Word to the Dremmel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Word to the Dremmel.

This post has no use but to further my ego of modding my aging system :)

Yesterday I was out shopping and found a Dremmel Rotary on Clearance for 40 bucks. Being that I am currently remodeling my bathroom I figured I could use it, and maybe open up some fan holes on my case. Well When I first looked at this thing I was like, WTF, its a screwdriver, that wont cut through metal. Espically when I checked out the cutting wheel, which looks like hard sandpaper. Being proven wrong before however I whipped out the Dremmel, ripped apart the system, put on the safety goggles, and went to town.

First of all, to anyone attempting this, let me warn you, SPARKS!!!
    Yes, Lots and lots of sparks. Be prepared, and never cut the aluminum/steel without eye protection. I didnt realize how much this would spark, but damn it did. Looked like I was welding something.

So anyway, I cut out the stamped fan holes and now the front and back fans are totally opened. This has really cut down on system noise, and brought down my temp a few degrees too. Once I get my digicam I will have an armsload of pics up, and Im thinking of doing a little "This is a decent way to do some basic case modding" Guide. Thats it for now, unless I think of some other way to Dremmel up some more mods, maybe a top exhaust...hmmm....

you should also note that if you happen to get a cutting disc in a bind at high rpms then it will shatter and send small projectiles everywhere.(if it hasn't happened to you yet just wait it will)

IMHO a jigsaw with a good metal blade is the best for all arround cutting.

a drill with a metal holesaw is best for fan openings.

Comment

IMHO a jigsaw with a good metal blade is the best for all arround cutting.

a drill with a metal holesaw is best for fan openings.
      I agree :thumb:

Comment

Just don't modd your fingers cuz that hurt..

Comment

I find no matter what tool I use its always comes out worse then when I started. :mad: I don't think I have any patence.

Comment

Well, my fan hole looks like hell from the inside of the case, but I had to go through 1.2mm Steel and the plastic covering. My jigsaw did it in about 1 min, so cheers to it :cheers: .

Comment

Working...
            X