Get the most out of RAM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get the most out of RAM

My question is more related to installation and set up. I have 4 sticks of KHX1600C10D3B1K2/8G (32G Total) that I upgraded to in my 1st system:

VGA: Nvidia GeForce GT520
    CPU: Intel 15-2500 3.3 GHz
    Original RAM: KHX1600c9d3/4G (16G Total)
    Operation System: Win 7 64-bit SP : 1
    Power Supply : 800 W
    MOBO: GA-Z68AP-D3(rev. 1.0)

It is working ok, but I just wanted some tech tips on maximizing on this RAM's use. BIOS settings, voltage ,etc. Not looking to go nuts with OC just get up to SPECS

My 2nd system:
    MOBO: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P Intel X58.
    RAM: KHX1600C9D3/2G HyperX (6G total)
    CPU: Intel i7 920 2.66GHz LGA1366

I'd like to upgrade it to KHX1600C9D3/4G HyperX in this system. Again, I am wondering the best settings to maximize use. Can I mix the new and old RAM?

Thank you

Re: Get the most out of RAM

going from C9 memory from C10 memory will not give you much difference in day to day use...

I'd just make sure the memory timings, voltages and Memory ratio are set appropriately so that you are using what you paid for.

have you made any adjustment in the bios?

If you could, download CPU-Z and post up screenshots of the tabs and we can go from there.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win10-64Bit
    CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
    MB = Asus ROG C6H
    GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
    HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
    CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
    Mem = 24GB RAM
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
    HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
    Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Define R5

Comment

Here's the SPD for the GA-Z68AP-D3 system. This has the new 32GB of RAM in it already running with default BIOS:

Click image for larger version

Name:	spd-pc1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	753405

Comment

Here's the RAM for the GA-Z68AP-D3 system:

Name:	ram-pc1.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	753406

sorry about the size of the pics and multiple posts, it wouldn't allow me to put more than one pic per post

Comment

Here's the SPD for the Gigabyte EX58-UD4P Intel X58 with the original RAM: KHX1600C9D3/2G HyperX (6G total)

Name:	spd-pc2.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	753407

Comment

And RAM for the Gigabyte EX58-UD4P which I like to install and upgrade to KHX1600C9D3/4G but could I mix it with the old RAM?

Name:	ram-pc2.jpg
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	753408

Comment

looks like you are doing pretty good on your z68 system.. it's running at 1600Mhz... timings are a little higher than spec but you may had needed that to run that much memory in that system.. what you can try is change it from 10-10-10-29 to 9-10-10-10-29... just decreasing the CAS... if there is no issue then change the second 10 to a 9... so then you'll be at 9-9-10-29... slowly working down to the spec 9-9-9-27...

for the EX58 you could change your timings to 9-9-9-27 and make sure your DIMM voltage is 1.65v (or 1.64v or 1.66v what ever your MB allows) then change the following

Memory Multiplier from 8x to 10x
              Uncore Frequency Multiplier from 16x to 20x maybe 21x if you have an stability issue...

but before you change any settings in the Bios I want you to save them. once you are in the Bios, press "F11" and save the profile... in case you have an issue you can return to your original settings by pressing "F12" and then you can load your previous settings.

the datasheet for your KHX1600C9D3/4G memory is available here; http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KHX1600C9D3_4G.pdf

Something else you can use to make sure the RAM is operating properly is to run Memtestx86... you need to create either a Boot CD/DVD or a bootable memory stick to run it, but it would tell you if you are in a good starting point before going to play with windows... if you have no issues running a few passed of Memtestx86 then the likely hood of corrupting windows if much slimmer (doesn't happen often but can)

you can download Memtestx86 from here; Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Latest version is 4.20... 1 pass with my x58 system with 6GB of ram takes 45min... yours will be longer... but once you get a pass or two then you should be safe to run windows and run a Linx test to really stress out the memory.

Vin
              Main Rig
              OS = Win10-64Bit
              Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
              MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
              OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
              Mem = 24GB RAM
              GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
              PSU = Corsair TX750
              Case = Define R5

Comment

Thanks a lot...

The Z68, I got the timings down to 9-9-9-27. I don't see much of a difference or feel different and the system is stable so I suppose I will leave it at these timings of 9 and 27. It is still at 1600 Mhz as well.

I think I decided on not mixing the RAM for the X58. I'll just use 3 of the 4 sticks of 4G that I have for 12G total. I thought it should've been fine especially all being Kingston but I keep reading advice against mixing. Now, the steps you outlined for the X58 still apply if I am not mixing, correct?

