Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GA Z97X-UD5H fan headers

Hi,

Will probably use this board for my first ever build. Reviews are moaning about fan header placement at the bottom. I'm new to all this, so do I need some kind of extension cables to reach fans at the top of the case? Haven't any parts yet.
    GA-Z97X-UD5H rev1.0, i7-4790K
    Noctua NH-D15
    HyperX fury 2x8GB 1866MHz
    Crucial MX100 512GB SSD, WD Black 3TB HDD
    MSI GTX980, Cooler Master V850
    Fractal ARC XL
    Sound Blaster Z
    Samsung 24x SATA DVD writer

Re: GA Z97X-UD5H fan headers

Originally posted by Mr Blobby View Post
    Hi,

Will probably use this board for my first ever build. Reviews are moaning about fan header placement at the bottom. I'm new to all this, so do I need some kind of extension cables to reach fans at the top of the case? Haven't any parts yet.
    Since this is your first build, and you have not listed a case or other parts I would hold off buying any extension cables until you get the board mounted in your choice of case. However, depending on the case it's not unusual to need to extend some fan cables.

I make all my cabling from scratch but that is probably more than you want to jump into.
    Good luck with your build.
    Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
    Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
    PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
    Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
    Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
    HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
    SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

Originally posted by boondocks View Post
      Since this is your first build, and you have not listed a case or other parts I would hold off buying any extension cables until you get the board mounted in your choice of case. However, depending on the case it's not unusual to need to extend some fan cables.

I make all my cabling from scratch but that is probably more than you want to jump into.
      Good luck with your build.
      Thanks for the reply

FWIW, at the moment I'm thinking of this:
      GA Z97X-UD5H
      i7 4790k
      Noctua NH D15
      Fractal Arc XL with err.. 'some' (lol) noctua fans at the top.

Thanks for the 'good luck' too. Think I'll need it. :)
      GA-Z97X-UD5H rev1.0, i7-4790K
      Noctua NH-D15
      HyperX fury 2x8GB 1866MHz
      Crucial MX100 512GB SSD, WD Black 3TB HDD
      MSI GTX980, Cooler Master V850
      Fractal ARC XL
      Sound Blaster Z
      Samsung 24x SATA DVD writer

Comment

I'm not sure why anyone would complain about fan header placement considering fan extension cables are so cheap.

Plus, cases are made now to route cables in such a way as to hide them, meaning you'll need extra cable length anyway.

I ended up getting two of these for my front case fans: Silverstone CPF03 Black Sleeved PWM Fan Power Extension Cable - Newegg.com.

Comment

All of the System/Chassis fan headers are located at the very bottom of the board, four of them.

IMO, that is a logical place to put them if you want to hide the fan cables, they can be routed directly behind the mobo tray through the cable openings in the mobo tray.

Plus it's not like there is a standard fan cable length, they're all different lengths. Who knows what case a fan will be used in, or where it will be mounted.

Some people complain when a fan cable is not the perfect length for their situation, talk about childish, yes the entire world revolves around you and your PC...

Comment

Originally posted by parsec View Post
            All of the System/Chassis fan headers are located at the very bottom of the board, four of them.

IMO, that is a logical place to put them if you want to hide the fan cables, they can be routed directly behind the mobo tray through the cable openings in the mobo tray.

Plus it's not like there is a standard fan cable length, they're all different lengths. Who knows what case a fan will be used in, or where it will be mounted.

Some people complain when a fan cable is not the perfect length for their situation, talk about childish, yes the entire world revolves around you and your PC...
            lol.
            I just make all my own cables/fan harnesses. Problem solved! But I remember when it was all a mystery to me.
            Maximus 8 Hero/6700K @ 4.8/4x4GB LPX @ 3200 15-17-17-36 CR1
            Case Labs SM8 w/dual pedestals / Custom water w/ acrylic pipe / Light box
            PowerColor 390Xw/EK block / Samsung 840 Pro 256GBx2 RAID 0 / 128GBx1 SSD's | 3 HDD's / DVD burner
            Dual Aquaero 5 Pro controllers for pumps & fans / FC9 for led's only 2xD5 pwm w/Bitspower tops - MCP35x2 - 3x480 rads/1x240 rad/AP15 fans / EK supremcy
            Seasonic Platinum 1000w custom fabbed/sleeved psu wiring by me

Wifes: Z77X-UD5H / 3770K w/c with Raystorm copper block & 2 Rads/ Kingston HyperX RAM / Switch 810 case/ PowerColor AX7950 w/EK block
            HTPC: Z68 Pro3 M / 2105

SOLD:Z97X-UD5H /4790K/F11b mod BIOS/[email protected] 4x4GB Kingston Genesis KHX24C11X3K4 2400 RAM 11-13-13-30
            SOLD:Z87X-UD5H /4770K

Comment

I had to make a sleeved cable extension for Chassis fan1 when building on the z97x-ud5h. But this was actually due to the lian li case I was using for the build. So, I definitely agree that it depends on the case you are using for the build. My next two builds had side panels windows with airflow fans (Antec, Coolmaster). So the bottom headers were well placed. But, those boards actually had a chassis fan header at the usual position close to the back panel. This is the z97x-Gaming 7 and the z97x-soc boards.

I'm currently using an NZXT case on my z87-ud4h which I really love. Excellent air flow.
              i7 8700k - z370 Asus Rog maximus 10 hero(wifi) (soho)
              G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB
              Corsair PSU, 1
              080Ti EVGA
              960 Samsung Evo , 2 WD Black Storage.
              Builds - Z97x-Gaming 7(media center) . Gigabyte x399 - Gaming 7 Threadripper 1950x (workstation)

Comment

Working...
              X