Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

first bios update on X-58 ud3-r rev.2 ( question)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: first bios update on X-58 ud3-r rev.2 ( question)

Hey Wazza and Acbmxer,
    Thanks for the information. I have tried QPI/VTT up to 1.35 and it had no effect. I had tried c1/c3/c7 at enable and disable with no effect. EIST is enabled--sorry I did not show this. I was looking or CIA2 and could not find this, so I am not sure what this is set to. In regards to your question Acbmxer concerning what happens when I reboot, once I set the settings as listed it will boot to desk top. I can run things sometimes without any problem, however if I reboot without going from bios to desktop the pc will boot to desktop and then within a minute or so, shut down. When it shuts down, there are no beeps,no blue screens, no display driver warnings, it is as if you just power things off. Strange thing, there was no problem like this before I flashed the bios, everything ran very stable at the 3.5 clock. The only reason I thought to upgrade the bios was that my new Nvidia card (MSI GTX 560 Ti 2gb), had a driver issue with the newer Nvidia drivers,so many others did also, and everyone pretty much was saying it was a definite driver problem and just stay with the 275.33 drivers until they resolve this. A few others said the only reason the newer drivers were not working with so many is due to folks not updating there bios to the most recent stable edition or unstable overclocks. To rule out a bios issue I thought this would be a good time to learn how to flash a bios and that was my demise. I had to use @bios to go from my FA ( 1 mb) to the most recent stable FH bios which was 2mb. It all did fine, I use your tutorial to the tee--thanks again !!! However, since flashing the bios I was having these power shut downs even with optimized setting. Using the FF bios has at least allowed me to run things at stock settings but I am a bit disappointed not being able to get things back. It would be great to know what is causing this, I have thought that it may be memory related but why would it just start after updating bios? I even reflashed my old bios which I did save and the power off thing still happens. It is like a timing issue is off somehow. Everyone says that if there was a problem with the bios it would not even boot, do you all think maybe purchasing 8 gb of new ram would be an interesting test for this or would I be wasting money and time. I have been wondering if I should contact Gigabyte for a possible board, return, however I am at fault here and hate to add to an already messed up economy by folks abusing the system. Well, enough of this book I am writing--ha !!! I am all ears you all, you have been such good support and help as always--thanks so much --rclark ( forgot to mention--Acebmxer, I use Prime95 for stress testing )
    Last edited by rclark; 02-03-2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

i think whatever you did,checking cpu pins or memory or bios update disturbed something and thats giving you issues,esp seeing you had one memory stick missing in bios before and now its working,i would remove cmos battery,leave out overnight if you can to give it 100% chance of clearing it,then put in and load optimized defaults again in bios and re enter your old oc/bios settings then see if its any better if not maybe slight voltage tweak and then if still problems i dont know what it could be
      Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
      Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
      Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
      Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
      1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
      1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
      Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
      Razer Lycosa Keyboard
      Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
      Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
      K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
      L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
      Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
      Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
      http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
      Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks Wazza, I'll give it a go and see what happens. --rclark--

Comment

I meant don't used DVID, IE set to disabled and manually set your own Vcore with LLC level 1 set.

CIA2 is not in these boards, so that's why you aren't finding it.

Try these and see if it works

Code:
              Advanced CPU Features:
              CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [21x]
              Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]  << Disable, set 21 above, use 21 only (Some CPU's hate even multi's and with turbo enabled and 21 set you'd be using x22)
              CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
              CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Auto]  << Disable for now, enabled later if you want speedstep to function (CPU downclocks when idle)
              C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Auto] << Disable for now, enabled later if you want speedstep to function (CPU downclocks when idle)
              CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
              CPU EIST Function ............................ [Auto] << Disable for now, enabled later if you want speedstep to function (CPU downclocks when idle)
              Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled] << Disabled if you do not use Vmware or Virtual PC Programs
              Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
              QPI Link Speed .............................. x36
              Uncore Frequency .......................... 21 (Always 2x memory Multi or 2x +1)  << Set 20 or 21 (21 may require more QPI/Vtt)
              Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
              Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
              BCLK Frequency (MHz) .....................166
              PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100]

