Only Using Half My Memory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only Using Half My Memory

I've build a new system using a GIGABYTE GA-Z68AP-D3 Intel Z68 Motherboard with this here set of RAM:

Buy the VisionTek 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866MHz Perf Memory Kit at TigerDirect.ca

When the system posts, it shows only 4GB of RAM. Looking inside the BIOS also reveals only 4GB RAM. I'm not at the PC at the moment, but the status page showing all four slots shows two 4GB modules but then below that it has 2048 for the active amount. When I boot into Windows 7 x64 it shows 8GB but only 4GB usable.

What I've tried so far:
    • I'm running the latest BIOS so that's not the issue (at least not an issue updating would fix).
    • I've tried moving the modules to different slots.. same issue. I've even tried them in different channels (ie: slots 1-2 and 1-3).
    • If I remove one module it displays half again.. only 4GB with 2GB usable. Both modules do this.
    • I've removed the CPU and modules and reseated them.

I'm really running out of ideas here.. any help?

Re: Only Using Half My Memory

Is this a brand new build? If so remove the cpu and look at the cpu socket and inspect of bent pins. If you have a camera please post links to pics of the socket. If the camera has macro mode please use that.

If this is a existing build can you please post your current bios settings. (F12 key in bios should take screen shots). You may need to increase qpi/vtt (vcciso voltage)
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

I'll take pictures of the socket once I get back home. I inspected it briefly and didn't notice any bent pins, though. It's possible I missed it, I guess, so I'll check again.

Comment

Be careful when checking so that you don't accidentally bend any pins!!

Comment

I've checked the socket and everything seems OK.

My next guess is the RAM.. could it be an incompatibility issue? Not sure if it's more likely the RAM or the motherboard at fault.

Excuse the photo quality as my cell phone was the only camera I had with me.

Comment

Would it always show half with any single module in any slot?

EDIT: can you also attach a CPU-Z text report (CPU-Z -> About tab -> Save Report (.TXT)) and a screen capture of task manager performance tab (Alt + PrintScreen to capture front atctive window only)
            Last edited by Chike; 01-27-2012, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Ya, I think there is an incompatibility issue, because if it was a short or bent pins then when using one module it would fail to boot on certain slots.

With bent pins or a short, it wouldn't show half memory when using a single stick as that only can happen with two modules or more. If a single module shows less than it should, in any socket, then it's a compatibility issue with the BIOS/memory.

Pic of socket is not good enough if you wanted us to check that, but I think this isn't the issue, sorry I totally missed you pointed out single stick did similar earlier.
              Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 01-27-2012, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X