely there, so I sent the GA-X58A-UD3R back expecting them to return it but setting up the process to send it in a second time for replacement. Of course, they did return it saying it passed their 24 hour test which really annoyed me since it often worked for me for 24 hours, just not EVERY 24 hours, but that’s what I expected they would do, at least the first time.

Since the box was going to be down, I also sent the memory back to Mushkin also asking them to replace it. Unlike GB, they did. They sent three new modules. So I reassembled the box dreading what I would find, and I started with CPU stock timings but memory at XMP 1600 MHz, its rated speed. After two weeks I’d still to experience a failure, so I bumped BCLK up to 160 and reduced the memory multiplier to hold it at 1600. That was three weeks ago, and still no failures.

I’m not going to get over-confident, but it’s starting to look like (at least) two of my original three memory modules were bad – one blatantly so, and the other very subtly and very annoying intermittently so. I’ve built 10 or more systems over the years, and I’ve never had any grief at all, certainly not like this box. I hope this is fixed, and I hope the next time will be smoother!
    Last edited by jdvoracek; 02-20-2011, 08:59 AM.

Re: Maddening malevolent DDR3!

You should always return the whole set of ram,even of just one stick is faulty as they are a matched set,did you set qpi/vtt voltage and uncore freq manually?
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
      You should always return the whole set of ram,even of just one stick is faulty as they are a matched set,did you set qpi/vtt voltage and uncore freq manually?
      I think there are two take-home messages. First, and the one I meant to make, a memory or any other component failure can be intermittent. Second, and the one you make, is that one bad component in a batch could be a red flag for the rest of the batch. In a former life I used to work a computer manufacturer, and we used to watch for multiple component failures in a parts batch. Depending on the number of failures and past experience with that type of part, entire batches could be returned to the supplier based on failure frequency. There are isolated random failures, and there are systematic failures. The particular memory I have seems no longer produced. Maybe there is a reason for that.

Qpi/vtt didn't make any difference, and at BCLK 160 and memory running 1600, it's just fine at the stock, manually set voltage. I've got several pages of written down settings I tried. If I develop any future mysterious failures, the first thing I will do is replace the memory with a different brand and model.

Comment

What was the original kit model #? That could be the problem, some chips (Elpida Hyper MNH-E) used in older Redline kits are problematic and were quickly pulled then as well due to known issues and replaced with MGH-E which are fine.

Both type are EOL now though.

Comment

Originally posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
          What was the original kit model #? That could be the problem, some chips (Elpida Hyper MNH-E) used in older Redline kits are problematic and were quickly pulled then as well due to known issues and replaced with MGH-E which are fine.
          "998805 6GB (3x2GB) PC3-12800 6-8-6-24 1.65V Redline Triple Pack" is all I have, and since the pack has gone back, I can't look at the chip model numbers on the dimm. What you say may be the explanation then since Mushkin was quickly willing to replace the entire pack. This sure made my life miserable after all the planning I did selecting components for my "super" computer.

Comment

Ahh ok, thanks! No, those are not the IC's I mentioned, those are still around and kicking Mushkin is just low, or out, of stock on that particular chip is all.

Nothing wrong with them at all either. They are always great at RMA's, nothing to do with the model or chips at all this time.

See my signature for my review on those, same memory just with different heat spreader is all, 998826.

Comment

Working...
            X