Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking @ A New Build - Been Out Of It A While - Help Me Spend My Money

Originally posted by boondocks View Post
    You gonna pull that top fan off, or setup a push/pull?
    It came with that 140mm fan. I'll remove it and slap the kit up there with the fans on top pulling in. Unless I learn different from you guys. I almost ordered coolant with it but have heard not to. Is there something I can get at Homedepot? Talk to me.

The case has 2 120mm fans pulling in the front, 1 120mm pushing out the back, a 120mm fan on the door pulling in, and a place I can add a 120mm or 140mm on the bottom in front of the PSU.

I am trying to figure out how to keep from pressurizing the case to a Mexican stand-off, heh! I seen your post on the fan controller but need to read it again. That is something I need to study. I take it I will not be plugging this thing into a sysfan or cpu header?

I'm holding off for newegg promos as long as I can for the other stuff. Its hard. The promo on the Win7 and RAM was nice. They just had ASUS board codes. I'm-a-waitin as long as I can. CPU's still out of stock!

OP List Updated
    Last edited by 2therock; 05-15-2012, 04:45 PM.
    Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H WB Motherboard
    Intel Ivy Bridge i7 3770K clocked @ 4.5GHz
    16GB Kingston Hyper-X Genesis 2133 RAM
    Water cooling by XSPC RASA RS240 Kit
    Sapphire HD 6850 1GB DDR5 GPU
    1TB - RAID1 setup with Western Digital 6GB/Sec Drives
    Corsair HX750W Professional PSU
    Windows 7 Professional (x64) Build 7601

Comment

many people have their own opinion on what coolant to use in a loop. Some people just use distilled water in their loops, some people buy the speciality stuff. And don't believe any advertising about coolant that is non-conductive... that's a hoax... unless it's mineral oil (which doesn't work well in a loop as it's too thick).

I know a guy who used pre-mixed automotive Radiator coolant, Prestone... I've used just distilled water myself... but everyone will have their own opinion.

Vin
      Main Rig
      OS = Win10-64Bit
      CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
      Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
      MB = Asus ROG C6H
      GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
      HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
      PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
      Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
      OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
      CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
      Mem = 24GB RAM
      MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
      GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
      HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
      Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
      PSU = Corsair TX750
      Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by Vinster View Post
        many people have their own opinion on what coolant to use in a loop. Some people just use distilled water in their loops, some people buy the speciality stuff. And don't believe any advertising about coolant that is non-conductive... that's a hoax... unless it's mineral oil (which doesn't work well in a loop as it's too thick).

I know a guy who used pre-mixed automotive Radiator coolant, Prestone... I've used just distilled water myself... but everyone will have their own opinion.
        Vin
        Thanks, I have been reading and am going the Distilled route also. I have ordered the Nuke drops also.

Comment

Could not get on the forum last night.TT needs more bandwidth, this is getting to be often!! /rant over.

Silver kill coil? Just drop in the reservoir and forget it.
          I'm running UV fluid but yeah distilled is OK from what I'm told. I'm adding some UV fans to my rad a)because the Yate Loons are quieter, I hope b) it should look cool.

Haven't decided on graphics card yet, eh? I don't game much and I'm going to put my 2nd 6850 back in now that I have a working HDMI switch so I can share 1 monitor with 2 pc's.
          Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
          Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
          PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
          Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
          Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
          HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
          SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Getting back to the fan controller thing, Acebmxer and I had talked about looking for a controller that had the heat sinks and I thought it was a good idea and so got the Rheobus Extreme which has them. Is it absolutely necessary? I doubt it but good insurance IF you will at any point be running a higher current draw on any of the circuits (for example 2 fans on one circuit). BTW the Rheobus Extreme has bright blue LED knobs that illuminate when active and might not be for everybody. I don't particularly like it but the unit seems robust and includes wiring to monitor 2 fan headers (or I can show you how to build your own so you can run straight from PSU/fan controller and still monitor speed)
            Having said that I ran a dual fan Noctua NH-D14 off 1 fan header for a long time with no problems. What Gigabyte told me is that the UD5H board fan headers are good for 1A, although they suggest not to run more than 1 fan per header.
            I am running both of the XSPC fans off one controller circuit and monitoring off the cpu fan header. Also doing similar with my front and rear fans and just need to patch together one more set to monitor my side fan.
            PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
            Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30

Comment

Patch cable for fan controller to monitor rpm's from fan header. The female connector with yellow and black plugs into an available fan header on mobo and allows to monitor rpm's.
              The male connector only has 3 pins and is made to be compatible with a 4 pin cpu fan, but you could substitute an open style male 3 pin.
              To connect your two radiator fans to this, first connect the fans to a Y connector then to the male connector. BUT some Y's are made correctly with the yellow rpm wire missing from ONE leg, if not you can always clip one.
              Some fan controllers will include a few of these wiring legs, I only had 2 so I made 1 using spare Y connectors.
              (kudos to ProfJim for answering my endless fan wiring questions)

Comment

Thanks!

