X79S-UP5 BIOS Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X79S-UP5 BIOS Issues

Hello people, first post here I guess so I'll introduce myself first. I'm BLEH!, from the UK, a few of you may know me from the G3D forums, but they sent me here, so here I am! :)

Been having no end of issues with my Gigabyte X79S-UP5. CPU is a 3930K C2, RAM is either 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24-T2 or Dominator GT 2000 MHz (1866 MHz) 9-10-9-27-2T (1.65 V).

I bought this board as a workstation (for the firewire and many, many hard drive ports) and gaming peice (Xfire 7970s) hoping it'd fulfill both roles nice, but I've had issues since day 1.

Came with F3 BIOS, had the throttling issue there, updated through several to find a fix, settled on F4u as this worked nicely for a good few months, but overclock was still limted to 4.3 GHz ish, but with the Dominator GT RAM at 1866 MHz. Figured I'd try the newer BIOSes to see if that would help things... nope.

Updated to F4 to start with, no end of issues emerge. OC is unusable, throttles under load, although it seems MCE is enabled by default and when the CPU hits a wall at 190 W of power usage then throttles down from 3.8, even at stock speeds. XMP stopped working, completely, on both RAM kits. The most annoying thing is I can't simply flash back to F4u, it's blocked, completely, and I don't want to risk bricking my motherboard by purposely corrupting it, as the stupid thing flashed the backup BIOS as well. I've tried the varios F5x beta BIOSes to no avail. With a bit of coercion (and redoing the BIOS through Qflash) I can get the Vengeance running at 1600 MHz at the right timings with a bit of a bump to uncore and IMC voltage (where before it ran fine at stock), but the Dominator GT won't play ball at 1600 or 1866. The new BIOSes seem incapable of reading memory timings correctly and set the incorrect ones for the speed the RAM is running at.

The place I bought it from did offer to send it back to Gigabyte for me for a BIOS flashback but I'm in the middle of writing my PhD thesis and thus can't be without the rig right now. Their tech support have been far from helpful in this regard with the throttling or the XMP issue.

Long of the short:

Anyone have similar experiences?

Are there any fixes?

Thanks for reading the wall of text.

BLEH!

Re: X79S-UP5 BIOS Issues

Nobody had similar problems with this board?

Comment

Working...
    X