X58-USB3 and 8GB DDR3 Sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X58-USB3 and 8GB DDR3 Sticks

I am curious if anyone has tried 8GB RAM sticks with this MB. I'm currently maxed out at 24GB RAM but would like a bit more for my VMs running and RAM Drive so I was thinking about giving some of the DDR3 8GB sticks a shot but first I'd like to know if anyone has tried this configuration. I'm fully aware it's not supported be the manufacturer be that doesn't always mean it will not work.

Thanks,
    Joe

Re: X58-USB3 and 8GB DDR3 Sticks

it should work,but you might need a lot more qpi/vtt voltage with the more memory you have
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I know the board was never certified with the 8GB sticks, I would hope just because 8GB sticks were really not out or popular, not because it cannot address the RAM addresses on each stick beyond 4GB. I think I'm going to give it a shot to see if I can make it work, maybe start with two 8GB sticks just to see if it is recognized. Yes, I'd have to pull out all my other RAM to test it out and run it in dual channel mode but I don't want to spend too much for something I don't even know would work for certain. If it doesn't work, I plan to use the RAM in my next computer build, although I hope that is at least another year away.

Also, I'd be looking for just DDR3 1600 RAM, no need for faster unless the price is right. Now to look for a good price.

Any additional thoughts?

Comment

i know the samsung green work fine in my sig,and its cheap in the us too

acebmxer used them in his x58 board
        Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
        Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
        Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
        Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
        1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
        1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
        Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
        Razer Lycosa Keyboard
        Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
        Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
        K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
        L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
        Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
        Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
        http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
        Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'd be more curious if the CPU would address it. I believe all x58 CPU's can only address up to 24GB...

What CPU are you running? my i7-920 according to Intels ARK says 24GB max

Memory Specifications
          Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)
          24 GB
          Memory Types
          DDR3-800/1066
          # of Memory Channels
          Max Memory Bandwidth
          25.6 GB/s
          Physical Address Extensions
          36-bit
          ECC Memory Supported
          No
          Vin
          Main Rig
          OS = Win10-64Bit
          CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
          Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
          MB = Asus ROG C6H
          GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
          HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
          PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
          Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
          OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
          CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
          Mem = 24GB RAM
          MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
          GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
          HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
          Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
          PSU = Corsair TX750
          Case = Define R5

Comment

Damn, I only looked to verify it was a 36 bit address. I have an i7-950 so yes, according to Intel it only handles up to 24GB RAM. That really sucks because I already purchased the 32GB new RAM. Just looked into Ive Bridge, guess I could suck it up and buy a new MB and CPU that actually support 32GB RAM. That would at least give me the opportunity to rebuild a new computer and upgrade my wives and daughters computers with my old one. Sure they only surf the internet but their old one is glitching on them with random reboots periodically. I've got to try to see the positive here but it is difficult since when I upgrade my system, I'm not gaining much in CPU capability unfortunately. I guess there are other options like a PCI-E RAM board or RAM Disk board. I hope those still exist because I'd just create a 32GB Drive and I'd be happy with that on top of my already 24GB System RAM. And I really didn't want to spend any more money.

Comment

ya, I think you're hooped. and I thought you needed 40bit addressing for 32GB... but maybe that's for 128GB

Vin
              Main Rig
              OS = Win10-64Bit
              Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
              MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
              OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
              Mem = 24GB RAM
              GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
              PSU = Corsair TX750
              Case = Define R5

Comment

Originally posted by JoeSchmuckatelli View Post
                Damn, I only looked to verify it was a 36 bit address. I have an i7-950 so yes, according to Intel it only handles up to 24GB RAM. That really sucks because I already purchased the 32GB new RAM. Just looked into Ive Bridge, guess I could suck it up and buy a new MB and CPU that actually support 32GB RAM. That would at least give me the opportunity to rebuild a new computer and upgrade my wives and daughters computers with my old one. Sure they only surf the internet but their old one is glitching on them with random reboots periodically. I've got to try to see the positive here but it is difficult since when I upgrade my system, I'm not gaining much in CPU capability unfortunately. I guess there are other options like a PCI-E RAM board or RAM Disk board. I hope those still exist because I'd just create a 32GB Drive and I'd be happy with that on top of my already 24GB System RAM. And I really didn't want to spend any more money.
                Are you sure you didn't have this already planned out in advance? LOL J/K

Comment

Originally posted by ibConners View Post
                  Are you sure you didn't have this already planned out in advance? LOL J/K
                  Subconsciously maybe I did. But with the wife headed to Germany for almost a month, just buying new furniture, and some other things going on, it will be a few months before I can spend over $300 on any component. Hopefully I can locate a way to use these as a RAM Disk.

