Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help with P67A-UD4-B3 motherboard setting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with P67A-UD4-B3 motherboard setting.

First of all, my system spec is the following:

Windows 7 x64
    i5-2500k
    2x2GB RAM
    HD6950
    Corsair 750w

I am currently running F4 bio.

The problem I have is that, occasionally (perhaps every couple days) I would experience system freeze while playing game, and will require restart of the system. In the process of eliminate, I eliminated all GPU related problem. The game runs smoothly but with the above problem. I go into event logs and it says something about missing file for power management. So I immediately think that it might be issue regarding PSU and perhaps when motherboard runs hot, it adjusts the fan speed and at that moment the system freezes.

So I went into the BIO and disabled smartfan so it runs at 100% fulltime to avoid the power adjustment when motherboard runs hot. So now the freeze issue seems to be gone, but the game runs with some stutter. My memory is usually at about 55-65% with the game on. So I thought it might be PSU or RAM issue. So process of elimination, I want to see if the RAM is the problem first. I guess my questions are two folded.

1) I would like to know what you guys think is the problem with the above description. Note that I am new to the computer stuff, so when I flash the bio with Qflash through USB drive, I did not follow the "go into Bio > set to optimize default > restart > set hard disk" steps. I also have not done the alt-F12 process to copy the BIO (since this is dual bio motherboard). I guess my question would be, how should I go about setting my motherboard first?

2) If I were to improve the RAMs, what should I get as replacement? I am looking to upgrade to 2x4GB, but I don't know much about the 1.5v or 1.6v, 8-8-8-24 vs 9-9-9-24, and 1333 vs 1600 differences. What brand would you recommand?

Note that I have uninstalled the energy saver thing that comes with the motherboard.

Thank you.

Re: Need help with P67A-UD4-B3 motherboard setting.

Which ram do you have now and waht frequency is it running at?
    A few screen captures of EasyTune if you have installed it would be helpfull.
    Tuner -> Advanced -> Voltage tb, and also memory/spd tab(s).
    Snce you have P67 board, and K type CPU I can assume you plan to overclock, which CPU cooler do you have now?

EDIT: my advice is to keep backup and main BIOS of different versions, this way you can quickly flash the backup to the main.

Comment

Hi, I don't have easytune. And for some reason when I try to install it, it says open driver handle failure. Error number 0x80040707. Des: DLL function call crashed: check FK.searchBIOSStr

I did a quick CPU-Z and the memory shows the follows:

DDR3 4096 MB Dual

DRAM Frequency = 668.7 MHz
      FSB:DRAM = 1:5
      Timing = 9-9-9-24
      Manufacturor = Kingston
      1.5v

Let me know if you need anything else. I don't know why I can't install easy tune....

Comment

If you have not updated the bios yet as you have said. I would recommend doing so first then reset all your setting and then try as chike has said.

Make sure you grab that latest version of ET6 from the stick on top of this forum.
        Main Rig
        Gigabyte z87x-OC
        Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
        G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
        Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
        Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
        HiS ATI HD 6950
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
        Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
        Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
        Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
        EK Supremacy Cpu Block
        Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
        Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

Ok, going to reflash the bio.

I use CoolerMaster V8 Gaming CPU Cooling Fan for cooling system.

In addition, my hard disk is 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

One thing I don't understand is that when I go to gigabyte download & support and click on drivers. I wasn't able to install the following two things as it says system requirement not met:

Intel SATA RAID Preinstall driver
          (For AHCI / RAID Mode)
          Note: Press F6 during Windows setup to read from floppy.

Intel SATA RAID Driver

I was able to install Marvell Console Driver (SATA3)

Let me know if those two are required. Thank you.

Also, what RAM would you recommand getting if I want to do 2x4GB?

Comment

4GB of DDR-1333 CL 9 shouldn't have a problem, but try to increase VTT gradually above 1.05v, up to 1.15v and see if that make things better.
            Also run Prime95 blend torture for 6+ hours to test stability.

Try running ET6 installation as an admin.

Comment

The Preinstall driver is for the time of windows installation when you are asked for drivers (F6 or something).
              If you do not have a RAID then you don't need to install anything. Just a few changes in the registry and you can change from IDE mode to AHCI or RAID.

Comment

Is it good to switch over? If so, how do I do that? And if I switch to RAID, during reflash of BIO I will need to make sure I change the harddisk setting before I get to windows right? But if I don't switch over, I can skip that process after I reflash the BIO?

Comment

I don't remember what I did but after the changes I can switch back and forth from IDE to AHCI/RAID without a problem.
                  I really don't think it makes any difference' but if you decide to build a RAID one day than other drives will have to be AHCI.

Comment

Originally posted by pochen23 View Post
                    Is it good to switch over? If so, how do I do that? And if I switch to RAID, during reflash of BIO I will need to make sure I change the harddisk setting before I get to windows right? But if I don't switch over, I can skip that process after I reflash the BIO?
                    If you only have 1 drive or if you have 2 drives 1 for your OS and 1 for storage you wont benifit from using raid vs ahci. Raid reqires 2 or more of drives. RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are using IDE mode for SATA drives I would suggest switching over to AHCI mode.
                    Main Rig
                    Gigabyte z87x-OC
                    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
                    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
                    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
                    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
                    HiS ATI HD 6950
                    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
                    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
                    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
                    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
                    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
                    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
                    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
                    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
                    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

I just googled on how to switch from IDE to AHCI. I will do that tonight before reflash. Then reflash, then load optimize default, then set the harddrive to AHCI in the BIOs.

Comment

Make an ATTO benchmark before and after you change, you will see there's no advantage for AHCI.

Comment

Ok, first thing first.

I changed from IDE to AHCI. From what I can tell, in the BIO, I had to change two things from IDE to AHCI. Is there anything else I am missing? The reason I asked is that once I am in Windows, there is this icon in the task trait (where all the startup programs are at and the clock) shows this safely remove hardware icon, the one that shows up after plugging the computer to a USB device etc. Clicking on it, there are two items:

Eject Marvell 91xx config ATA device
                          Eject WDC WD1002FAEX-007BA0 ATA device

Is it supposed to be like that? And I did do a benchmark on the harddisk and it is the same as IDE setup. So am I better off switching back to IDE? it just doesn't seem right to have my harddisk showing as an external device.

Second, I was successful in reflashing the BIO and applied the optimal default setting as well as changing the harddisk to AHCI again. Everything runs fine.

Third, I rechecked my RAM and realized it is two of this:

Newegg.com - Kingston HyperX Blu 2GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9AD3B1/2G

So I changed in the BIO from 1333 to 1600, and changed the voltage from 1.5v to 1.66v (for some reason there is no 1.65, just 1.64 and 1.66, and 1.66 is actually 1.656). So other than the DDR voltage, do I need to change any other voltage? They are all shown as auto. The vcore voltage is 1.2. I am not sure what else is important that I need to make sure is set correctly.

Changing from 1333 to 1600 runs just fine, and memory benchmark went up from 7.6 to 7.9 in the windows benchmark. Interestingly, under CPU-Z, the voltage still shows 1.5v, is that a concern?

Thank you.

Comment

AHCI support hot plug, it is normal to have those items.

If you experiance freezes or BSODs increase VTT above 1.05v. one step at a time untill the system is stable.
                            You will only need very little if at all with your memory setup.
                            Make sure memory timings are 9-9-9-27, if they are higher set them manually.

Comment

They were 9-9-9-24, so I changed them to 9-9-9-27 now.

So far so good. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X