ga-p67a-ud3 cooler recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ga-p67a-ud3 cooler recommendations?

I've been reading in a few places that a 3rd party cooler doesn't fit well in this board cause the ram is very close to the CPU. I'm looking for recommendations for very quiet coolers that people have had no issues installing in this board.

Thank you in advance! :)

Re: ga-p67a-ud3 cooler recommendations?

Im using this one

Newegg.com - XIGMATEK LOKI SD963 92mm HYPRO Bearing CPU Cooler bracket included I7 i5 775 1155 AMD and dual fan push pull compatible

My 2600k idles at 22 and it doesnt block the ram slots
    Gigabyte P67 UD4 B3
    intel 2600k
    4 GB Gskill Ripjaw 1600 1.5v
    Evga 570 GTX SC
    Thermaltake 850 watt Power supply
    Cretaive x fi extreme gamer
    500 gb wd hd
    windows 7 64bit ultimate

Comment

I use the Thermalright Silver Arrow. Here are some pictures to show size/spacing:

Thermalright Silver Arrow RAM clearance by 77Pat, on Flickr

Gigabyte p67a-ud4 side view by 77Pat, on Flickr

Comment

What cooler are you concerned with, that would help so we could try to find if others are using the same or had issues with it.

Comment

i don't have any one cooler in particular that I'm interested in, just looking for overall recommendations. The only main thing I'm looking is for it to be a quiet as possible.

does anyone have experience with this one?
          Noctua NH-D14

Comment

Which CPU do you have and more important how high you intend to OC if at all.
            I thought the K CPU come with a better cooler, isn't it so?

Comment

Originally posted by tamerax View Post
              i don't have any one cooler in particular that I'm interested in, just looking for overall recommendations. The only main thing I'm looking is for it to be a quiet as possible.

does anyone have experience with this one?
              Noctua NH-D14
              I think you will find the D14 to be a monster and an overkill for the 1155.

I have the NH-U12P SE2 which cools nicely at 4.8 (the wall for my chip).

Designed in Austria, Noctua's premium cooling components are renowned for their superb quietness, exceptional performance and thoroughgoing quality.

If you are concerned about the RAM seating then you could like at the NH-C12P.

Designed in Austria, Noctua's premium cooling components are renowned for their superb quietness, exceptional performance and thoroughgoing quality.
              Kipper
              Hardware/Software Reviewer

Comment

I have the Antec 620 H2O cooler. Using IC Diamond 7 paste instead of the stock preapplied paste. Idles at ambient (20-22C) and under Intel Burn Test (stress test) I don't exceed 55 degrees on any core.
                i5 Sandy Bridge 4.4GHz @ 1.32v

Using same cooler on my gf's rig and her temps are nearly identical at ambient. Load temps are under mine because its not overclocked and it's using the stock preapplied paste on the pump/waterblock.

Antec 920 should be out on the 22nd of this month. The 620 performs on par with the H70 from Corsair so I can only speculate to the performance of Antec's 920.

I also have a Xigmatek Dark Knight for my e6300 C2Duo 1.86GHz. That is overclocked to 3.5Ghz@ 1.34vcore and temps are a few degrees over ambient and load is 58 degrees. The Dark Knight is using MX-2 TIM. Really tricky to install the paste on a HDT cooler because you have to fill in the gaps. I also heard the Cooler Master 212 is a good cooler except for the fact that it has to be installed upside down; heatsink first and then the back plate. The Cooler Master Hyper N520 uses the same method of applying the heatsink, heatsink first and then the back plate, which made it almost impossible to install correctly and avoiding air pockets. That was the first cooler I used on my gf's rig and I returned it for the Antec 620. Much better performance and easier to install. Not to mention less weight hanging off the motherboard and the neatness of it all.

The all in one liquid cooling solutions aren't real water cooling as they perform almost as good as a high end air set up. Pros are obviously less weight, aesthetically pleasing, and ease of installation along with near silent operation.

Cons are, well, water. The sealed solutions, such as the ones I spoke of, do not tend to leak except for those rare instances where a novice would install and corrupt the tubing to restrict flow and/or nick the tubes to cause a leak. Also a risk with the pump ceasing to function, but the bios has an alarm and so does CoreTemp. I have mine to shut down immediately if temps get over a set limit to save my pc from frying in case the fan stop or the pump stops. Then, with the 3 year warranty, I order another one.

A normal air set up would run for decades except for the rare fan failure.

Like I said, I prefer the all in one sealed liquid cooling solution because its more appealing to me. You just have to outweight the pros and cons of each one. As for my recommendation, I say use the stock cooler for now and preorder the Antec 920. Bigger radiator with 2 fans for push/pull configuration. The 920 is $120 bucks, but again it's sealed so the leakage is hardly a con compared to the custom set ups that run a little bit more which require maintenance. If 120 is too much then opt for the 620 for 70 bucks.

Also, Noctua has a list of ram that fits under their heatsinks/fans on their website.
                Last edited by manoots; 04-17-2011, 04:57 PM.