Advanced Clock Control:
              CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
              PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
              CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
              IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
              Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]  << Set Extreme
              Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled]
              System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [10]
              DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Quickl] only options --auto,quick,expert  << Choose Expert, then set each channels main timings one by one, don't forget a channel :)

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
              ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
              CAS Latency Time ......................9
              tRCD .......................................9
              tRP .........................................9
              tRAS .......................................24

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control## ---
              tRC ........................................auto (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)
              tRRD .......................................auto
              tWTR ......................................auto (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)
              tWR ........................................auto
              tWTP .......................................auto (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)
              tWL ........................................auto (tWL Must be CAS Latency -1)
              tRFC .......................................auto
              tRTP .......................................auto
              tFAW ......................................auto
              Command Rate (CMD) ................auto  << Set 1T

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
              Round Trip Latency ...................auto
              B2B CAS Delay ..........................auto

Advanced Voltage Control:
              CPU
              Load Line Calibration ................. [Standard] can not disable ( only standard and two other profile choices ) Set Level 1
              CPU Vcore ...............................1.27500V__Normal   Set 1.275 or 1.275-1.35, might need a little bump depending on your CPU.   If you want to stay at stock value and try, manually set what you see as stock value.   
          If it continues to fail, raise to suggested just to see if leaving it at stock is what's causing the failure, then you can decide if you want to run 3.5 or not.   If you have to raise it you have to raise it, otherwise you'll need to 
          use a slower clock speed if you are set on leaving Vcore at stock.

QPI/VTT Voltage 1.185v ............1.295V   << 1.15-1.35
              CPU PLL 1.800v .......................Auto  << 1.6-1.8

MCH/ICH
              PCIE 1.500v ........................... 1.5
              QPI PLL 1.100v ....................... 1.2
              IOH Core 1.100v ..................... set 1.14-1.2
              ICH I/O 1.500v ....................... 1.5
              ICH Core 1.1v ........................ 1.1

DRAM
              DRAM Voltage 1.500v ..............1.66
              DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]

Comment

Hey Wazza and Lsdmeasap,
            Wazza, I tried the clear cmos from last night per your directions, unfortunately made no difference. I will try the settings Lsdmeasap provided and see what happens. After this I really do not feel comfortable taking your time ( and forum space ) up on this, this was a problem I instigated and have learned a lot, so that is a good thing. Having a board in which I can only run my cpu at default values, ( well, if this is the worst of my problems, life is pretty good--ha !!! ) Another really good thing from this is having folks you really don't know well,who have reached out to help---a very cool thing indeed !!! I'll give those settings a try Lsdmeasap and see what happens, again to you all, a big thanks and I really am sorry this has dragged on this long--it is another Robby moment ( ie when I mess something up, I "Really" mess things up--- ha !!! ) take care--rclark ( quick update---pc had just powered off at default values now--so it appears to be random at any setting--could this be memory related--thanks)
            Last edited by rclark; 02-04-2012, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Hey Lsdmeasap and others,
              I was using your settings for the bios in half steps to try to figure out where the problem with instability might be ( if it can be corrected )--hope you don't take this as insubordination--ha !! Anyway the main things I wanted to switch first was to do with the advance voltage settings you recommended under " advance voltage control ",(changes in bold below). Well, so far I have done 5 restarts, all booted fine, ran prime 95 for 1/2 hour temps 70 68 71 67 ( these are a little higher than I have seen,could be I need to redo the line of MX4 on the H50, but I think they are ok for now ). I then shut the pc down for a while to do a cold start and all popped up fine, no power off. The power off I mentioned in the above post does have me a little baffled but we will see what happens with these settings. You know, I sure don't know much about this as you can tell, but I am wondering if the memory I am using is just a bit wobbly,ie it needs a bit more encouragement through the settings you recommended to run more stable, I guess time will tell. Again, to you all thanks so much, as for now I am legitimately back to 3.5 ghz ( amazingly encouraging ). --rclark--

CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [21x]
              Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
              CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
              CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Enabled]
              C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Enabled]
              CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
              CPU EIST Function ............................ [Enabled]
              Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled] << Disabled if you do not use Vmware or Virtual PC Programs
              Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
              QPI Link Speed .............................. x36
              Uncore Frequency .......................... 21 (Always 2x memory Multi or 2x +1)
              Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
              Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
              BCLK Frequency (MHz) .....................160
              PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]---could not find this in my bios--FF

