Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first bios update on X-58 ud3-r rev.2 ( question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first bios update on X-58 ud3-r rev.2 ( question)

Hey you all,
    I guess I was getting a bit restless/bored and thought it may be time for a bios upgrade. I had just installed a new nvidia card ( msi gtx 560ti/2gb ) and thought this may help for future driver compatability
    and so on. My original bios was the very early FA bios, and I flashed it to the most recent " stable bios on Gigabyte site FH ". I used @bios as directed by your excellent post regarding this. Everything went well,
    the only thing I am running into is that I had my I7 930 slightly overclocked to 3.5 ghz and now if I use the same settings the pc will post most of the time but will soon shut down--no blue screen or display driver error,
    it just shuts down and when I restart I get the description regarding windows had to shut down and how do you want to start ( safe mode or normal ). When I go back into the bios and load the optimized settings
    and adjust just a few settings specific for my setup ( QPI/VTT--1.295), Azelia --Disabled, HPET--64 bit, Init. Display First -PCIEX16-1, Smart Fan Disabled ( Corsair H-50, need full speed ) everything works fine. I also enabled XMP for this,
    just because nothing is overclocked and it recognizes the 1600 memory, ( I had this disabled and set manually in overclock ).
    Well I guess this is what I get---ha !!! It is funny running some benchmarks really doesn't show that great of a gain in what I had from my overclock values so this is not a real big deal it just is something I am trying to find the answer to.
    Oh, the previous overclock settings are pretty much using Wazza's template on his signature, BCKL-160, CPU Clock Ratio-21X,Memory Multiplier--10, Uncore Freq--21, Load Line Calibration cannot be disabled in my bios but I set it to " Standard ".
    Thanks a lot ---rclark

Re: first bios update on X-58 ud3-r rev.2 ( question)

what qpi/vtt voltage you using now? 1.295 or 1.315v? might need one or two clicks more
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Hey Wazza, ( hope you are doing well ), I am using qpi/vtt--1.295 ( sorry I did not change this in my sig. due to experimenting now ), also cpu vcore is the standard 1.275 was not sure how to set this as normal or auto I believe "normal", also same options for DVID --normal or auto ? Wazza is this sort
      of thing sort of common, I thought I had maybe botched the bios flash and created a very unstable MB-yikes --Part of me wants to believe that with a new bios the timings or whatever with things have been changed a little and
      due to this an old bios overclock setting will not always work with the new bios ? Is this wishful thinking ? Great to correspond with you again and thanks for all the help, you have been a great help with past issues,
      take care--Robby

Comment

Congrats on your bios flash with @bios. When you flashed the bios using @bios did you make sure to place a check in the box for dmi pool data? Also did you load optimized defaults after flashing?

When ever updating a bios on a motherboard it is always suggested to retest overclock settings as ones that worked before might now work with the new bios. Always make sure default settings are 100% stable before overclocking again.
        Main Rig
        Gigabyte z87x-OC
        Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
        G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
        Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
        Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
        HiS ATI HD 6950
        Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
        Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
        Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
        Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
        CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
        Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
        EK Supremacy Cpu Block
        Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
        Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

its normal,some bios's need more/less voltage to be stable,i would try a touch more qpi/vtt voltage
          Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
          Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
          Razer Lycosa Keyboard
          Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

Hey Acebmxer
            Thanks for the remarks--that does make me feel better and also exposes where I failed. I did load the optimized settings before and after the bios flash and as you have said check marked the clear dmi pool box in the menu.
            I ignorantly went in and did not test the stability of everything right after loading and rebooting from optimized settings and just assumed I could apply my old overclock settings--doinkies !!! Oh well, live and learn --the hard way --ha !!!
            Well at least I won't forget this in the future !!! I guess I will let things set for a while to insure all is stable ( appears to be--no poweroffs--whew !!! ) I forgot to add that when the power had shut down ( with overclock) I did reboot and was able to run prime 95 for around 10 minutes and checked core temps-- they were right at 56-61 C. I guess there was some instability in something I had set in my old overclock, don't think anything overheated.
            thanks a lot--rclark
            Last edited by rclark; 02-03-2012, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Hey Wazza--good grief you are fast !!! I will surely do as instructed. I gotta do some home projects today ( making good with what nature offers on the side of weather for this Saturday ), also going to let my blood pressure stabilize from the scare of this from last night--ha !!!! May I ask one other question, I seem to remember reading somewhere that sometimes it is best to disable "turbo" mode for some 930 overclocks and use an odd number clock ratio such as 21 for the multiplier,I think it was said that even number ones added instability problems or something. So for me just use 21X and use a bclk of 168 = 3.53, then I am stumped as to what to use as memory multiplier, 8 or 10, I tend to think 8 is the safe thing to do. Well, I may be making a mountain out of a mole hill here--ha !!! I will just stick to your recommendation and leave this alone, this has just been a question in my mind for a while, ( I guess everyone has their ways of overclocking ),
              thanks again Wazza--rclark

Comment

its up to you on whether to disable turbo and use 21x or not,test with first and if stable then no real need to change ect
                Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Thanks Wazza, I am going to try to get the 160 bclk with turbo enabled, it's a good round number, and will give me a perfect 1600 with the multiplier of 10 for memory.
                  I'll post after I have time to check and experiment again with this. thanks very much for all the advice --rclark

Comment

Hey you all,
                    Well I had tried qpi/vtt all the way up to 1.415 and the pc would still just shut down after getting to the windows screen. I tried reducing qpi/vtt and same thing. I am now thinking something else may need tweaking ( cpu voltage maybe ), but again,it is really not that big of a deal. I guess for me it just seems better to be at 3.5 vs 2.9 ghz but it is so close in performance I can definitely accept things as they are. I wanted to give the pc a break, too many restarts--ha !!! Everything is stable at stock speeds and settings.
                    thanks again for all the recommendations--rclark

Comment

try with just 1.315v for qpi/vtt and try with one or two clicks more cpu voltage,depends what amount you used last time for 3.5ghz
                      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                      Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Thanks Wazza,
                        Next time around I sure will do this,
                        thanks--rclark

Comment

I am finding that if I go in my bios and just change something and then change it back to its original default setting, the pc will just shut down after rebooting. I am wondering if there is something else starting to go on here. Is it bad to just
                          go back to my old FA Bios ? Can a non beta bios cause instability issues or do you think the bios chip may have gotten fouled some how--- weird stuff. I guess this issue could be a bad stick of memory or power supply related but it is strange it happened
                          with this bios update. thanks again for any feed back--rclark

Comment

yes you can always flash back to your older bios,you only need to update your bios if you run into problems,i still use an older bios f12 on my ud5,i just find it more stable
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

I think I will do this Wazza. To go back to FA that is a 1 mb file vs the current 2mb FH, do I need to use @bios again ?
                              thanks --rclark

Comment

Working...
                              X