Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSD visible but not accessible

Re: SSD visible but not accessible

RunCore 1.8 ZIF has USB port, just use the 5pin USB cable.
    pls make sure the cable is fasten right
    In the USB box, when connecting SSD, you can upsite the Cable, try it.
    I think upsite the cable, it will works fine!
    I also have install instruction, if you need, i will mail to you

Comment

yeah, what he said.
      if it shows up when in the caddy, but then quickly dissapears, one end of the zif cable is the wrong way up.
      Now good luck pushing it back in without damaging it or the disk...

Comment

Comment

hi guys
          If you install the zif cable uncorrectly, the SSD shows up as a removable disk in windows, and you double clip the disk, it shows I/O error.
          So, follow me pls~
          1.connect the blue end to ssd, and let the blue side downwards~
          2.put the ssd into the caddy, let the zif connector downwards~
          3.connect the green end to the usb adaptor, and let the green side upwards~
          ummm...that's right~ connect the usb cable to the notebook, RUNCORE SSD shows up~~
          have a try~~

Comment

Ok, got a replacement device, with the 5-pin USB cable, so no longer dependant on the caddy or the ZIF ribbon cable, to get the device cloned.

Have been using the SSD drive for over a month, now, in a HP Compaq 2510p (1.2GHz U7600 Core2 with 4GB memory)

and yes it is faster but problems are:

1. Overheating - if the drive is any level of sustained writes/reads it quickly overheats and causes a BSOD, normally with 0x000000F4 as the error code.

Ocassionally it really crashes with Page I/O errors, causing a ChkDsk on reboot.

The CPU cores are never getting above 70c, as measured by CoreTemp, but without additional cooling, with external fans, the machine will only run for 20 mins, doing normal Email/Word/Excel. Give it some disk intensive operation, such as processing photographs (NEF -> JPEG), converting to PDF etc. and this drops very quickly.

Even with a desk fan directed at the machine, operating at full speed, a BSOD is experienced each day.

This is particularly the case when the docking station, when the machine is driving an external monitor and multiple USB devices.

I have adjusted the BIOS to ensure that the fan is running when on AC Power.

Is it a faulty disk - given that the CPU Core temp never gets close to the 70c edge of operating range?

Trouble is, my disk usage has now grown beyond the original HDD @ 100 GBs, so it is no longer a simple job of cloning back to the HDD and returning back the SSD - RunCore would you propose a solution and maybe send me a replacement and I will return this device to you?

2. Write Delay Errors - normally after recovering from Hibernate or Standby, there are normally a file that is unwritten, which Windows will report in an annoying ballon.

I have unchecked the Write Delay setting for the Disk, which does reduce the occurance, but not completely get rid of it.

3. Read/Write freezes - sometimes the device locks in a Read/Write cycle locking the whole machine for up to 1 minute. Not as long as some have reported, but still annoying, given that the rest of the time, when under the additional cooling, disk access is much quicker.

So, overall summary - yes there are performance improvements, but the lack of reliability due to overheating, Write delay errors, and Disk freezing makes it unusable in the mid-long term.

Unless a replacement/solution is offered I am forced to investigate a 128GB HDD option, at incremental expense.

Thanks,
            Simon

Comment

hi simon maybe it s a defective one.
              you could contact with the distributor, i think you may get a satified answer from where you buy ~

Comment

Hi thanks for the response - but the problem is this:

1. This SSD is already a replacement from the Distributor - the first wouldn't clone
                2. It has been 2 months since I received the replacement and start experiencing the 'Overheat' problem causing the BSOD.
                3. The image size on the SSD, given I have the 128GB product, is now larger than the original HDD it replaced (only 80GB) so I don't have a suitable device to replace the SSD with. I need my Laptop for work everyday, so can't be without it. The distributor is only going to take the current SSD back as a return (RMA), and then issue a replacement once they have tested it - this will take numerous days and my machine will be down and out of use.

What I need is a replacement 128GB 1.8 SSD to clone off the current device, and then swap them out, without any downtime, returning the original drive and leaving its replacement hopefully working away.

I don't want to have to invest in a replacement 120GB HDD to replace the SSD while it is being replaced by your distributor. This is the reason I got the SSD in the first place.

So what is your suggestion - because the SSD causes my machine to crash about 2-3 times a day, which is not great.

Thanks,
                Simon.
                Last edited by simes_pep; 08-25-2009, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Still waiting for a response for RunCore on what to do with this potentially faulty SSD device.

The distributor is awaiting stock, and has been for several months, so can do nothing.

Meanwhile I am left with a drive that crashes the laptop when it gets too hot (which happens at least twice a day, even with a fan pointing at it) and freezes during large I/O transfers - fantastic.

Comment

Exchange it for a new Pro IV 1.8" SSD. Your dealer will do the exchange because you cannot get the old one to work properly.

Matt

Comment

Well, just received the replacement (re-purchased) 128GB Zif PATA SSD for my HP 2510p - the Pro IV part RCP-IV-Z1828-C

Cloning went well -no USB microslave on the new model, but better instructions i.e. some on installing it the caddy provided.

Up and running, doesn't seem to getting hot at all - will run some soak tests overnight.

In terms of performance - the stats from Crystal DiskMark are better:

Seq Reads up to 81.40 MB/s from 60.30 MB/s against original HDD of 13.22 MB/s
                      Seq Writes up to 61.55 MB/s from 47.40 MB/s against original HDD of 12.06 MB/s
                      512k Reads up to 72.40 MB/s from 60.83 MB/s against original HDD of 9.649 MB/s
                      512k Writes up to 62.34 MB/s from 39.45 MB/s against original HDD of 7/963 MB/s
                      4k Reads up to 14.65 MB/s from 10.00 MB/s against original HDD of 0.196 MB/s
                      4k Writes up to 8.072 MB/s from 2.043 MB/s against original HDD of 0.343 MB/s

So the overheating Pro III device will be going back to MemoryC in the morning, under Warranty, and refund given.

If the replacement device can maintain these speeds, without any of the overheating and BSD I will be delighted.

Comment

Working...
                      X