GA-EX58-UD5 - Convert Raid0 to non raid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-EX58-UD5 - Convert Raid0 to non raid

I have two 1TB hard drives configured as RAID 0. I want to convert the drives to non raid disks. I'd like to test the drives, format them and put Windows 7. How would I go about doing this. I have Win 7 64 bit.

Re: GA-EX58-UD5 - Convert Raid0 to non raid

On Boot-up, after the post screen you'll see a RAID display window showing the raid as active and showing your Member Disk. at that window press CTRL+I or possibly CTRL+R... in there you will see an option to disable/delete your raid configuration. there are only 4 options, and once in there its pretty clear.

then on Re-boot you will see the RAID option load up but you will see no RAID configured and two non-member disks. now you have 2 individual disks.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Vin
    Main Rig
    OS = Win10-64Bit
    CPU = Ryzen 1700x Overclocked to 4Ghz with custom water-cooling loop
    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
    MB = Asus ROG C6H
    GPU = Asus 1080Ti ROG Strix
    HD = 512GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
    PSU = EVGA SuperNOVA 1300w
    Case = Cooler Master HAF-X 945

HTPC / Home Server
    OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
    CPU = i7-980X @ 3.5Ghz CoolerMasster Hyper 212 Evo
    Mem = 24GB RAM
    MB = Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 v1.0 with F6 Bios
    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
    HD = 2x PNY 120GB Raid 0 (OS)
    Storage = 8TB WD Black Storage
    PSU = Corsair TX750
    Case = Define R5

Comment

Since I have to use chkdsk often about 2x a week... I believe I have lots of bad sectors. Should I use Seagates SeaTools long test? it failed the short test, but Im not sure if thats because its still in raid 0...

I just want to make sure i do things in the right order... :) Any help is much appreciated.

Comment

if you have another system, I'd take both drives out and test them individually again with Seatools. start with the short test, if it fails then no need to do the long.

only perform the long if the short passed and you still suspect something is wrong, but a 1TB drive could take 4-8hrs to complete.

if you don't have a second System, something you can try is download this ISO and burn it to a CD. Ultimate Boot CD - Overview there is a HDD test and Seatools for Dos is on this.

Go in to your Bios (Del key on boot up), go to "Integrated Peripherals" and change "ICH SATA Control Mode" from RAID to IDE then save and re-boot.

On bootup press F12 to select the boot options window and boot from the CD and go to the HDD tools and re-run Seatools on each drive as described above.

if everything is good, then go back to "Integrated Peripherals" in the bios and change "ICH SATA Control Mode" from IDE to RAID and then your system should be good to run. if you still want to run single disks then follow my instructions in Post 2.

if you have any other questions feel free to ask

Vin
        Main Rig
        OS = Win10-64Bit
        Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
        MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
        OS = Win7 64Bit running XBMC HTPC Front end with Windows Server 2012 Virtual Machine with 12GB ram assigned for homer server
        Mem = 24GB RAM
        GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
        PSU = Corsair TX750
        Case = Define R5

Comment

Both drives passed seatools short test. however now I've got another couple of problems. Now one drive, the master recognizes, the slave isnt recognized. thing is I installed win 7 on both drives but cant figure how to get the slave to show up. it does show up in the bios but it says it has 0mb. The master seems like its flying and going great.

My other problem is the Seatools dos cd now doesnt boot, it freezes right as its about to pop up on the screen... so I cant test either drive further...

Comment

you had issues before, i believe you may have found it. if you are set as RAID, then the Raid controller has the drives and they will not appear in the Bios. they should appear in the RAID config CTRL+I... if you are set as IDE, then you should see the drives in the Bios.

at that point what I would do if possible is to test it in a second PC. if you have a second PC but don't have the means to connect the HDD to it, this is the best option; Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2 - Newegg.com

I'd go from there.

Vin
            Main Rig
            OS = Win10-64Bit
            Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
            MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
            Mem = 24GB RAM
            GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
            PSU = Corsair TX750
            Case = Define R5

Comment

Baby steps :) switched to ide and now the bios sees both drives, yet in windows its still just the 1 master drive...

Comment

Ok found the fix.

Needed to download the the driver from micron sata controller driver from ftp://driver.jmicron.com.tw/SATA_Controller/Windows/

Comment

Thank you very very much for helping me with the last 2 problems, would have never figured it out otherwise!

Comment

Glad you got it sorted out.

Vin
                    Main Rig
                    OS = Win10-64Bit
                    Mem = 16GB RAM @ 3200Mhz
                    MB = Asus ROG C6H

HTPC / Home Server
                    Mem = 24GB RAM
                    GPU = EVGA nVidia GT210
                    PSU = Corsair TX750
                    Case = Define R5

Comment

Working...
                    X