Keep failing memtest86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep failing memtest86

hi, i just built a system last week and had to rma a memory set due to them failing memtest86.

replacement set came in today.
    ran them through memtest86 and i still get errors.
    i get an error at 92% 1st pass. this is the same point where my rma'd set started throwing errors.

any suggestion?

thanks

gigabyte ga-z97-d3h
    i5 4690k
    corsair vengeance pro ddr3 1866 16gb
    evga 750 g2

Re: Keep failing memtest86

Are they set to run at 1866 and how if they are?
    Have you tested each stick individually?
    Please fill your system specs in your profile, memory part number, board rev. and BIOS vers. as well

Comment

Originally posted by Chike View Post
      Are they set to run at 1866 and how if they are?
      Have you tested each stick individually?
      Please fill your system specs in your profile, memory part number, board rev. and BIOS vers. as well

yes, they are set at 1866 by choosing xmp profile 1. voltage at 1.5v (9-10-9-27)

i did try them individually on different slots as well and they all fail at 1st pass 91%, which is hammer test phase?

i tried running them through an older version of memtest86 (no hammer test), and there is no error after 2 passes.
      so my guess is, this memory set is just not able to pass the hammer test regardless?

memorey part - CMY16GX3M2A1866C9R
      gigabyte ga-z97-d3 - rev 1.1, bios f8 (latest)
      4690k (turbo enabled, no overclock)

Comment

Disable the xmp profile and manually set your basic timings 9-10-9-27, leave the rest on auto, try upping your ram voltage a bit 1.55-1.6 and hit up the corsair forums for some advice.
        i7-3930K
        GA-x79-UD3
        Corsair H100
        4x2GB GSkill F3-12800CL6
        X-Fi Titanium HD
        EVGA GTX 970
        Pioneer BDR-207DBK
        Samsung 850 EVO
        3XWD2002FYPS
        Corsair TX850
        Dell U2412M

Comment

Seems there is not much to do about it other than replacing RAM, or ignore it.
          PassMark MemTest86 - Memory Diagnostic Tool - Troublingshooting Memory Errors

I've tested my memory and I get about 1800 x 2 error in hammer test, lowering TREFI did help to lower the number of errors to around 600 ut did not eliminate them.

Comment

i doubt going for another replacement would fix the problem.
            out of original set and replacement set, not a single stick is able to pass hammer test.
            but all sticks do pass if i test them with an earlier version of memtest86, which does not do hammer test.

i guess i either have to live with the fact that this particular corsair memory set is just not able to pass hammer test or return it, then go for completely different memory.
            i think i am going to try memtest86+ as well, and if that works out, i am sticking to the set that i have.

what do you guys think?

thanks

Comment

I'm happy testing with Prime95, Intel's Linpack and an h.264 encoder. I prime for 3 hours as a quick test and do a 24 hour final test, then do some video encoding with ripbot. If it goes off without a hitch I call it stable. For testing memory errors I use memtest.
              i7-3930K
              GA-x79-UD3
              Corsair H100
              4x2GB GSkill F3-12800CL6
              X-Fi Titanium HD
              EVGA GTX 970
              Pioneer BDR-207DBK
              Samsung 850 EVO
              3XWD2002FYPS
              Corsair TX850
              Dell U2412M

Comment

Originally posted by Peakr View Post
                I'm happy testing with Prime95, Intel's Linpack and an h.264 encoder. I prime for 3 hours as a quick test and do a 24 hour final test, then do some video encoding with ripbot. If it goes off without a hitch I call it stable. For testing memory errors I use memtest.

memtest / memtest86 / memtest86+

are they all little bit different from one another?
                what i am asking is, is it possible to have errors in one and nothing in other?

if you ever find time, would you be able to test your memory using the newest memtest86?
                i am just curious to see if anyone else is having a problem passing hammer test.

thanks

Comment

just ran memtest86+ 6 hours.
                  3 passes with no error.

Comment

I've had trouble with some versions of memtest86 in the past so I don't rely on it too much. Sometimes I use memtest86+ for testing outside the OS though, usually version 4.2 iso burned to a cd. This version doesn't support UEFI though. I think the troubles arise with certain versions of memtest86 and certain cpu/motherboard combos. For me Prime95 has always been a good indication of stability and HCI's memtest is excellent at sniffing out memory errors.
                    i7-3930K
                    GA-x79-UD3
                    Corsair H100
                    4x2GB GSkill F3-12800CL6
                    X-Fi Titanium HD
                    EVGA GTX 970
                    Pioneer BDR-207DBK
                    Samsung 850 EVO
                    3XWD2002FYPS
                    Corsair TX850
                    Dell U2412M

Comment

yeah, 3 passes in memtest86+ is good enough for me.
                      i am not gonna bother anymore unless i encounter BSOD.

thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X