GA-EX58A-UD7 behaving badly - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58A-UD7 behaving badly - help please

My Win7-64 system has been running fine for over 2 1/2 years. Suddenly, it has been locking up and having other problems that I can't pin down. I would appreciate any help from the knowledgeable people on this forum.

The first issue is that the system boot, about half the time, beeps once with a longer than normal single beep, the temperature LED's stay all on and no video appears on the screen at all. The boot then seems to halt, with no disk activity, until I force a shut down with the power button, which by the way then shuts off instantly rather than the usual 4 second button hold being required. This is all happening before anything appears on the monitor - no boot up files, Gigabyte logo, nothing.

The second issue is that, on the times that I am able to successfully boot into Windows, the system will randomly lock up - with no correlation to use of a particular software item. It happens when in Firefox, when playing a Windows built-in game (backgammon), etc. The system will just freeze - no cursor movement possible, no Start Menu button, no keyboard presses - nothing works. The video is still displayed, in its frozen state.

I don't know whether this could be an issue with the power supply, the Gigabyte board, memory sticks, SSD (boot drive, along with some programs), hard drive (main drive for programs and storage), or anything else. All system fans are running and I see no unusual temperatures. Crystal Disk Info reports SSD and HD are "Good", though there are some coded entries in the error categories. CPUid reports RAM running at desired specs, set in BIOS.

I am wondering if perhaps the button CMOS battery could be dying. How does one check that?

How should I try to diagnose this?

Some system specs: EX58A-UD7, Sapphire Radeon 4850, Patriot Torx 64GB SSD, Seagate 1GB Barracuda, 6GB Mushkin RAM, Intel 920 CPU, Seasonic 650 watt (I think) PSU.

Help/ideas please. Thanks.
    Last edited by ed1; 09-15-2012, 05:05 PM.

Re: GA-EX58A-UD7 behaving badly - help please

Are you using the latest mb BIOS? And has it done this since adding your ssd?

It's not the cmos battery,it could be ram related or ram settings,tell me what dram and qpi/vtt voltages your using
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks, wazza.

I am using the latest BIOS - F9d. I've used it for probably a year and a half without problems.

The SSD was installed as part of the initial system build. No changes made to hardware.

I recently noticed that the RAM was not running to rated specs., so I did enter the BIOS and saved to CMOS. I thought I made no voltage or other changes, but perhaps I did. I just now checked the settings in the BIOS and made a couple of changes to match my desired settings and resaved to CMOS.

DRAM voltage is 1.64v. QPI/Vtt voltage is set to 1.175. RAM is set to run at 6-7-6-18-1T at 1500mhz.

So far, startup was OK and no lockups.

I have many other voltage settings set to NORMAL. Is this OK?

I have some notes that I once set QPI/Vtt to 1.275v and also notes about setting it to NORMAL, but it is at 1.175 now. Is this OK?

How long does the button battery last? Is it a lithium battery (that lasts 10 years)? How does one know when it is depleted? If it is depleted, will the BIOS settings be lost? Will the computer boot at all if the battery is depleted or missing?

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

Comment

when the cmos battery is drained or failing usually it resets the bios and the date/time ect,personally i dont think its this

your qpi/vtt is on the lowish side,1.275v would be the normal amount imo even at stiock clocks id use around the 1.3v mark,dram voltage is fine at 1.64v,it will randomly freeze and lock up if qpi/vtt is too low
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!

Comment

OK, thanks, wazza.

Comment

I forgot to mention one more thing. When I checked the RAM voltage in the BIOS, I noticed that Round Trip Latency was set to AUTO for Channels A, B and C. However, the first column (in white) shows 50 for Channel A and 52 for Channels B and C.

Does this matter at all?

Comment

i dont think it would matter,you can manually set it to 52 yourself just to see if it improves stability
              Razer Lycosa Keyboard
              Fractal Arc Midi Case

Comment

Working...
              X