Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-H61N-USB3 POST loop with PCIe 1x wireless NIC installed

Hey y'all, first post here so go easy, please? :D

So have just built an HTPC based on this board and a Core i3 2125. All works good until I plug an Edimax 7612 (Realtek 8192CE chipset) wireless N card into the PCI Express port. System won't POST - it powers up for a couple of seconds, shuts down, pauses for a few seconds then repeats ad infinitum.

I've tried the NIC in my Z68X-UD7-B3 system and it works fine. I've also tried a PCIe 1x SATA card in the H61 box and again everything works, so sounds like some sort of incompatibility with the Realtek LAN card and the H61N-USB3. Maybe it's trying to enumerate the card as a VGA adapter or something equally dumb?

I've tried the F3 and F4B BIOSes, have checked it's set to start from the onboard VGA (and have run through all the different options there without altering the system's behaviour) so can't think what else to try. Gigabyte support tends not to be the fastest so I thought I'd ask here first whether anyone else has run up against or solved a problem like this? TIA!
    Last edited by Citizen Crazed; 02-07-2012, 12:13 PM.

Re: GA-H61N-USB3 POST loop with PCIe 1x wireless NIC installed

Gigabyte support would really be the only ones who could help with this, sorry we can't ourselves!

I know they can be slow, but it's just because they are busy, they will get back with you on your ticket! Only they can help because they'll need to replicate the issue with the exact same or similar wireless card, then they will try to correct it from within the BIOS. You do have a ticket with them right? If not, please start a ticket here and include your full system details and all model numbers and info you can on the problematic wireless card
    GIGABYTE - Support & Downloads - Technical Support

I think someone else is having a similar issue too, posted at the UK forums, but I haven't had a chance to check threads there today so not sure if that's you or not. So please let us know how things work out, in case that isn't you so we can pass along any info you find!

Comment

Maybe it conflict with the onboard lam or another device, try to disable those you don't use.
      Does it work in the Z68X-UD7 in a PCIe x16 slot?

EDIT: Also try to set Init Display First Omboard, and Onboard VGA Always Enabled.
      Last edited by Chike; 02-08-2012, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Hi guys, thanks for the comments. Lsdmeasap, I opened a ticket at GGTS immediately after starting this thread so we'll see what happens. My last experience of them was when I was having issues with the early GA-Z68X-UD7-B3 BIOS, and back then I didn't just find them slow, they acted as though they hadn't even bothered reading the information I'd sent, which wasn't exactly encouraging. Hope this experience is a bit more positive.

Ironically I'm posting from the UK but had joined this forum because of the difficulties guys like Runn3R, Absic and Dark Mantis there have getting comms and support from the manufacturer. I've found the thread you were talking about on the UK board. It isn't me, altho there is a commonality in that I used the same case/PSU (Thermaltake Element Q 220W). However the system still misbehaves powered running off a Corsair AX850, so there doesn't seem to be any causal factor there.

Chike, yes, already tried disabling the onboard NIC and going through all the different ways the onboard VGA and PCIe can be configured, no luck, and, yes, the WNIC was fine running in a 16x slot on the UD7. I tried contacting Edimax technical support too - and got an email back from them within about four hours, altho they weren't aware of a reason why this should be a problem. Looks like the ball is in GGTS' court.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your previous experiance! I've heard similar many times in the past, so I think it may just come down to translation issues, so try to keep your replies short and informative.

It might even help to translate to simple Chinese yourself, then back to english to make sure the translation says exactly what you mean (If not change it until it does), then send the your comments in Chinese at the top and English at the bottom.

Runn3R works for Gigabyte, at their offices, so he shouldn't have any communication difficulties? Hopefully support will be more helpful this time around!

The problem sounds similar to this one, something non-graphical in the graphics slot causing boot issues, they are working to solve this. So if you feel it's related or similar, go ahead and also include this link in your next reply to tech support
          Gigabyte GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3 is faulty, and accepted by Gigabyte

Comment

Working...
          X