No announcement yet.

Must Power on/off/on (Cold boot) for POST (boot) to complete. Otherwise looping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Must Power on/off/on (Cold boot) for POST (boot) to complete. Otherwise looping

Sorry for the very long post, but from reading previous ones, I note that many times additional questions are asked. The computer specs are at the end of the post.
    Any ideas would be appreciated. (except for getting another PSU)
    Thanks
    Ron

Problem:
    I have self built system (Feb 2011) using a GA-X58A-UDR3 Rev 2 mainboard and the Intel i7-950 that has just starting having a problem completing the POST. If I turn the power off then on either by the PSU switch or an by external surge protector, the system will POST, boot up and load windows fine. It can run over and hour like this. But whenever I do a restart from Windows, the systems gets stuck in the POST, usually starts looping by power down, starting POST again from the beginning. If it doesn't loop, it is extremely slow, taking 20 minutes to complete the POST.

I do not overclock. I normally use the Optimized settings.
    The setup has 3 sata + 1 IDE + 1 sata cd/dvd drives.
    There no adapter cards other than the video.
    This problem occurs whenever I do a restart or hybernate from Windows, or push the reset or power button on the front panel.

I have tried the following, but none fix the problem:
    Remove power cord, push and hold 'Clear CMOS' botton
    Removed all (4) HDs and DVD drive
    Load default settings in the BIOS
    Load optimized settings in the BIOS
    Tried a different video adapter
    Upgraded BIOS from FB (what came when purchased) to FF
    Removed memory sticks and tested each one in a different slot
    Gone into the MIT screen and loaded default settings
    Gone into the MIT screen and loaded optimized settings
    From SMART6 app, tried all combinations for Quick Boot
    From SMART6 app, tried "enhanced" overclocking settings
    From SMART6 app, went back to default settings
    Changed the hard disk wait time from 0 to 1 second
    Changed the QPI/VTT setting from auto to 1.195 (1.2 is not an option)

Other notes

After I clear CMOS (remove power cord, push clear CMOS button, plug in power cord) the system will not complete the POST. The Gigabyte splash screen comes up and usually hangs. I have to power on/off/on to get it to work. At this point, I go into BIOS and set to optimized settings and turn splash off.

When the system works, during the POST, the cd/dvd is found as "TSSTcorp CDDVD ????? SB05" The ? means it goes so fast I can't read it.
    When the POST does not complete,
    the cd/dvd is found as "TSSTcorp CDDVDVDVDVDVDVDVDVDVD SB05 " <-- This is bothersome!!
    the hard drives are sometimes found and displayed correctly unless looping starts
    The BIOS nevers gets to the Verifying DMI pool stage
    At the start of the post, the CPU is always found as INTEL core i7 3.20 (133x24)
    Yet the BIOS and Windows, if it gets that far, shows it correctly as 3.07 (133x23)
    133x24 should be 3.22, not 3.20

It is similar to, but not exactly the same as in the thread:
    Can we get an official response from Gigabyte regarding cold boot loop problem hitting the P67 / Z68 boards??
    GA-X58A-UD3R rev. 2.0 Cold Boot Issues (this is the opposite of my problem!)
    GA-Z68XP-UD3P Setup: Turns On then Turns Off
    GA-H55-USB3 hangs on Bios Splash

Computer specs of primary system:
    GA-X58A-UDR3 Rev 2.0
    Intel Core i7 950 CPU Running at 3.07 GHz (no OC)
    (Although CPU-Z v 1.59 says 133.2 X12 multiplier for Core #0 Speed of 1598.9 MHz)
    Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
    Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
    BIOS Originally FB. Upgraded to FF
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB GDDR5 P/N 7120484000G
    2 * [Crucial 2 GB PC3-10700 (667 MHz)] 4GB total (slots #1 & #3)
    Corsair TX650W PSU
    WDC 1002FAEX SATA 1 TB (boot)
    Seagate ST31000528AS ATA 1 TB
    WDC WD2500JS SATA 250 GB
    WDC 5000AAKB IDE 500 GB
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C SATA
    Antec 300 case Creative Inspire T3030 speakers
    Multi-boot setup
    Primary OS: Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1 64 bit
    Alternate OS: 2 instances of Windows XP Professional, SP3, 32 bt
    Puppy Linux. Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS (but I can never get a config where everything works)