Comment

actually I have a correction.. but I'll get to that in a sec.

you thought is correct... and adding a 4th stick in a 3 channel motherboard I wouldn't recommend or mixing memory, as it should always work, you could be asking for trouble... and in an x58 you should either have 3 sticks or 6 sticks, nothing in between.

and that's the thing... mild timing changes and mild frequency changes will not give you a noticable difference in day to day use....

now for the correction...

you are running your memory at 1066Mhz that is a ratio of 2:8 (or x8 in the bios) with an Uncore of x16 on your system

Setting the ratio to x10 with an uncore of x20 will put your memory at 1333Mhz, not 1600Mhz

what you want to do is set the memory ratio to x12 with an uncore of x24. that will get you to 1600Mhz

With nearly doubling your memory frequency you might notice a small difference.

sorry for the mistake, I thought you were already at 1333Mhz when I looked at your screenshot.

Vin
                  Main Rig
                  OS = Win10-64Bit
                  Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                  MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                  Mem = 24GB RAM
                  GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                  PSU = Corsair TX750
                  Case = Define R5

Comment

So after trying these settings and some other tweaks, I constantly got blue screen of death. So, I reverted back to the settings I was using with the old RAM but with the new RAM in and it works fine again. Having taken note of the boot up time, it hasn't changed which is cool, at least it didn't get odd and sluggish or anything. It's stable and seems the same as before except now I have 12G of RAM, so I'm happy

Comment

If you are OK, then that great... with the mild setting changes you wouldn't had noticed any real increases...

what Blue Screens did you get? did you note them?

Vin
                      Main Rig
                      OS = Win10-64Bit
                      Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                      MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                      Mem = 24GB RAM
                      GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                      PSU = Corsair TX750
                      Case = Define R5

Comment

yep, it was 0x0000007b stop error.

When I put the settings back, it was fine. It could possibly be though that the X58 doesn't support 1600.
                        So I don't know may be I'll try it with the other speeds like 1333 but may be not, we'll see.

Comment

1600 shouldn't be an issue in an x58, I ran memory at 1600 for a few years and recently setup 2000Mhz and that's what in my rig now...

for help if you want to get that up there and sorted out you need to provide all your bios settings. otherwise if you're happy. then we're good.

Vin
                          Main Rig
                          OS = Win10-64Bit
                          Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                          MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                          Mem = 24GB RAM
                          GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                          PSU = Corsair TX750
                          Case = Define R5

Comment

Thank you Vin I will keep that in mind. Which info would you need exactly? If I change my mind about it I will post that info up.

Comment

Originally posted by essotereh View Post
                              Thank you Vin I will keep that in mind. Which info would you need exactly? If I change my mind about it I will post that info up.
                              Advanced CPU Features:
                              CPU Clock Ratio ................................. [xx] (x.xx GHz)
                              Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech ................... [xx]
                              CPU Cores Enabled ............................. [All]
                              CPU Multi Threading ........................... [xx]
                              CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) .................... [xx]
                              C3/C6/C7 State Support ..................... [xx]
                              CPU Thermal Monitor .......................... [xx]
                              CPU EIST Function ............................. [xx]
                              Virtualization Technology .................... [xx]
                              Bi-Directional PROCHOT ...................... [xx]

QPI Clock Ratio ................................. [xx] (xxGHz)
                              Uncore Clock Ratio ............................ [xx] (xxMHz)
                              Isonchronous Support ........................ [xx]
                              Virtualization Technology .................... [xx]

Standard Clock Control:
                              Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................... [xxMHz]
                              PCI Express Frequency (MHz) .............. [xxMHz]

Advanced Clock Control:
                              CPU Clock Drive ................................ [xx]
                              PCI Express Clock Drive ...................... [xx]
                              CPU Clock Skew ................................ [xx]
                              IOH Clock Skew ................................ [xx]

Advanced DRAM Features:
                              Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ........... [xx]
                              Performance Enhance ........................ [xx]
                              System Memory Multiplier (SPD) .......... [xx] (xx MHz)
                              DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ............ [xx]

Channel A / B /C Timing Settings:
                              CAS Latency Time ............................ [xx]
                              tRCD .............................................. [xx]
                              tRP ................................................ [xx]
                              tRAS .............................................. [xx]
                              CR................................................ . [xx]

Advanced Voltage Control:
                              Load Line Calibration ......................... [xx]
                              CPU Vcore ...................................... [xxv]
                              QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v .................... [xxxx]
                              CPU PLL 1.800v ............................... [xxxx]
                              PCIE 1.500v .................................... [xxxx]
                              QPI PLL 1.100v ................................ [xx]
                              IOH Core 1.100v .............................. [xx]
                              ICH I/O 1.500v ................................ [xx]
                              ICH Core 1.1v ................................. [xx]

DRAM Voltage 1.500v ....................... [xxv]
                              DRAM Termination 0.750v.................. [xxv]
                              Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v ................... [xx]
                              Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v ................... [xx]
                              Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v ................... [xxv]
                              Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v ............... [xx]
                              Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v ............... [xx]
                              Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v ............... [xx]

Vin
                              Main Rig
                              OS = Win10-64Bit
                              Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                              MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                              Mem = 24GB RAM
                              GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                              PSU = Corsair TX750
                              Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
                              X