Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to boot from USB key on GA-890FXA-UD5

Hi there.

I have a GA-890FXA-UD5 (rev 2.1) with the F6 BIOS. I am unable to boot a Linux image from an USB key, and wondered whether anyone could shed some light on it?

I have tried a couple of different ISO images (Ubuntu 10.10, SysRescueCD 2.1.0) and a couple of different USB keys. My laptop is able to boot from them, but I cannot get my GA-890FXA-UD5 to boot from them. I always get the following:

Code:
    Loading operating system ... 
    Boot error

- Do I need to use a specific USB port, or will any do?
    - Should I be using the USB-HDD option from the boot menu (F12)?
    - Should I have specific settings enabled in the BIOS?

Many thanks,

Jon

Re: Unable to boot from USB key on GA-890FXA-UD5

Did you make the usb stick bootable? Look in qflash guide on main tweaktown/gigabyte page,use the HP software to make the stick bootable,enable usb storage or usb legacy devices in the bios and try booting from usb and usb/hdd in the bios
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

You need to enable USB Storage function and maybe USB Legacy Function, in Integrated Peripherals.

At the F12 screen slect + Dard Disk, then the USB drive.

Comment

Hi there,
        I have this mobo and am also running the F6 BIOS and can BOOT and install various Linux distros without problem from the USB Stick. You might want to use this: Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux to create a Bootable pendrive.

Once you have created the install drive shut down the PC and plug the USB stick into one of the USB2 ports (don't try using the USB3 ones).
        Restart the PC and press F12 to get to the BOOT menu. You need to choose the USB-HDD option to access the pendrive.
        Apart from keyboard and mouse do not have any other devices plugged into the USB ports. Although this is not essential it does help eliminate any issues.
        Chassis: Xigmatek Elysium - Mobo: GA-AX370-Gaming K7 - PSU: Corsair AXi 760 Watt Modular
        CPU: AMD Ryzen7 1800 X - Cooler: Raystorm Waterblock (AM4) - RAM: Corsair Vengeance Black 32Gb running at 2400MHz
        GPU: Palit Geforce GTX 1050Ti - Monitor: 27" Dell U2713HM
        Storage: Samsung M.2 NVMe 500Gb, Corsair Force GS 250Gb SSD, SanDisk 250Gb SSD
        ODD: Pioneer BD-RW writer - Keyboard: Logitech K800; Logitech Touchpad T650 - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Comment

I posted a reply for you as well in the other thread you inquired about on this issue, see this post, same info as posted above by Chike

Guys, it sounds like his stick is bootable already as he mentions using it on other PC's, I think he just needs to learn the "Gigabyte Way" of booting to USB :)

Comment

Hello all,

According to the Fedora 15 Docs there is an Award BIOS bug that can prevent USB sticks from booting. I've had the same problem with LiveUSB Creator and Unetbootin, making bootsticks with Fedora and Windows. I've used the same sticks in two Acers (both with Phoenix BIOSes) without problem.

Since the GA-890FXA-UD5 uses an Award BIOS (I have the latest BIOS in my mobo (rev. 3.1)), there may not be a solution.

I haven't tried the legacy USB support option though.

Quote from <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/wiki/FAQ<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">I cannot boot off of the USB key!

"Some BIOSes have been reported (in particular, certain versions of the Award BIOS) that cannot boot USB keys in "USB-HDD" mode. This is a very serious BIOS bug, but it is unfortunately rather typical of the kind of quality we're seeing out of major BIOS vendors these days. On these BIOSes, you're generally stuck booting them in USB-ZIP mode.
            THIS MEANS THE FILESYSTEM IMAGE ON THE DISK HAS TO HAVE A CORRECT ZIPDRIVE-COMPATIBLE GEOMETRY."
            See this page for details on setting up your usb key in a zip-like fashon. Ideally the liveusb-creator should support this feature as well (ticket #267).

Comment

Since this thread is the one of the highest ranking search results on Google...

I bought a GA-890FXA-UD5 Rev 3.1 and have had the same issues with it not booting from a Linux or Windows USB Boot disk. The Windows side I don't particularly care about, but it is essential have the Linux disks going. I have tried the default Startup disk creator in Ubuntu and also UNetBootin.
              Results vary from the USB Disk not appearing in the F12 boot menu or when it does appear I get the same error "Loading operating system ... Boot error"

Trying different USB2 or USB3 ports made no difference
              Changing legacy settings in the BIOS also made no difference

The exact same USB Disks work fine on my old motherboard GA-870A-UD3 and also on my Netbook.
              I've had to put the old 870A motherboard back in which is just a bit of a waste.

Is there any fix for getting these Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 motherboards to boot off USB boot disks?

Comment

@quids
                which device eactly have you chose from F12 menu?

Comment

@Chike
                  I usually go for USB HDD Option, but have also gone into the Hard Drive list and selected USB Boot disk from there (thats if it appears in the Hard Drive list, which it didn't always).

Either option worked fine on the old 870A motherboard.

Comment

So it seems that ubunto does begin booting but has an error? e.g. if you just format the USB and try booting from it do you get the same error?

Comment

Hey I have an unusual situation that may relate to this thread.
                      My theory is that my Dell with it's Intel Duo will only boot up the flash drive if the code on the mbr of the flash drive is a certain way.

I have good luck when the distro I want to install is already an image file and just requires some kind of 'dd' command.

I have good luck with the 'usb-creator' program on Ubuntu 9.04 and not the one on 9.10 and beyond (and as long as the Ubuntu distro is pre-10.04).

'unetbootin' made live USBs won't work on this computer.

This is specific to my Dell with it's Intel Duo. The above mentioned all work fine when booted on a different style computer.
                      Last edited by bkmfs; 07-27-2011, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Hey Guys,

A bit late with my reply i know but i have a fix!
                        Plug in your USB key, turn on your PC and go into the BIOS (DEL).
                        Then go into "Advanced BIOS Features -> Hard Disk Boot Priority"
                        Chane "USB-HDD0 - Brand Name Of USB Key" to number "1" on the Boot Sequence.
                        Reboot.
                        It will now automatically boot from your USB Key.
                        If the BIOS fails to detect your USB Key then Unplug and Replug it whilst on this BIOS screen, reboot, then go back into the BIOS and try again.
                        It will now appear.

Thanks,
                        Taran

Comment

another alternative is to press F12 on boot-up to force a boot disk selection screen, then select the USB drive.

if you want to permanently use the USB drive then what taranoch suggest is the best solution.

Vin
                          Main Rig
                          OS = Win10-64Bit
                          CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
                          Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                          MB = Asus ROG C6H
                          GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
                          HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
                          PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
                          Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
                          OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
                          CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
                          Mem = 24GB RAM
                          MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
                          GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                          HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
                          Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
                          PSU = Corsair TX750
                          Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
                          X