z77x-ud5h auto tuning.... safe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• z77x-ud5h auto tuning.... safe?

I had a z68 ud3h that died recently, not sure if I'm even going to RMA it as the board has been horrible. In any case, I picked up the z77x-ud5h, only downside so far is that I can't use my Corsair K60 keyboard to get into bios (can't use it at all until the windows login screen appears). So that aside, I have a i2600k on water. On the z68 ud3h the most I could get was 4.6ghz. With the z77x ud5h 4.6ghz was easy (lower voltages and temps compared to the z68 ud3h) but I can't go any higher still. However, if I use autotune that takes me all the way to 5.4ghz but with 1.54 volts. Temps never go above 71c running p95 or ibt for hours (6+) on end. On water what's a "safe" voltage for 24/7 use?

Re: z77x-ud5h auto tuning.... safe?

I could be wrong but I believe I read somewhere it to be 1.4V

Comment

Which temps are temps? There are temps and there are different temps.
      If those are CPU temps (T-Case) that may be the max the CPU go and then it begins to throttle.
      Core temps are usually used in this form, read by Core Temp/RealTemp/AIDA and other software.
      Max SB VID/absolute vcore is 1.52 by Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
        Which temps are temps? There are temps and there are different temps.
        If those are CPU temps (T-Case) that may be the max the CPU go and then it begins to throttle.
        Core temps are usually used in this form, read by Core Temp/RealTemp/AIDA and other software.
        Max SB VID/absolute vcore is 1.52 by Intel.

Then I guess it's a good thing I got the no questions asked warranty coverage from Intel....... And if 1.52 is the max why would gigabyte allow their autotune to use vcore higher then that? It spent 6hrs or so running p95 at those settings...... Before I got water cooling I've seen the CPU hit much higher then 71C.

Comment

Then what does it measure and in what accuracy? Intel's specs are max 72C

Comment

I had a z68 ud3h that died recently, not sure if I'm even going to RMA it as the board has been horrible.
            RMA your dead z68 motherboard.
            You only have to pay shipping cost to Gigabyte.
            When your board is returned, verify that it works at stock settings and then sell it to get back some of your money.

You must install the original plastic cpu socket cover before shipping your motherboard.
            If you fail to do this, they will not repair or replace your motherboard.
            Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
            P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
            4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
            MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
            Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
            WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
            Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
            SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
            Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
            Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
            Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
            MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
            Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
            HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
            CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
            E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
            Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
            Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
            HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
            win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

which version of BIOS you using? maybe you can contact Gigabyte ask them for the latest beta BIOS and it could fix the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Hyper530 View Post
                which version of BIOS you using? maybe you can contact Gigabyte ask them for the latest beta BIOS and it could fix the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Flak View Post
                  I had a z68 ud3h that died recently, not sure if I'm even going to RMA it as the board has been horrible. In any case, I picked up the z77x-ud5h, only downside so far is that I can't use my Corsair K60 keyboard to get into bios (can't use it at all until the windows login screen appears). So that aside, I have a i2600k on water. On the z68 ud3h the most I could get was 4.6ghz. With the z77x ud5h 4.6ghz was easy (lower voltages and temps compared to the z68 ud3h) but I can't go any higher still. However, if I use autotune that takes me all the way to 5.4ghz but with 1.54 volts. Temps never go above 71c running p95 or ibt for hours (6+) on end. On water what's a "safe" voltage for 24/7 use?
                  In a word, no. If you want to OC do it right and research how to oc your cpu. Lots of information on how to oc the i7-2600k. keep your temps in the 8o's and vcore below 1.4 on air. autotune is ok for low or moderate oc I guess but if you are really looking for your max oc then do it manually as then you'll know what aspect of the oc is holding you back. The Ud5 is a great oc board and there are lots of things to play with in your oc. See this guide as a starting point. I know it says ivy and you have sandy but he uses a UD5 and I would think most of it would still apply to the sandy as well.

**Ivy Bridge Overclocking Guide** (with LN2 Guide at The End)

Last edited by barkeater; 06-06-2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X