GA-P55A-UD7 will not run Win 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA-P55A-UD7 will not run Win 8

I have an old GA-P55A-UD7 board that has become my wife's machine. She does not like me to mess with the computer. I have a spotty history of "this should be simple" turning into a small fire and new hardware. She is gone for 3 days so I figured this was the time. This is day two. Today I tried to install the ISO of Win 8 pro 64 bit over a Win 7 Pro 64 bit. It accepted my serial number and moved on. I instructed win 8 install to preserve apps and info.

After a couple hours or so of self flagellation, the last reboot brought up a boot list of 7 or 8. I chose 8. It said 8 can not boot. 7 boots, but with applications missing (e.g., Firefox).

Looking at the motherboard drivers from Gigabyte, I don't see anything for Win 8.

Any suggestions of where to go next on this?
    Last edited by alternety; 10-04-2014, 04:40 PM.
    Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
    i7 3770
    2 X 8GB F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL DDR3 1600 1.5V GSkill Ripjaws
    Integrated graphics
    Seasonic Platinum 760W
    be quite! Dark Rock Pro 2
    Fractal Define XL R2 case
    Win 8.1 64 Pro

Re: GA-P55A-UD7 will not run Win 8

you have a spare hdd to do a clean install of win8 onto? might have issues with installing over the top of win7
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

That is a possibility. I am trying to transfer data and applications. That is supposed to work from 7 to 8. I believe my ISO and key is for a new install. It should work as an upgrade.

I reran a program from MS about compatibility for upgrade. It pointed to an HP printer. Which has actually been an ongoing problem under 7. I uninstalled that printer and tried again. Got a BSOD. And it went through timed processes (if you don't do something, we will) which went past the original problem before I came back with a cold one. What a stupid choice (not the cold one). Why would one not want a failed boot to stop on the problem and wait for a human. Duh!
      Last edited by alternety; 10-04-2014, 07:11 PM.
      Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
      i7 3770
      Integrated graphics
      Seasonic Platinum 760W
      Win 8.1 64 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by alternety View Post
        That is a possibility. I am trying to transfer data and applications. That is supposed to work from 7 to 8. I believe my ISO and key is for a new install. It should work as an upgrade.

I reran a program from MS about compatibility for upgrade. It pointed to an HP printer. Which has actually been an ongoing problem under 7. I uninstalled that printer and tried again. Got a BSOD. And it went through timed processes (if you don't do something, we will) which went past the original problem before I came back with a cold one. What a stupid choice (not the cold one). Why would one not want a failed boot to stop on the problem and wait for a human. Duh!
        Absolutely the board is supported. It's odd if you did an upgrade though, that a boot prompt would show up, as if it was dual-boot install.

I would do as above and do a fresh install of Windows 8. You can even enable UEFI if not already enabled and Windows 8 will easily install with UEFI where as Windows 7 was difficult.

Good luck!

Comment

I did not think that board supported UEFI.
          Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
          i7 3770
          Integrated graphics
          Seasonic Platinum 760W
          Win 8.1 64 Pro

Comment

I tried to get it to work multiple times. Every time it tries to boot 8, it flashes new new BSOD for maybe a second, and then reboots. At one point it opened a browser window and appears to have sent a message to MS with the name actionable report. I have no idea what that was about. One of my tries to boot brought a window with the message that we can not install win 8 on this computer.

I think the "dual boot" is the backup copy of seven it keeps until the install is complete. I eventually got a message that I could have it restore the state to what it was before the Win 8 install attempt. I took that path.

Nowhere in the processes did I see any actual informative messages or failure codes. I really did not want to lose installed stuff. A lot of old things that I have no idea where to find the install software.
            Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe
            i7 3770
            Integrated graphics
            Seasonic Platinum 760W
            Win 8.1 64 Pro

Comment

Working...
            X