Help me bring this beast back from the dead. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 V2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me bring this beast back from the dead. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 V2.0

I got this mobo rom a lost storage and i managed to pick up a 500w new psu, a i7 920 and one 8gb compatible ram and tried to fire it up and i just got christmas tree light all over the board and post code 88 for 2 seconds and then shuts down with only power and cmos button lights on.

Tried to fire it up with power button but no avail, only disconeting and reconecting psu and fires right up with same issue. I cous do this a couple of times.

Tried some combinations to see if it changed something but it only got worse. Now it only has the power aod cmos lights on with PSU atatched and nothing else happens. is it dead? any sujestions?

I only need to figure out if i can salvage it or if it is scrap.

thanks in advance.

Re: Help me bring this beast back from the dead. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 V2.0

Got some update about my board and i think i got the guilty chips, although i dont know what they are. I started over from scratch, hoocked everything tightly, conected the power and nothing. Started to get nuts and banged the cpu cooler and she came alive again as the first time, all leds lid up and 88 post error, alive for about 5 seconds, even the hard drive kicked started and it died. Didnt manage to bring her back to live again.I did find 2 chips on the board that were blazing hot, it almost burnt my finger, and noticed that their surface had some sort of hole in them. Perhaps these chips are fried might guess. I posted some photos of them 2. One near the power button, another near the pci-ex slots.
    Attached Files

Comment

Re: Help me bring this beast back from the dead. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 V2.0

Did you leave this mobo stored in a humid area? Old circuits tend corrode when stored like that and also get solder "Tin whiskers" from ROHS lead free solder. I currently run the Rev 1 UD7 as a spare PC that was retired for a year and brought back with Xeon CPU and runs fine. Looking at the pic, I don't see any hole in any chips or burn't ones, unless my eyes are lazy right now......Do you have the large heatpipe that goes on that northbridge fitted?

Comment

Working...
      X