GA-Z68XP-UD3 BIOS Recovery Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-Z68XP-UD3 BIOS Recovery Failed

(This is a new machine, and everything was working fine)

So basically I sucessfully flashed the BIOS to UEFI then back to version F8 using MS-DOS method. But then after a reboot a DualBios menu popped up saying that there was a BIOS Error and it started to recover my BIOS, but suddenly my power shuts off and now the motherboard turns on but immediantly shuts off again, doing this over and over again. I can hear a very short *tick* from the BIOS speaker while it tries to boot up.

What can I do?

Re: GA-Z68XP-UD3 BIOS Recovery Failed

Also I forgot to say make sure all devices are unplugged from the system. Only thing should be connected is monitor, keyboard and mouse. Internal hardware should be down the minimum also only 1 GPU, 1 hdd/ssd, 1 stick of ram.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

The board is still in the case, but I've disconnected EVERYTHING from the motherboard, only this is a screw driver touching the CMOS Cleared pins.

Comment

I still did not manage to get it to boot up ..

This is frustrating.

Comment

Try this. Make sure to follow directions carefully and exactly. If it does not work the first time try it again.

BIOS Recover Method Via Manually Invoking BACKUP BIOS Auto-Recovery
          Using Power Supply - On/Off Switch

It is possible to make the BIOS Auto-Recovery kick in (Dual BIOS) and re-flash the MAIN BIOS with the contents of the BACKUP BIOS.

This is a simple and easy method for anyone to try before having to resort to other more difficult methods, or a RMA.

1. Shut off the power supply using the switch on the back of the PSU, wait 10-15 seconds.
          2. Press and hold the case Power On swtich, then while still holding turn on the power supply from the switch on the rear.
          3. Still holding the case power on switch, the board will start, once it does release the case power on switch and shut off the power supply via the switch on the read of the unit. (Do the latter two parts as quickly as you can once the board starts)
          4. The board will shut down.
          5. Turn the power supply back on using the switch on the rear of the unit.
          6. Turn on the motherboard by pressing the case power on button.

Once the board starts this time you should see the Gigabyte splash screen, or POST page, then the Auto-Recovery from Dual BIOS will kick in. You will see a checksum error, and then recovery from BACKUP BIOS will begin. Once it is done reboot your machine and enter the BIOS and load optimized defaults then save/apply/reboot back to BIOS.

Now you are done, and will be using whatever BIOS was in your BACKUP BIOS, From there you can attempt whatever you were previously trying, or update your BIOS to the latest version.
          Main Rig
          Gigabyte z87x-OC
          Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
          G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
          Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
          Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
          HiS ATI HD 6950
          Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
          Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
          Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
          Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
          CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
          Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
          EK Supremacy Cpu Block
          Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
          Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

Comment

I had already tried that method and everything else on :
            http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...h-failure.html with no sucess

Amazingly this worked for me :

I would not recommend it for anything doing it but after a few tries and suddenly the fans continued spinning and I heard a lot of beeps from the speakers, powered it back off and on. Then the DualBIOS menu came up and it Recovered my main BIOS successfully this time.

Thanks for all the support guys!

Comment

I have a GA-Z68XP UD3 board right now that I believe is dead. It first started when I accidentally clicked the wrong dialogue and tried to prevent the computer from restarting after an update, it got stuck, i think I ended up hitting the reset button and my bios got jacked up like it often did when things go wrong during boot/restart. Normally after some restarting I could eventually get it back. I ended up having more problems, but after reading some threads I puled the power, let the machine sit for an hour, and then I finally got the bios restore screen and my computer was booting into windows on the correct bios. However I was an idiot and shut the computer down early before it booted into windows because I had unplugged a bunch of peripherals and wanted them to be available when windows booted fully. Now I believe I am completely screwed.

I have tried every trick/bios pin shorting/battery removal etc without any luck. My situation is a little more complicated due to the fact that my backup bios is the original style bios, and the primary bios is the UEFI beta BIOS. Right now it will just boot to the old style bios, freeing immediately and not letting me do anything.

What are my options at this point? Prices for a used GA-Z68XP UD3 right now are insane so I'd never buy another one. Are there any other tricks I might be missing to try to restore it? Is buying a replacement BIOS chip an option? I see listings on ebay but am not sure if that would solve the problem and my soldering skills are pretty much non existent. Are there any other motherboards with 4 ram slots that support SLI that aren't insanely expensive like the Z68XP? I'm trying to buy some time for another year or so before replacing my system.

Thanks for any advice.

Comment

Working...
              X