Gig Ep45 UD3R
    2x1 GB Kingston ddr2 1066
    Gig GTX 470
    1x WD 640 GB blue
    Lg22x
    650w Signature
    P182
    Windows 7 64 bit Home oem

So. . I had initially posted my issue in the software forum but its possible it may be a mobo issue so I moved it here.

Basically, I reinstalled Windows 7 in ahci mode, but my hard drive wouldn't detect on the SATA device loadout screen so I had to change it to ide mode (in which it was detected and installed successfully). Now, whenever I try to change it back to AHCI mode, the hard drive won't detect, the computer would hang on the SATA device screen so I can't even get to BIOS. . I have to disconnect the HDD just to get into BIOS to change it to IDE.

Does anyone know what the issue is? I used to be able to use AHCI mode fine. .

Re: Can't detect HDD when in AHCI mode

What BIOS are you using? If not the latest, please update with Qflash and see if that helps.

If you do not want to do that please try clearing the CMOS overnight and then reload optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot BACK to the BIOS and set all your settings again and see if AHCI then works for you or not.

If not, and if it still fails after you flash the BIOS, the disk could be going bad. Test with another disk to confirm if you can.

Also, be sure you have the hard drive connected to the first Intel port SATAII_0 (Against the PCB)

Comment

Thank you for detailed response.

When I encountered this issue, I initially had BIOS F11. I used q-flash to change to F12 (although I didn't clear the CMOS overnight), loaded optimized defaults, reapplied my settings but the computer would still hang before BIOS in AHCI mode (while continuing to work fine in IDE mode).

For some reason I had the HDD in slot 4 and the 22x drive in slot 0. . the computer would be able to first detect the 22x drive and then hang while trying to detect the hard drive in this setup.. I switched the HDD back to slot 0 before the reflash to F12.

I will try swapping HDDs and then keep you all posted.

Comment

Ok UPDATE: I swapped drives with a WD 320 GB and the comp seems to work fine in AHCI mode. . I'm installing W7 on it in AHCI mode as we speak just to be sure. I'm going clear the CMOS and then try it again, hopefully it will detect.

Comment

So it was a bad drive then? I've seen it a few times, I'm not sure if it means the drive is actually going bad as in you are about to loose your data, or if it just means some part of it's functions has failed and AHCI wont work anymore?

Best to RMA the drive though once you get a chance and get all your data off of it.

Comment

Yeah, it appears to be the hard drive because even after clearing cmos, then swapping back to the 640 GB drive, it refuses to work in AHCI mode. It's weird because the drive works fine in IDE.. I'm not sure what that could mean either.

I am going to contact WD and try to inquire about a solution (and maybe some insight on why this occurred); if none can be reached I'll just have no choice but to get a replacement.

Thanks for all the help so far.

Comment

Yeap, sounds like you've confirmed it to be the drive.

Working fine and being fine are not the same :) Maybe it's OK in IDE, but only for now? Have you tested it with the manufacturer diagnostic tools? If not you should go ahead and do that, then setup a RMA on the drive.

Glad to be of assistance, sorry to hear the drive was the problem though. RMA should be quick and painless for you though, so that is a plus.

Comment

Working...
              X