Fan control is on my mind big-time right now. I will be going all Yate Loon due to past experience and with the Scythe Kaze Master Pro 5.25 Fan Controller. I am not a fan of the lights and the box will not be in an area on display anyway. But I will be firing it up with what I have just to see what they look & sound like. If the Rosewill front intake case fans put out and are quiet I may clip the LED wires eh?

Whats up with the unavailability of the 3770K @ Newegg? I went to directron and it would not allow it into the cart. Due to higher prices I have not tried Amazon or others.

Comment

they have 3770S models in stock, but I don't think it's unlocked though.

Vin

EDIT: just checked my local retailer... they have lots... http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=045423
                  Last edited by Vinster; 05-16-2012, 09:28 AM.
                  Main Rig
                  OS = Win10-64Bit
                  CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
                  Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                  MB = Asus ROG C6H
                  GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
                  HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
                  PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
                  Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
                  OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
                  CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
                  Mem = 24GB RAM
                  MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
                  GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                  HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
                  Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
                  PSU = Corsair TX750
                  Case = Define R5

Comment

you need a k series chip,all the other have a locked cpu multiplier which means no overclocking or very limited through the base clock
                    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Search Results : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Comment

Yes, I'm Sticking with the 3770K.

I just ordered the rest of my stuff. Almost forgot the burner. I went with the WiFi MoBo Board.

Thank You,

I just got a response from Directron

The reason you cannot add it to your cart is because we just sold out and the inventory is pending. The site will update shortly to reflect this. We are expecting more in on 05/21 or 05/22. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please let us know if you need further assistance. Thank you!

George Allen
                        Customer Service
                        Directron.com

Comment

OK Guys,

Its all on order but for the CPU. While I wait I would enjoy hearing suggestions on any carte blanch BIOS settings that are customary?
                          I am not interested in clocking the CPU as much as setting the RAM up to optimization for what it is. And any common things it ships with that should be tweaked.
                          I will be running RAID1 for my OS Drive, and may have a RAID1 storage set as well. No SSD yet. Only the OS Drives will be 6GB/sec, the rest are 3GB.

For Example - I still have a sticky note on my desk that says:
                          Smart - Enable
                          HALT - Disable
                          EIST - Disable
                          My DRAM Voltage was 2.1 for the RAM I had.
                          SATA RAID - AHCI = RAID
                          Port 03 - Disabled
                          HPT - Enabled / 64 Bit
                          Legacy - Disabled

My RAM Specs -
                          SAMSUNG Model - MV-3V4G3/US[/URL]
                          Type - 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
                          Capacity - 4GB
                          Speed - DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
                          Cas Latency - 11
                          Timing - 11-11-11-28
                          Voltage - 1.35V
                          ECC - No
                          Buffered/Registered - Unbuffered
                          ==================================
                          Anything else you may have in mind would be great. I have so much to learn and catchup on like -

Radiator fan placements? Only starting out with the RASA RS240 up top so should I mount the fans above or below the Radiator? I see example pics of both around the net.
                          Flow? Pump to Block to Radiator to Reservoir?

Then there all these other fan options. There is a place to put one behind the mobo and under the case forward of the PSU. Do I push or pull? Do I even bother? If I buy fans, what speeds?

I LOVE this stuff!

Comment

for the ram id manualy set dram voltage to 1.55v and speed to 2133mhz,set timings as 10-10-10-28-1t,should run at that speed,test for stability with prime 95 blend test or memtest86,if you leave dram voltage on auto it will just use 1.35v which wont be enough for 2133mhz
                            Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                            Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                            Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                            Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                            1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                            1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                            Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                            Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                            Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                            Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                            K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                            L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                            Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                            Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                            Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks, Will do on the RAM. If you look at the newegg RAM link I added some of the guys that reviewed the RAM have posted their settings there. Nice of them too.

I seen your post on the fan controls and found some nice looking splitters @ CyberGuys.

The have a nice collection of all kinds of interesting adapters on that site too.

I love TweakTown but think she is so loaded down with sponsor content she is crashing often.

Comment

Search Results : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come
                                Same price as Newegg was on cpu. I was trying to post this last night but couldn't even get on the forum.
                                Push on the fans at top inside of case if you can would be my suggestion. If you want quieter fans go Yate Loon or Gentle Typhoons is what I've been told. I've got a couple of the Yate Loon w/UV coming today I hope.
                                I think the fpi (fins per inch) on the RS240 is 14? That would probably require more static pressure than my RX240 which I think is about 8 fpi.

Comment

Working...
                                X