Advanced Clock Control:
              CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
              PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
              CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
              IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
              Performance Enhance ...................... [Standard]
              Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ......... [Disabled]
              System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........ [10]
              DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) .......... [Quickl] only options --auto,quick,expert

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
              ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
              CAS Latency Time ......................9
              tRCD .......................................9
              tRP .........................................9
              tRAS .......................................24

Below values may be left in Auto if you like, generally this is fine. For those users who DO Set advanced timings manually, please see some of my thoughts and findings about these settings and rules here
              XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Gigabyte EX58-UD5/Extreme Discussion Thread

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control## ---
              tRC ........................................auto (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)
              tRRD .......................................auto
              tWTR ......................................auto (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)
              tWR ........................................auto
              tWTP .......................................auto (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)
              tWL ........................................auto (tWL Must be CAS Latency -1)
              tRFC .......................................auto
              tRTP .......................................auto
              tFAW ......................................auto
              Command Rate (CMD) ................auto

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
              Round Trip Latency ...................auto

B2B CAS Delay ..........................auto

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
              Load Line Calibration ................. [Level 1] can not disable ( only standard and two other profile choices )
              CPU Vcore ...............................1.27500V__1.27500 ( set manually per recommendations )
              QPI/VTT Voltage 1.185v ............1.295V
              CPU PLL 1.800v .......................1.800
              MCH/ICH
              PCIE 1.500v ...........................1.500
              QPI PLL 1.100v .......................1.200
              IOH Core 1.100v .....................1.116
              ICH I/O 1.500v .......................1.500
              ICH Core 1.1v ........................1.1

DRAM
              DRAM Voltage 1.500v ..............1.66
              DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
              Last edited by rclark; 02-04-2012, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Hahaha, yesir, that is insubordination at it's finest!! J/K It's fine to do it however you want, as long as you eventually get to your intended destination!

Use expert on the memory, set each channel one at a time and don't forget any. I suggest this because I don't trust that auto sets the RTL's separately when using quick, and they all need to be different. It might, I've just never checked and thought quick was for the lazy :)

CPU
                Load Line Calibration ................. [Level 1] can not disable ( only standard and two other profile choices )
                CPU Vcore ...............................1.27500V__1.27500 ( set manually per recommendations )
                QPI/VTT Voltage 1.185v ............1.295V
                CPU PLL 1.800v .......................1.800
                MCH/ICH
                PCIE 1.500v ...........................1.500
                QPI PLL 1.100v .......................1.200
                IOH Core 1.100v .....................1.116
                ICH I/O 1.500v .......................1.500
                ICH Core 1.1v ........................1.1

^^ All looks good, you can use Auto for LLC or I suggest Level 1 ^^

What BSOD's are you getting when you try things that fail?

0X00000050 << Incorrect Memory Timing/Freq or Uncore Multi
                0X00000124 << Incorrect QPI/Vtt Voltage (To Much/Not Enough)
                0X00000101 << Not enough Vcore Voltage
                0X00000109 << Not enough or too Much memory voltage

Comment

Hey Lsdmeasap, I will surely and go change these as advised, your advice has been right on. I understand your thinking with things on auto--I don't trust auto much in any application--ha!!!
                  In setting the memory timings manually,is this inclusive to the Channel Advanced Timing Control also, ie--trc,twTR,twTP,twL ? I willl be sure to change Command Rate from "Auto" to 1. It
                  was sort of unclear in my link above but I do have the LLC at "Level 1". In regards to any type of blue screens for error messages, well, there are no blue screens or anything--it just powers
                  off as if it was turned off or unplugged. It has not done this so far ( knock on wood ),with these settings. I am so glad to get this back up to 3.5 (stable). Could not have done so without your
                  help and advice, again thanks Lsdmeasap and the others for so much of your time with this, --rclark--

Comment

it could have been setting all timings for 3 dimms as apposed to quick that helped,i should have suggested this to you aswell,advanced timings should run fine on auto,only set the 9-9-9-24 and command rate to 1t
                    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Will do Wazza--- thanks so much !
                      --rclark--

Comment

You can leave all the advanced timings on auto, they'll be fine, just set your main and cmd rate for each channel and that should be plenty.