Comment

I disagree on sealed watercooled units,they break VERY EASILY,noob or seasoned builder needs to be very carefull if installing one,I tried with a coolit which the hose cracked and leaked,dunno if they have improved things since then but imo if your going for water then you can't beat a custom loop inc res,rad and pump,

As for air coolers its all about the heatsink,take measurements ect,fans can always be changed for silent ones,akasa Apache or noctua fans run quiet,
                  Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                  Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                  Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                  Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                  1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                  1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                  Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                  Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                  Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                  Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                  K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                  L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                  Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                  Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                  http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                  Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by wazza300 View Post
                    I disagree on sealed watercooled units,they break VERY EASILY,noob or seasoned builder needs to be very carefull if installing one,I tried with a coolit which the hose cracked and leaked,dunno if they have improved things since then but imo if your going for water then you can't beat a custom loop inc res,rad and pump,

As for air coolers its all about the heatsink,take measurements ect,fans can always be changed for silent ones,akasa Apache or noctua fans run quiet,
                    They definitely did improve on them. The Corsair tubing is very stiff so it can cause problems. Antec tubing is flexible and very thick so it wont kink.

I'm saving enough money to build a custom water set up as I dont want a liquid cooling kit except for the one I'm currently using. The temps are good and the construction is good as well. If i ever do experience a tube problem, which I doubt I will with this Antec device, I'll post up the info and let everyone know. I'm planning a custom liquid build that will cost in excess of 200 dollars, so this all in one solution from Antec will buy me enough time.

Comment

thank you everyone for your suggestions :) I'm gonna go over them all and i'll report back when I finally make a choice :)

I know for sure I won't be going with a liquid cooling solution for this rig even if it is the quietest.

thanks!

Comment

Dont let any of my comments put you off watercooling,I'm sure they are much improved now, but with sandybridge air cooling is all you need as they don't get hot
                        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I didn't see this mentioned, so I'll throw this in. The CM Hyper 212+ runs very quiet. On my MOBO I had to install the RAM in the first slot before cooler install because of the heat spreaders on the G Skill RAM. Nevertheless it works good and is very quiet.
                          FWIW.
                          Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
                          Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
                          PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
                          Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
                          Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
                          HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
                          SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Zalman CNPS10X Quiet. Not sure if two fans are possible.
                            For CNPS10X Flex and CNPS10X Performa two fans are possible.

Comment

Agreed with manoots. The original Coolit Domino was indeed plgued with issues, the barbs were very fragile. Newer revisions improved the issue. The Corsair units don't suffer from this at all. The barbs are also hinged and rotate with a surprizing ammount of freedom.

Corsair's new H60 in particular would be a great buy if one were looking for a self contained liquid cooler. The block/pump unit has been overhauled and is both thinner, quieter and better performing than those on the H50 and even the H70. In terms of actual temps, it beats the H50 by a couple of degrees at load, and looses out to the H70, again by a couple of drgrees. This is due to the H60 only having a single width rad, compared to the H70'd double thickness rad. It's also quieter than the H50 by ~12% and quieter than the H70 by ~20%. For once, the fan included with the product is actually pretty decent, with good airflow and quite a high static pressure. You could probably cut noise even more by using a Noctua NF-P12 (there are higher air flow Noctua fans, but this model produces by far the highest static pressure, even compared to the 140mm model. Two NF-P12's in push/pull with the supplied LNA's is around the same volume level as the included fan, but also cools much better too.

I've been meaning to replace my TRUE Black for some time, and the H60 is looking rather attractive. I already have two NF-P12's, so combine those with three NF-P14 FLX (one front intake, one side intake and one top exhaust, balanced with the LNA's for slight positive pressure) and I should be able to quieten down my 690 II case no end. Having a lot of mesh is great for air flow (my GPU temps are ~10-15c lower than my old Lian Li PC A09) but it definitely increases noise for the same fan setup, and without positive pressure, it can get dusty vey quickly.

You may want to experiment with actually making the fan on an all in one system draw air in rather than have it act as an exhaust. When gaming, my case temps do get a little toasty, even in a decently vented case. The air expelled from my top fan is definitely nice and warm after a hour or so playing BFBC2/Crysis. As long as you have a decent top exhaust, it shouldn't be an issue. If you find it adversly effects your air flow, replace any larger 140mm top exhaust with two 120mm, or in extreme cases experiment with making your side intake or even your front intake an extractor. That doesn't work well in all cases, as it depends on air flow characteristics, but I've found that it cools very well in small/mid tower cases. I must emphasize, this isn't a universal solution, but it does work well sometimes. The tubing, unfirtunately, isn't long enough to allow you to mount the cooler in your front fan bay, but that would only be possible anyway if you have a case where the HDD bays are removable.

Another advantage of such a setup is that it basically eliminates the CPU heat sink fan and replaces the rear exhaust fan, meaning that in real terms you'll have one less fan in your system.

All in one liquid systems have come a long way. They're not on par with stand alone block/rad/res/pump setups, but their effectiveness matches their convenience and cost surprisinly well.
                              Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
                              Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
                              P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
                              Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
                              TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
                              2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
                              2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
                              Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
                              Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
                              WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
                              Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
                              Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
                              3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
                              Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Working...
                              X