Help: Ga-h57m-usb3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: Ga-h57m-usb3

I am experiencing some disturbing shut downs on my pc and would really appreciate some guidance. This has been plaguing me for about 6 months now and I can't take it anymore...

Just to be clear, these crashes do not provide a BSOD and therefore no error code for me to research and correct on my own.

In the last two days, this has happened 4-5 times, and most often while watching streaming video online (but not always). Without warning, everything will lock up (sometimes this is accompanied by a terrible sound emitted from the speakers - presumably looping audio from the video i was watching). The computer then reboots itself without my involvement.

Before anyone asks, my drivers are UP TO DATE, and my BIOS is up to date as well.

So far, I have asked around and most people point to my graphics card overheating, or a very dirty (dusty) pc as a likely cause. Firstly, my computer is generally kept very clean, and I am monitoring my GPU temps and they are usually WELL within normal ranges (frankly it runs very cool). I have called EVGA for support, and they told me they had not heard of this problem before. They had me run a bunch of gpu stress tests, all of which provided no clue (they were clean) as to what could be wrong. Someone else told me to make sure my RAM was properly seated. I did check that and I can't see any seating issues.

I was hoping some whiz here like Lsdmeasap could help me! I would be eternally grateful. I want to make sure my RAM is compatible with my motherboard, and additionally, if someone can help me make sure my RAM/CPU/BIOS settings are correct for a stable machine.

Thank you in advance.

OS. Windows 7 HP 64Bit
    CPU. Core i5 750 2.66
    Motherboard. Gigabyte GA-H57M-USB3
    Memory. Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte 6GB 3X2GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1333 CL7-7-7-20 Dual Channel Memory
    Graphics Card. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    Monitor. Acer LCD 24" 2MS H243H BMID
    PSU. Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply
    Case. Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case ATX 3/0/(6) 2xUSB Audio
    Cooling. Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro REV.2 CPU Heatsink Cooler LGA13
    Hard Drive. Western Digital Caviar Green (WD10EARS) 1000GB (1TB) SATA 3 Gb/s 64MB (OEM)

Re: Help: Ga-h57m-usb3

Could you look at the event log to see if anything there?
    Do you monitor CPU temperatures as well?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      Could you look at the event log to see if anything there?
      Do you monitor CPU temperatures as well?
      Yes,

I have just booted up and started streaming video for about 5 mins. Here is what I see in SpeedFan for temps:

GPU: 31C
      Temp1: 29C
      Temp2: 25C
      Temp3: 25C
      HD0: 26C
      Core0: 35C
      Core1: 30C
      Core2: 37C

As far as logs go, I did try looking before and couldn't see anything. If you want to walk me through where i should look, I can double check again.

Thanks!!

Comment

If it was shut down you shoud see the reason if windows did it, or recovered from unexpected shuddown.

Next think to look at is the PSU. PSUs may have protection circuit that will shut down the PSU if it overheat, a faulty PSU may shutdown even if it's not overheated.
        If you have a spare PSU, loan, get your hand on one, that would be a good thing to check.

EDIT: PC3-12800 is DDR-1600, what is your memory set to run at?

Comment

Thanks Chike!

If i go into Event Logs -> Windows Logs -> System (is this the right place)

I see a ton of Information entries.

If i scroll down to approx the time when my computer last crashed, here are some relevant entries, let me know if you want more information:

Error
          9/19/2011 6:03:47 PM
          The previous system shutdown at 6:02:54 PM on ‎9/‎19/‎2011 was unexpected.

Critical
          9/19/2011 6:03:40 PM
          The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

There are no logged entries just before that that would elucidate the crash.

As to your other question. I'm not sure I'm looking at the right place. I will just paste a screenshot of my CPUz Memory screen. The DRAM freq. is changing constantly, as is the NB Freq.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Cpuz.png
Views:	1
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	751554

Please advise!

Comment

That means it wasn't windows that initiated the shutdown.
            I recommend testing with another PSU or have the PSU checked.

The run runs at DDR-1333, what is the exact model/part number?
            What is the board revision(printed at the corner near the far PCIe slot I/O panel side) and BIOS version installed?

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
              That means it wasn't windows that initiated the shutdown.
              I recommend testing with another PSU or have the PSU checked.

The run runs at DDR-1333, what is the exact model/part number?
              What is the board revision(printed at the corner near the far PCIe slot I/O panel side) and BIOS version installed?
              What is my first step for checking the PSU, I have no spare. Should I call Corsair?

The RAM is Mushkin 998832 (this exact kit i believe: 998832 - 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666 7-7-7-20 Blackline (Triple Kit))

The board (H57M-USB3) REV is 1.0. The BIOS is Intel H57, AWARD BIOS, Ver. F9.

Comment

Try contacting Corsair, though I don't know if they have another method of indication if it's the PSU or not.

BIOS version latest, that's good.

Memory is PC3-10666, to run at lower timings it needs 1.65v and the timings set manually, once the problem is solved we'll deal with that.

Comment

You are awesome Chike. So I'll deal with Corsair first and see what they say.

I'm thinking now that I'm down to only 4gb ram that I should just get 2x4gb. RAM seem so cheap now. Doubling the RAM would increase performance right?

Thinking about:
                  Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL9 DIMMs (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
                  Last edited by dio_free; 09-19-2011, 07:38 PM.

Comment

RAM does effect performance but not that much. Increasing amount of ram will help performance only if you are currently short of free memory.
                    Your memory kit is for X58 system which have 3 channels.
                    In a dual channel system like yours, 4GB would operate at dual-channel mode and the rest 2GB in single channel.
                    Before you spend money on new ram you can try and OC this kit.

Comment

AAhhhhh. Okay so at least the full 6gb isnt been undersold, only 1/3 of it is running at single channel. Thank you for elaborating.

Okay. I have no experience overclocking, but if it would save me money and not be too hard, it's worth a shot (as long as there's no real risk to my data).

I'm trying to see if things will crash with 2 sticks only, but i doubt that's the problem.

Comment

The BIOS post screen (if you disable the logo) should have a message like "^GB memory in Flex mode" which is a mix of doaul and single channel modes.

Comment

what qpi/vtt voltage are you using? i agree stick with current ram,just two sticks in dual channel should run fine,could try and buy a single stick of the same ram to make 8gb total? what chip you have? tested with built in igpu? to rule out graphic card fault

should look like this with two sticks of ram installed

Last edited by wazza300; 09-20-2011, 09:21 AM.
                          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Wazza.

Here is what my CPUz looks like with 2 sticks. Doesnt seem to be the same as urs. Please advise

I plan to test with onboard GPU once I have eliminated RAM as the problem.

As to your others questions:

qpi/vtt voltage: No idea, how do i check this.

CPU (chip): Core i5
                            Last edited by dio_free; 09-21-2011, 09:35 AM.

Comment

It looks ok, do you have the two sticks installed in the same color slots?

Comment

Working...
                              X