So, when you try these settings you say it powers off. Is this while in windows, or before you can even get there? if it's in windows, try to get in there as fast as you can and run LinX or OCCT and see what BSOD you get, if any.

What RTL is showing for each channel with these settings, after you save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS?

Comment

Hey Lsdmeasap,
                          Here is the info you asked for, ( RTL for Channel A--64, Channel B--67, Channel C--67 )
                          I don't won't to jinx things here, but I am glad to report that I have had no power off's with these settings. All settings in bios are per your recommendations as of yesterday afternoon ( Sunday 2/5 ) !! I hate to admit that I found that somehow my power settings in system had been changed somehow to put computer to sleep (20 min's if idle )--good grief !!! I reset setting for monitor and pc to never be put to beddy bye--don't know how this happened.( man am I sorry about not catching this !!! ) This was probably the thing that caused the pc to power down a while back ( before these settings when everything was just set to optimal settings ). I guess I have restarted this thing about 8 times from yesterday afternoon to check stability during boot up and all has gone really well. Also ,no shut downs while pc was on except for sleep mode thing mentioned which I changed--this did scare the heck out of me --ha !!! I did go back through and reinstall my old Nvidia driver ( very clean install that is ) , to make sure nothing was corrupt there--- That is about it,, kinda boring -huhhh !! --ha !!!
                          I'll let you know if anything funky happens ,I believe you remedied the situation. I guess my question is ,did I do something wrong in a bios flash or is this something that can happen after a bios flash,ie, settings you used before will not necessarily work again. I tend to think with all the manual voltage settings and tweaks you recommended will make this even more solid running. Well listen, I owe you and the rest a big thank-you--- THANK-YOU Lsdmeasap and ALL-- see ya around the forum for sure---rclark
                          Man, I forgot to ask one other thing, one of these days when this Newegg.com - Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 12GB &#40;3 x 4GB&#41; 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 &#40;PC3 12800&#41; Desktop Memory Model 998776 goes on sale, I may upgrade to this memory. Do I keep all the voltage settings as per your recommendations, I know I may up the qpi/vtt a bit but that other stuff I am not sure of--- thanks again --rclark
                          Last edited by rclark; 02-06-2012, 06:36 PM.

Comment

If you find RTL's that work for you in auto, you can manually set them and they should work as well. Lower is better on those, but you have to lower them in a certain manner but you can tweak that dead last if you want, after you get everything else stable and where you wanted.

Nice to hear it's stable again! Is that with an overclock? Windows power plan resetting isn't BIOS related, not sure how that would happen to you? Be sure you also set CPU Min/Max to 100%, if you are not using EIST that is.

And yes, old BIOS settings will not always work with new BIOSes, it's always best to start over again like day one, tweak from nothing until you get stable. As for your memory, yes you'd keep memory voltage at 1.66, but you might need to tinker with QPI/Vtt again (More or less). If you are memory overclocking, keep in mind 4GB modules don't overclock nearly as well as 2GB ones, but if you just run them at stock nothing to worry about They are on sale now @ $69

Comment

Hey Lsdmeasap,
                              Oh,I may have forgot to say that the best part is that all appears stable at the 3.5 overclock---whew !!! A little extra time before needing to upgrade--- -- Thanks for the recommendations on RTL, at this point I'll leave them on auto--I am afraid to tinker with anything anymore, I get the willies just going into the bios anymore--ha !!! I tend to think the power setting got reset during one of the many shut downs and reboots where window searched for a problem in a couple of the reboots ( who knows ?) Again, I really can't thank you enough for such great help and advice !!
                              --rclark--

Comment

Nice to see your overclock is stable for you now! And thanks for the kind words, we're always happy to help!

You can always save your current settings in the BIOS to a profile, then you can tinker around with higher overclocks or tweak other settings, and still have the stable ones to go back to anytime you need. Use F11 on the MAIN page of the BIOS to save profiles, and F12 to load.

Comment

Working...
                                X