Comment

you can get DDR2 SATA Ram disks modules, but the hold back on those are the SATA speeds... I have not found RAM drive modules that support DDR3 because certain SSD's can saturate the SATA port as well...

so to use your DDR3 modules as a RAM drive your MB needs to support the addressing.

if you end up upgrading to have more ram and also a worth while RAM drive then I recommend going to the LGA2011 platform, get a MB with 8 ram slots and a i7-3820 can support up to 64GB of ram. and pending if the MB supports it all Xeon CPU's in the 2011 family support up to 375GB

Vin
                    Main Rig
                    OS = Win10-64Bit
                    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                    MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                    Mem = 24GB RAM
                    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                    PSU = Corsair TX750
                    Case = Define R5

Comment

Something I'm not clear on is the real difference between a Xeon CPU and a i7 CPU, or should I say Server vs. Desktop CPU. What impact would that have on my home computer. I don't play games anymore, grew out of that. I recall when Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (all words, no graphics) was a hot game. Make sure you drink lots of beer!

But what applications would be slower, or faster. Aren't the thermal requirements much higher for a Xeon (125+ Watts). Of course I wouldn't be using the CPU at high speeds probably 98% of the time. And I know the costs are higher of course, probably not worth it for a home system?

The other RAM I have is 24GB (6x4GB) DDR3 1600 (triple channel).

And I did see there were products for DDR2 RAM for a RAM Drive but I also didn't see anything for DDR3. Oh well, maybe it is time for a new CPU and MB. I can take the old system and just give it to my wife or make a test platform for ESXi, something I haven't had the ability to play with yet.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them rolling, it's all a good read.

Comment

DDR3 RAMdisk modules don't exist I believe because SSD's are fast, a good DDR2 module would saturate SATAII, Today SSD's saturate SataIII ports.... to have a faster RAM drive it has to reside directly on the MB to get higher bandwidth...

Xeon's run from a different spec and tolerance level, some xeon's are near the same price as their counterpart i7-920/Xeon W3520, where here the Xeon was the same price, just harder to get.

Here are two 2011's that I believe are nearly the same, here the Xeon multi is locked... but the Xeon is cheaper. The Xeon lacks DMI (not sure why and what that would affect though on a desktop)

Name Cores Threads Frequency Turbo Boost Multiplier L2 cache L3 cache TDP Release Date Price (US)
                        Core i7-3820 4 8 3.60 GHz 3.80 GHz Partially Unlocked 1 4 x 256KB 10MB 130W 2012-02-14 $305
                        Xeon E5 1620 4 8 3.60 GHz 3.90 GHz 38 4 x 256KB 10MB 130W Q1 2012[19][20] $294

Info; LGA 2011 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Confirmation;
                        Intel ARK i7-3820;
                        Intel Xeon E5-1620;

but my past experience with 775 Xeon's is they are more solid and predictable, will operate usually at a lower voltage (only by a little), OC'ing isn't a guarantee if at all, sometimes temps are better... so just like any CPU/CPU comparison it's a crap chute.

Vin
                        Main Rig
                        OS = Win10-64Bit
                        Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                        MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                        Mem = 24GB RAM
                        GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                        PSU = Corsair TX750
                        Case = Define R5

Comment

That's for all that information. Now I'm seriously going to look at a Xeon.

Thanks Vin for all your advice.

Joe

Comment

So I got the RAM in and I removed the six 4GB sticks and installed the three 8GB sticks. Now I'm running triple channel memory still and 24GB RAM still. So no change in performance, just a very slight power and heat reduction.

I took four of the six 4GB sticks and placed those in my FreeNAS machine, replacing four 2GB sticks. This was my original goal but I also wanted to up my main computer RAM to 32 GB. Oh well. I have all the extra RAM in proper carriers and can use them for the next upgrade I make. Maybe that one will be a 64GB RAM machine, who knows but my eyes are now open to CPU limitations in addressing RAM. I'm done spending money for the next few months.

Comment

Happy and sad for you, but now you know.

Vin
                              Main Rig
                              OS = Win10-64Bit
                              Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                              MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                              Mem = 24GB RAM
                              GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                              PSU = Corsair TX750
                              Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
                              X