Re: Must Power on/off/on (Cold boot) for POST (boot) to complete. Otherwise looping

shouldnt be any problem on x58 regarding cold boot,all cold boots are usually ram related as in settings/voltages not set correctly,what up with you dvd drive? you could use ahci mode but that might make your ide drive not work,it might eliminate the dvd drive message popping up

1.195v qpi/vtt is nowhere near enough imo and this is probably your cause although you are only using two sticks in dual channel? this again could be your cause of cold boots,i would try and grab a cheap tri channel kit of 1600mhz 6gb

but going with the dual channel kit your using now it should work fine too,try with 1.25v qpi/vtt voltage and set dram voltage to whats printed on your ram,it will either say 1.5v or 1.65v(set 1.66v) in bios,then see if it resumes from sleep and stops cold boot ups
    Last edited by wazza300; 01-17-2012, 09:01 PM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Re: Must Power on/off/on (Cold boot) for POST (boot) to complete. Otherwise looping

One thing I would suggest off hand is to load optimized defaults after reseting CMOS save then setting up and ACHI or whatever save then rebooting.

Comment

Thanks for the very quick reply. I did both of your suggestions. However, there was no change in the result. I still have to power down the PSU to get the computer up and running again. In the short term I put an extra 'surge protector' to the computer and located it so that I can easily turn the computer off and then on when I can't start-up.

All things considered, this is not a 'deal breaker' type of a problem. I will open up a ticket with Gigabyte just to let them know there are some issues with the board. If I find anything out, I will let you know.

I really do appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help.
        Thanks
        Ron

Comment

it would be worthwhile testing with some different ram,as im sure its this thats the cause
          Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
          Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
          1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
          1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
          Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
          K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
          L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
          Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
          http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
          Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Disable quick boot and leave it like that :)

Right on Wazza!! I too think this may be the issue - 2 * [Crucial 2 GB PC3-10700 (667 MHz)] 4GB total (slots #1 & #3)

That isn't really ideal memory for X58, speed-wise I mean, so it may be partially incompatible and could be leading to these issues because I doubt it was designed for P55 or X58.

Could you give me the exact mode or link to the page where you bought this memory so I can check into this. In the meantime, can you borrow any 1333 or 1600 memory to test with, one 2GB stick will be fine if you can only afford to grab one for testing, you should be able to buy a 2GB stick for $20 or so.

Comment

I purchased the 2 stick kit from a local MicroCenter store, but it doesn't seem to be on their website now. However, yesterday I ordered a 3rd 2 GB stick with the same part number (CT25664BA-1339) from crucial.com. I realize it would have been better to purchase a 3 stick kit, but that's life.
              And remember the 2 sticks worked perfectly from Feb 2011 until mid Jan 2012.

The link from crucial is below. I'll post image that states the memory is "Guaranteed compatable with the Giga-byte GA-X58A-UDR3 as soon as I figure out how to include a jpeg (or move it to a url on the web)

CT25664BA1339 - 2GB, 240-pin DIMM , DDR3 PC3-10600 from Crucial.com

And thanks again for all your help with this.
              Ron

Comment

Sorry, I missed your comment that the sticks used to work for a whole year! I know I've seen a few issues with 667Mhz memory, and small 512MB sticks on P55/X58 and above, that's why I mentioned all that I did.

I still think the issue will be the same, unless you find that your older memory is actually going bad. Test the new stick by itself so you can be sure. I feel the memory speed is the issue, not the amount of modules used.

To add images into your post you can use the image tags with the direct URL of an uploaded image to any image host such as tinypic, imageshack, photobucket, imgur, ect.

Code:
                [img]Direct URL of Image Here[/img]
                What is the highest amount of QPI/Vtt you have tested? Some CPU's just need more, and you'll need more for sure with 6GB. So be sure you try 1.25-1.4
                Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 01-19-2012, 11:30 PM.

Comment

Lsdmeasap, you are the man!! I increased the QPI/Vtt from the normal 1.175 to 1.315 and just like magic everything is working perfectly again! Many thanks for giving the range of 1.25-1.4. When the 3rd stick of memory arrives, I'll install it.

I want to thank Wazza and Lsdmeasap for the quick and helpful responses
                  Ron

Comment

Awesome to hear you are making some progress now!! And nice to know 667MHz memory can work on X58

Keep us posted on how things go when you get the third stick.

Comment

Working...
                    X