New UEFI Bios question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New UEFI Bios question

Using a z68a-d3-b3. I upgraded from bios to the new uefi. With the true efi, i expected to be able to boot into an efi windows 7 setup mode.

However, the windows 7 setup still doesn't detect and boot into efi mode. This is evident by the fact it wont let you install onto a gpt partition, but lets you install onto a partition with an mbr.

Re: New UEFI Bios question

In BIOS menu make sure the boot mode and boot option are "UEFI"

Comment

In this uefi interface the only option that talks about efi is "pci rom priority", which is set to "efi compatible". Otherwise i assume its all automatically set to boot preferably to efi setup. I've checked the disc and there is an efi bootmgr so it should work. But it always wants to boot in bios mode (non-uefi)

Comment

Is it possible that I need to update the RAID rom firmware, as this gpt partition are on a raid 0 array?
        Last edited by oaiwynawyo8c5ra385ao235o2; 09-17-2012, 05:58 PM.

Comment

I think no need to update the RAID ROM. Make sure: 1. all MBR partitions must be completely deleted before make a GPT partition 2. BIOS setting

Comment

Same problem here.
            MOBO: GA-X79-UD3 v1_0 (F10)
            When I initially installed to a new Crucial M4 128GB SSD, UEFI bios showed drive C to be "UEFI:". However, after reinstall of OS, UEFI bios shows M4 drive (without UEFI before it) and "Windows Boot Manager" instead. Here are the steps I followed:
            - In Gigabyte BIOS:
            -- Kept all Intel X79 and Marvell Controllers set to "SATA".
            -- Used F12 to set boot drive to "UEFI: USB DVD drive" (Windows asks for driver for internal bluray drive which I don't have).
            - Using UEFI: USB DVD drive, boot using WIN 7 Pro 64bit DVD.
            - Load drivers from Gigabyte MOBO Driver DVD:
            -- BootDrv>iRST>64Bit (IAStorA.inf) then Click NEXT
            -- BootDrv>Marvell>RAID>AMD64 (MV91xx.inf) then Click NEXT
            - Delete all 3 existing OS disk partitions from M4 drive.
            - Insert WIN7Pro64bit DVD.
            - Press "Shift-F10".
            - Type "diskpart"
            - Type "list disk" (disk 0 is Crucial M4 128GB drive)
            - Type "select disk 0"
            - Type "Clean" to remove partitions.
            - Type "Convert GPT".
            - Type "exit" & click cmd screen off.
            - Click "NEW" to have Windows create GPT partitions on M4 Drive.
            - Click on "Disk 0 Partition 3", Format partition 3, then click "NEXT".
            - Windows installs.
            Reboot to UEFI bios and M4 drive still doesn't show a "UEFI:M4..." option to set as primary boot device.

I'd appreciate any hints, tips or tricks I can try to get my htpc system setup correctly. Thanks for your time.

Comment

Hi All,
              I had a similar issue, i had to boot using USB to select a UEFI boot and then it would allow me to install windows 8 and create GPT partition. It wouldn't allow me to do it via DVD drive.

However on reset, it looks like sometimes it cant find the EFI file quick enough, and gives me no boot disk issue.

Now when i go back to bios, like dons issue, sometimes I dont see the "UEFI: boot drive" options.
              I can restart or shutdown for awhile, and it will detect properly, i then remove all boot options except the windows 8 os UEFI HDD option, but after a few resets, and shutdowns, again It goes missing.

Is there a bug where it cant read the efi file quick enough or even the efi file of some devices? and is there a way to force it to always only boot off UEFI?

My mobo is z68ma-d2h-b3 v1.0 with U1b firmware

Comment

Working...
              X